DAT Math destroyer Test 15 number 35 help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HL86

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assume that the scores on an entrance exam to collegeville are normally distributed with a mean of 70 and a standard deviation of 8. To earn a scholarship a student's score needs to be on the top 2.5%. What is the minimum score that will guarantee a scholarship?

The answer is 86
The solution says: To be the top 2.5% the score should be 2 standard deviations above the mean. 70+8+8=86

I never took statistics, and I don't understand the solution. Can somebody explain this to me?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Our minds aren't equipped to this anymore. Transfer this to the DAT section of the forums.

Reactions: 3 users
Assume that the scores on an entrance exam to collegeville are normally distributed with a mean of 70 and a standard deviation of 8. To earn a scholarship a student's score needs to be on the top 2.5%. What is the minimum score that will guarantee a scholarship?

The answer is 86
The solution says: To be the top 2.5% the score should be 2 standard deviations above the mean. 70+8+8=86

I never took statistics, and I don't understand the solution. Can somebody explain this to me?

Thank you.

Remember the empirical rule for a normal distribution....68-95-99.7.

This diagram may help:
68-95-99.png

68% falls within 1 standard deviation of the mean (34% above, 34% below).
95% falls within 2 standard deviations of the mean.
99.7% falls within 3 standard deviations of the mean.

You want to be in the top 2.5%, which means you want to be ABOVE 2 standard deviations of the mean.

So the answer is 70 + 2(8)= 86.

Reactions: 1 user