DAT Reply...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalDi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Kevin,

I tried posting my reply to your question, but it didn't work because the original forum was "Pre-Dental" and the new forum is "Dentistry Bound". Apparently their system didn't like the discrepancy.

Anyhow, here is my reply to your question about DAT prep books and Kaplan...(I cut and pasted! yeah!)

Well, I took the Kaplan DAT review course and used both their DAT book (now it's one big review book and one class book) and the practice tests at their center (some, but not all!) to study. I took the test about a year ago and did quite well. If you think you might decide to use the center materials, I think it's worth the investment. Don't forget, now the test is on the computer only--making the transition from paper to computer is harder than you think. Some of your strategies change (and Kaplan helps here--they have practice tests on the computer, too). That's the main reason I took their course (I'd previously taken it several years before)--I already had their books. To me, it was a great investment because I had plenty of computer testing experience before test day. Also, I don't know if they'll let you do this since you're talking two different courses, but my center had significantly reduced tuition the second time--I just gave them proof that I'd taken the course before. You could ask where you went.

As for non-Kaplan resources, I think they have computer CD-ROMs out there now (they didn't when I took it last year!) that you can buy for practice tests. You just have to start surfing dental websites to find them--the student Dr. network has links to lots of great sites. Perhaps the AADSAS or ADA sites have these ads for CD-ROMs...

Another book that I bought (but honestly didn't use very much) was the Betz Guide to the DAT. I found it in a med/dental school bookstore, although a regular bkstore might be able to order it for you. It is kind of like the Barron's guides in terms of style--bare-bones review, more outline and some practice questions. For me, I just looked at it for variety and used Kaplan.

------------------
You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Members don't see this ad.