camr

5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey Guys Im kicking off my intense studying for the DAT beginning of May.

Last edited:

Sauce

5+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Dental Student
When I studied for the DAT I was fortunate enough to be able to spend a large portion of my day studying for it for about 2 months. At the beginning I would spend time trying to learn concepts until at the end I focused on test taking skills. The DAT is just as much about how to take the test as how much you know. To get a 19 in the sections you mentioned should not be impossible but you want to shoot for the 20s and see what happens from there. I would recommend taking the DAT when you are ready but if you are applying to other schools other than NOVA you may consider taking it in late June or early July so it can get out to them sooner than later. Timing makes a HUGE difference in the admissions process.

Jan 13, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Hey Guys Im kicking off my intense studying for the DAT beginning of May. Im in a 7 yr dual admit program at NOVA but they still require their duals to score a 19AA/19TS. Can anyone give me an idea how hard this is. Im only a sophomore right now. What do you people think I should do in terms of study materials and a schedule to follow this summer. Im planning on taking it end of AUG is that a disadvantage? Also could you guys give me a few pointers if you could? =)
A 7 year program....And your a soph now. So, you have one more year of undergrad, right? Have you taken all of the classes necessary for the DAT? I am assuming you have. So, you don't turn in your DAT scores until NEXT June right? I would get a Kaplan book, and any practice test that you can get from them, or from anyone you know that has taken their waste-of-a-class. I would also get the crack the dat PAT computer tests, and the barrons DAT book for QR. I also hear that Topscore is really good. The first two things that I would start doing is reading through the Kaplan book, and making notes or flash cards (of anything that requires lost of memorization, bio), and also taking some practice tests as you go along. The important part is to diagnose your weaknesses, and to work on them. Also, I found that practicing the PAT for ~1hr every morning was really helpful, but find out how much time you need. If you don't have a job, or taking summer school classes I would suggest treating DAT prep as a full time job; do about 5 hrs a day (~35 hr/wk). Also, don't take the test until your scoring a few points above your goal. I also used DAT destroyer. Good luck