DAT? MCAT? OAT? PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jchardy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
ey everyone,

I'm finishing up my first year this winter semester. I want to go into the medical field, not sure exactly which profession yet, however. Most likely only a 4 year program (post undergrad) haha. What is the best way to prepare for all admission exams in one (for most health professions). I want to keep my options open and be able to prepare for mostly all of them as they have some similarities. Has anyone experienced this or have any insight? I am sure there are a lot more like me out there with this question.

Thanks!

Jordan

Members don't see this ad.

If you only want 4 years then you don’t want MD.

Take general bio, general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, biochemistry. Keep your mind and options open, and don’t let the number of years be the only thing that deters you from medicine if it’s what you truly want.

Reactions: 1 user
I have only taken the MCAT so I cannot comment on specific prep or difficulty of the other exams you mentioned; however, I feel like just doing well in your course work would be the best preparation you can get. Better grades (likely) = better grasp of material which will likely lead to ---> better foundation when you do finally decide which direction you wish to take!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a recipe for disaster. Bye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a recipe for disaster. Bye.

just trying to keep my options open. Maybe I worded it wrong but I am trying to study for these "types" of tests and am just wondering which one generally covers most topics.

ey everyone,

I'm finishing up my first year this winter semester. I want to go into the medical field, not sure exactly which profession yet, however. Most likely only a 4 year program (post undergrad) haha. What is the best way to prepare for all admission exams in one (for most health professions). I want to keep my options open and be able to prepare for mostly all of them as they have some similarities. Has anyone experienced this or have any insight? I am sure there are a lot more like me out there with this question.

Thanks!

Jordan

You can't. You have pick one.

just trying to keep my options open. Maybe I worded it wrong but I am trying to study for these "types" of tests and am just wondering which one generally covers most topics.

Volunteer and seek out professionals within those fields to learn more. Good thing is their tracks mostly involve the same classes, so you shouldn’t worry much there. You’re early into the process and have time to explore and figure out what career path to pursue.

I would try to connect with your school’s pre-health advising office and see if they can help point you in the right direction. Odds are they can recommend volunteer gigs, introduce you to students who have been in your shoes, and more.

Pretty much take the general pre-health pre-requisites like gen chem, bio, physics, and biochemistry. Learn the material well then once you actually decide which field you wanna go into you can tailor a specific study schedule for their exam. At that point if you did well in your classes and actually learned, studying for them will be easier.

Ya'll are severely misinterpreting what OP is saying lol. They're not saying they intend to become a pharmacist and a dentist and a doctor and take the MCAT and DAT and PCAT. They're just asking which classes to take to take so they are academically prepared when they decide which profession they would like to pursue.

Reactions: 1 users
I have only taken the MCAT so I cannot comment on specific prep or difficulty of the other exams you mentioned; however, I feel like just doing well in your course work would be the best preparation you can get. Better grades (likely) = better grasp of material which will likely lead to ---> better foundation when you do finally decide which direction you wish to take!
I think this is very true. I didn't do nearly as much studying for the MCAT as I should have. I stupidly scheduled my test three days after my last final exam and I focused on my classes instead. Basically, I greatly underestimated the amount of time I'd need to study for class and my MCAT prep time suffered as a result. The good news is I was taking orgo, physics, and biochem that semester, and I really feel like studying for these three was an excellent MCAT prep.

So, just take your hard sciences, really pay attention, and knock your classes out of the park. That's the best prep there is.