DAT Prep Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ami15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone out there taken either the Kaplan or Hyperlearning DAT prep class? Was it worth the money? Any input would be appreciated. Also, how soon before taking the DAT would you recommend taking the class?

Members don't see this ad.

I took Kaplan's prep course. I think it was worth the money because I don't think I would have been able to find any other relevant fairly comprehensive study guides for the DAT. I feel that Kaplan's review book covered a good deal of stuff (although not everything). How good the classes are depends on the teacher you get. The classes are also on video tape though, and the tape lectures I did watch were very good. Kaplan has lots of practice tests, but you have to take them at the center (can be very inconvenient). Some of the practice tests were not very relevant or too difficult. Overall, I recommend taking a prep course. It really is what you make out of it though. They'll have lots of study resources ready for you, and you just need to take the time to get through them. It's necessary to study on your own as well. I recommend taking the DAT perhaps a week or two after the prep course ends (depending on how much you studied when you were taking the course). There's lots of memorization you need to do, so you don't want to wait too long to take the test.

I would highly recommend the Princeton Review Hyper Learning course. This course inproved my DAT score 3 points on the academic average. If you crunch the numbers, that is a huge difference. I went from the national average to a highly competitive score that granted me out-of-state interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was Hyperlearning helpul with the Perceptual part of the test?

Myself and everyone I know took the Kaplan DAT course. I found it extremely helpful, and without a doubt, I would not have done as well as I did without the course. Although just taking the course won't ensure success on the DAT, there is comfort in knowing that others before you, and others taking the course with you are receiving all the necessary information to succeed. Although I'm sure Princeton is good, I honestly don't know anyone who took it over Kaplan. HOpe this helps. There really aren't that many tricks to the perceptual part, a few yes, but they are easily learned. It just takes practice, thats it. Lots of it. =)

damn, just thinking about prep for the DAT makes me want to kill myself.

Dental school=loser

Hey ami15,
Hyperlearning was very helpful on the perceptual ability, but every dean of admissions that I talked to has said that they don't look at the perceptual ability part, that is because they say that the percep ability part has no correlation to how well people do in dental school. In fact, consider yourself lucky to be taking that test now because I think that in the future, they will do away with the PA test and replace it with physics.

Kaplan is good, but the math section sucks. Use Topscore pro CD for practice!