Jul 18, 2016
7
0
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi Im taking the DAT next Wednesday and have not been scoring like i need to on the full length practice exams that I've taken. I already extended my DAT to the last possible day.

My question is, would it be better to take the loss on the money (can't believe I'm even considering this) or to take the exam anyways even though I'm scoring low on the practice ones... (low as in 16s... :/)

Would it look horrible to schools if I get a 15 or 16 on it the first time and then re-take it and get a higher score?
 
Last edited:

redhotchiligochu

D3
2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
658
707
USA
Status
Dental Student
If you're scoring in the 16s, then I'd definitely consider rescheduling. Yes, you'll have to spend some money trying to reschedule, but it's much much better than having to retake the DAT. Wish you luck!
 

saypaneeer

2+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2016
17
10
Hi Im taking the DAT next Wednesday and have not been scoring like i need to on the full length practice exams that I've taken. I already extended my DAT to the last possible day already.

My question is, would it be better to take the loss on the money (can't believe I'm even considering this) or to take the exam anyways even though I'm scoring low on the practice ones... (low as in 16s... :/)
Don't go in until you're confident. If you do bad, you'll end up spending the same amount of money. You don't want to take the exam more than once. Take the ADA 2009 to see where you are then you can decide.
 

Charles_Darwin

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2016
828
831
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi Im taking the DAT next Wednesday and have not been scoring like i need to on the full length practice exams that I've taken. I already extended my DAT to the last possible day already.

My question is, would it be better to take the loss on the money (can't believe I'm even considering this) or to take the exam anyways even though I'm scoring low on the practice ones... (low as in 16s... :/)
It's either take the test and risk having to retake and reapply, or reschedule the test for a better time and apply when you feel you're ready. In my opinion it would be wise to hold off on taking the DAT until you're ready but we'll see what others say :)
 
OP
S
Jul 18, 2016
7
0
Status
Pre-Dental
If you're scoring in the 16s, then I'd definitely consider rescheduling. Yes, you'll have to spend some money trying to reschedule, but it's much much better than having to retake the DAT. Wish you luck!
I know I'm in the predicament where i think I'm going to have to pay to take it again no matter what. But I'm trying to decide if its better to take it this time, possibly get a really low score, and then prepare better for it, and schedule to retake it and get a better score. Or if i should just take the loss on the money, not take it and not have the low score go on my record, but schedule to take it again in a few more months?
 
OP
S
Jul 18, 2016
7
0
Status
Pre-Dental
I know I'm in the predicament where i think I'm going to have to pay to take it again no matter what. But I'm trying to decide if its better to take it this time, possibly get a really low score, and then prepare better for it, and schedule to retake it and get a better score. Or if i should just take the loss on the money, not take it and not have the low score go on my record, but schedule to take it again in a few more months?
 

redhotchiligochu

D3
2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
658
707
USA
Status
Dental Student
I know I'm in the predicament where i think I'm going to have to pay to take it again no matter what. But I'm trying to decide if its better to take it this time, possibly get a really low score, and then prepare better for it, and schedule to retake it and get a better score. Or if i should just take the loss on the money, not take it and not have the low score go on my record, but schedule to take it again in a few more months?
Someone please chime in, but my personal opinion is that by having to retake and having your 1st DAT score be really bad doesn't look good. What's your GPA? If you have a low GPA, you don't wanna give dental school adcoms even more questions about your academic ability, just my 2 cents. Better to do it right the first time around!
 
OP
S
Jul 18, 2016
7
0
Status
Pre-Dental
Someone please chime in, but my personal opinion is that by having to retake and having your 1st DAT score be really bad doesn't look good. What's your GPA? If you have a low GPA, you don't wanna give dental school adcoms even more questions about your academic ability, just my 2 cents. Better to do it right the first time around!
Thats exactly what I'm thinking. I have a 3.3 gpa- so not the best. If i just don't show up to take the test/ or cancel it, the admissions won't see that, right?
 

redhotchiligochu

D3
2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
658
707
USA
Status
Dental Student
Thats exactly what I'm thinking. I have a 3.3 gpa- so not the best. If i just don't show up to take the test/ or cancel it, the admissions won't see that, right?
Cancelling doesn't show up on your application record, it's kinda like dropping a class before the withdraw deadline LOL.

Your GPA is not disqualifying (I think the average GPA of dental school applicants), which is fine but you need to get a 20+AA. Having a sub 3.5 GPA and having to retake with a 16 or 17 just doesn't look good at all. I am kinda in the same boat as you GPA-wise but ended up with a 21 AA and even then I've been waitlisted for interviews.
 
OP
S
Jul 18, 2016
7
0
Status
Pre-Dental
Cancelling doesn't show up on your application record, it's kinda like dropping a class before the withdraw deadline LOL.

Your GPA is not disqualifying (I think the average GPA of dental school applicants), which is fine but you need to get a 20+AA. Having a sub 3.5 GPA and having to retake with a 16 or 17 just doesn't look good at all. I am kinda in the same boat as you GPA-wise but ended up with a 21 AA and even then I've been waitlisted for interviews.
I definitely appreciate your help! Ive talked with many people who aren't pre-dental/ pre-health and they just don't understand the process so their advice has been to go ahead and take it. I didn't apply this cycle- I'm apply next cycle, so I'm not in a huge rush to take it and would rather make sure i do it right the first time around.
 
OP
S
Jul 18, 2016
7
0
Status
Pre-Dental
Personally, I'd just take it since you're losing out on the money anyways. You might do well and surprise yourself. But if you don't then you have to pay to take it again anyways. So one way is possibly saving you money. The other way is throwing the money away.
With my GPA being on the low side, you still think i should risk getting a 16 or so on the DAT? If i get a 16, i know ill have to retake it anyways and have to spend more money. I dont want admission committees to think I'm not academically capable of doing well in dental school.
 
OP
S
Jul 18, 2016
7
0
Status
Pre-Dental
Actually I take back what I said. What is the actual date? If you take it then have to take it again you have to wait three months. Whereas you may be able to take it in two weeks after the assigned time if you just skip it. If you've already applied and the schools are just waiting for your score then this is something to think about.
Aug 3rd is when I'm scheduled to take it. I am not applying this cycle though, so am not on a deadline for that. I already moved it from last month to Aug 3, and that is the last day i can take it.
 

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER... Dr. Romano and Nancy
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
4,194
3,039
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
Hi Im taking the DAT next Wednesday and have not been scoring like i need to on the full length practice exams that I've taken. I already extended my DAT to the last possible day.

My question is, would it be better to take the loss on the money (can't believe I'm even considering this) or to take the exam anyways even though I'm scoring low on the practice ones... (low as in 16s... :/)

Would it look horrible to schools if I get a 15 or 16 on it the first time and then re-take it and get a higher score?
From my years of experience it is always best to take the DAT only when fully prepared. Why take a chance, if you do not do well you will have to wait 90 days for a retake and pay $430 again. Taking the DAT and scoring low is a very self defeating experience and not one I recommend if it can be avoided.

To reschedule now it will cost $60 and you can give yourself more time, scoring 15's, 16's shows signs of weakness

Number of Days Prior to Testing Appointment Fee
24 business hours before to 5 business days prior to the testing
appointment.$100
6 to 30 business days prior to the testing appointment. $60
31+ business days prior to the testing appointment. $25

If you wish to reschedule a testing appointment, please contact
Prometric or call 800.688.5804; additional fees apply (see the
Testing Fees section of this Guide). The local test center
cannot schedule, reschedule, or cancel your appointment.

Just my 2 cents.

Nancy