Can MCAT Prep serve as a substitute for OAT, DAT, PCAT Preps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omegaz50

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanna to apply to medical, dental, and optometry schools. I now use the Kaplan and EK book sets to study for the MCAT. Since you guys know all about the OAT, DAT, and PCAT, can my MCAT prep be used to prepare for those tests? Or do I have to study for them separately using their own study materials?

Members don't see this ad.

I think these exams are quite different. MCAT won't prepare you for DAT
DAT has geometry MCAT doesn't
OAT also has a whole math component
It seems like focusing on one thing would be a better idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
You aren't just studying the material. You are also practicing taking the test. The MCAT (or any other standardized test) doesn't just test your knowledge of physics, biology, etc. It also tests how good you are at taking the MCAT. Every test is different. You need to practice taking the exams. That's why people take practice tests and why you get much better results if you do.

I wanna to apply to medical, dental, and optometry schools. I now use the Kaplan and EK book sets to study for the MCAT. Since you guys know all about the OAT, DAT, and PCAT, can my MCAT prep be used to prepare for those tests? Or do I have to study for them separately using their own study materials?

MCAT is passage-based, the others are not, so right away question types will be completely different.

OAT and DAT have the same test maker, so the quantitative reasoning, reading comprehension, and Bio/Chem/Ochem sections are exactly the same, but all different from MCAT. The big difference between the two is DAT has perceptive ability, and no physics, while OAT has physics and no perceptive ability.

Perceptive ability is its own animal completely, so you would need to get some separate practice tests on that at the very least least.

OAT and DAT both have an entire quantitative reasoning section which is very similar to SAT math, and not present in MCAT at all. Honestly, doesn't really require studying, though.

OAT/DAT reading comprehension section is much more detail-oriented than MCAT. Questions are more in the "what did the author say" range, rather than "what would the author say" like you find in MCAT.

OAT/DAT sciences are more detail oriented than MCAT. Read: more memorizing. You have to know plant bio and taxonomy, neither of which show up on the MCAT, so they won't be in your MCAT study guide.

PCAT requires calculus. 'Nuff said.

TLDR: You need separate materials for all of them, and you're splitting your focus so you'll do worse on all of them than if you just studied one and owned it.

Would train for a marathon by running a mile 26 times?

MCAT is passage-based, the others are not, so right away question types will be completely different.

OAT and DAT have the same test maker, so the quantitative reasoning, reading comprehension, and Bio/Chem/Ochem sections are exactly the same, but all different from MCAT. The big difference between the two is DAT has perceptive ability, and no physics, while OAT has physics and no perceptive ability.

Perceptive ability is its own animal completely, so you would need to get some separate practice tests on that at the very least least.

OAT and DAT both have an entire quantitative reasoning section which is very similar to SAT math, and not present in MCAT at all. Honestly, doesn't really require studying, though.

OAT/DAT reading comprehension section is much more detail-oriented than MCAT. Questions are more in the "what did the author say" range, rather than "what would the author say" like you find in MCAT.

OAT/DAT sciences are more detail oriented than MCAT. Read: more memorizing. You have to know plant bio and taxonomy, neither of which show up on the MCAT, so they won't be in your MCAT study guide.

PCAT requires calculus. 'Nuff said.

TLDR: You need separate materials for all of them, and you're splitting your focus so you'll do worse on all of them than if you just studied one and owned it.

This is a good post. Thanks!
It sounds like OAT/DAT are perhaps a bit harder than the MCAT. I guess I'll stick with the MCAT then... lol

This is a good post. Thanks!
It sounds like OAT/DAT are perhaps a bit harder than the MCAT. I guess I'll stick with the MCAT then... lol

It depends on what you consider easier. OAT/DAT require more material than MCAT, but MCAT requires much more critical thinking, and the competition is harder for MCAT since all tests are curved. General consensus is MCAT is harder, and I'm inclined to agree. Instead of choosing a test, maybe you should choose which career you really want, and then just take that test.