DAT raw score vs. official score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csoccer3636

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT for the first time yesterday and wasn't too happy with my score:
PA: 19
QR: 17
RC: 21
BIO: 19
GCHEM: 18
OCHEM: 17
TS: 18
AA: 18
These are my raw scores given to me right after the test. It says that they audit the scores before getting an official score. How likely is it that my score will go up? My AA is an 18.4 so I only need a little bit to get rounded to a 19. What are my chances of getting into out of state schools with this score? I'm not planning on applying to any of the top schools like Harvard or anything. Should I retake it? I've heard that it doesn't look good to take it more than once. My GPA is about a 3.8 and I have extracurriculars: research lab, volunteer, shadowing, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Chances it gets changed? Close to 0%. Your raw score is your official score in 99.9% of cases. As for your DAT, it's below average for matriculating students, but your GPA is well above average. How did you study for the DAT? The high GPA with low DAT may raise a few questions/red flags, so it's a tough call on whether or not you should retake.

A 3.8 doesn't exactly correlate with the AA and TS score that you earned. I'd advise a retake, especially with the 17 in ochem.

I guess I was just hoping it might go up but I wasn't really expecting it to. I used McGraw Hill. I was doing better on the practice tests so it was frustrating. I was pre med and just switched to pre dental about 2 months ago, but I felt like I was ready for the test. So it doesn't look bad at all to take it more than once?

Members don't see this ad :)
How does the rest of your app look? I have a few of friends get in with 17 or 18 AA this cycle and had slightly above average GPAs, but excellent LORs/ECs. Just depends what your app looks like/where you apply/and if you really want to spend another $400 to retake.

Reactions: 1 user
I do have good LOR/ECs so I feel good about that. And I would rather not spend the money to take it again but I will if I have to.

If you decide to retake, use the materials that are suggested here, I've never heard of the McGraw Hill prep. Also, if you just switched to pre-dent 2 months ago, how do your shadowing hours look?

I definitely will use something different if I take it again. I have 160+ hours shadowing medical doctors which I am still going to put on my application just because it shows I wasn't just sitting at home doing nothing. It's also useful because I can still apply the patient/doctor interactions and relationships. I have about 20 hours shadowing a dentist and I plan on shadowing my orthodontist for about 30 or 40 hours once this semester ends and before the applications open. Do they open on June 1st? So I should have about 50 or 60 hours by then.

Are you this guy:
'I first became interested in dentistry after I got a 21 on the MCAT.'
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/worst-opening-ps-sentence.1066720/#post-15147532 ?

haha jk...
but yeah the problem is that you used McGraw Hill. No one here recommends that at all. Your chances of getting into a in state school might be decent depending on what your state residency actually is. And I can't really say how well your chances are because I dont know you, but I can tell you that your chances of landing an oos spot will be significantly higher if you raise your DAT to at least 20. With that said though, depending on your E.C, you might still get in somewhere because your GPA is high and your DAT is "good enough" to not automatically get rejected.

41% the total applicants got into dental school in 2010. Your scores of 18 above national average but below most schools accepted average. SDN has a lot of people in the 21+ range but in reality most people are 18-20. Your scores will probably get you in but don't expect first choice of schools. Taking the test again means you will have to wait until the end of July to take it and then August for the DAT to get to Adea and another 2 weeks before they actually get out to the Universities. So around September is when the schools would realistically be getting your scores. If you think you can improve several points in the next three months by all means do it. But If you only get a 19AA I don't think it is worth sending your application in 3 months behind everyone else.

So ask yourself, how much did you study for the DAT this time, and if you had 3 more months how much of a difference would it make? If you feel like you already gave it your all then just turn in your application. If you felt like you were lazy studying and could have done better then a retake is a good option.

the problem with a low DAT score is that it starts to put a high GPA into question on just the difficulty of the curriculum. I'd retake it. Its honestly two problems in one by getting a bad score since that in its own right is a problem and takes some credibility out of your GPA, whether that is fair or not is not for us to decide.

You'll want to retake the DAT. The McGraw Hill costs $17 (I bought it too) - you get what you pay for. Get DAT Bootcamp, Chad's Videos, Ferali's Notes, and DAT Destroyer. Going to cost you a few hundred bucks, but it's worth it. I used all I listed except Chad's videos, and I retook the DAT. Went from 17 to 20 AA and got accepted to my state school. Get your score to 19+ AA and you should be fine. Good luck!

Hey man I just want to let you know that there is no shame in retaking if you feel the need to. It is actually really common for people to retake their professional school test twice. Just study alot harder for the second time around and you will be solid. If you would want to talk more about a retake PM me and we can have a chat. Cheers mate! :)