DAT retake and scheduling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jun Ki

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm taking DAT next week, but I might have to retake it. Since I have to wait at least 90 days, it will be end of March 2022. I was wondering if it’s possible to schedule the test date ahead of time or do I have to wait 90 days to schedule the test date? I'm just worried about not finding available spots because I want my score to be verified by no later than middle of May 2022.
If I start a new application for the second test, what happens to the first DAT score that was sent to all the dental schools from my first application? Will they just take the most recent score? I'd highly appreciate if you can give me any info on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't worry about a retake yet! You can delay your first attempt if you don't think you're ready, which will for sure save you a lot of time and money compared to retaking it in the spring. Not sure if you're still in undergrad or not, but winter break is a great opportunity to study for the DAT if you are! In case of a retake, some schools consider your highest score and some consider your most recent.

I would focus on this first attempt before scheduling another attempt. If you need more time, reschedule it for another month if your eligibility allows it. It's cheaper to reschedule than reapplying for eligibility for a second attempt. Secondly, each school differs by what they take. Some only consider the highest, some consider the most recent attempt, and some take into account the scores or score on each DAT attempt. So, in short, no matter if this is your first, second, third attempt, take the test as if it is your LAST attempt. Lastly, it is not the end of the world if your DAT score is verified later than May. I took the DAT for my second time in July and my score was not verified until the beginning of August and I still ended up with a decent amount of interviews.

TL;DR: Make this first attempt your last (if you can) and good luck.

Don't worry about a retake yet! You can delay your first attempt if you don't think you're ready, which will for sure save you a lot of time and money compared to retaking it in the spring. Not sure if you're still in undergrad or not, but winter break is a great opportunity to study for the DAT if you are! In case of a retake, some schools consider your highest score and some consider your most recent.
Thank you for the reply! I already made my mind to take the test next week because I want to experience the real DAT and how it's really like so I could have a better idea for the next attempt.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would focus on this first attempt before scheduling another attempt. If you need more time, reschedule it for another month if your eligibility allows it. It's cheaper to reschedule than reapplying for eligibility for a second attempt. Secondly, each school differs by what they take. Some only consider the highest, some consider the most recent attempt, and some take into account the scores or score on each DAT attempt. So, in short, no matter if this is your first, second, third attempt, take the test as if it is your LAST attempt. Lastly, it is not the end of the world if your DAT score is verified later than May. I took the DAT for my second time in July and my score was not verified until the beginning of August and I still ended up with a decent amount of interviews.

TL;DR: Make this first attempt your last (if you can) and good luck.
Thank you for the info! I'm going to take take the test next week regardless because I really want to see how it's really like so I could have a better idea for the next attempt.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I'm taking DAT next week, but I might have to retake it. Since I have to wait at least 90 days, it will be end of March 2022. I was wondering if it’s possible to schedule the test date ahead of time or do I have to wait 90 days to schedule the test date? I'm just worried about not finding available spots because I want my score to be verified by no later than middle of May 2022.
If I start a new application for the second test, what happens to the first DAT score that was sent to all the dental schools from my first application? Will they just take the most recent score? I'd highly appreciate if you can give me any info on this.
I highly recommend you rethink your strategy and not take the DAT until you are fully prepared. They will see all your scores. You still have time to reschedule and I would do so asap. I am quite curious why you would consider taking it when you don't feel prepared? I will be more than happy to answer any questions and help you out. I have a lot of experience with the DAT.

Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers

Thank you for the info! I'm going to take take the test next week regardless because I really want to see how it's really like so I could have a better idea for the next attempt.
If you truly think you will need to retake the exam, you should really pay the $100 (or whatever it is now adays) to take it a few weeks down the road. Simply financially speaking, it makes much more sense to just postpone it now to avoid having to pay again for such an expensive exam. Application wise, it doesn't matter if you take the exam today, tomorrow, next week, or next year - you're still way before the first day the application opens, so why rush? And more importantly, dental schools will see every exam score you get, good and bad. While a retake is fine if you improve the second time around, it really is best to take the exam once, show schools you could handle the material, and then move on to worrying about other parts of the application. Taking it twice doesn't necessarily look bad, per se, but it is less favorable than taking it once.

I know at this point it may be hard to convince you that this may be a better option, but it is worth highly considering I would think. Hopefully it helps some. Best of luck!

I highly recommend you rethink your strategy and not take the DAT until you are fully prepared. They will see all your scores. You still have time to reschedule and I would do so asap. I am quite curious why you would consider taking it when you don't feel prepared? I will be more than happy to answer any questions and help you out. I have a lot of experience with the DAT.

Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers
Thank you the reply! I really appreciate your help. I've already extended the date from November to December and my eligibility ID expires at the end of January. I know some people recommend taking it once because it takes up a lot of time and money but if I take it this week, even though I don't feel 100% prepared, I would have one more chance to take the test again before applying June 1st. Also, I really want to see how I will do on the first one so I could have a better idea for the next attempt and prepare better. My advisor said taking the DAT second time is fine. It only looks bad if I cannot improve my score the second time around and continue to take the test again.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you the reply! I really appreciate your help. I've already extended the date from November to December and my eligibility ID expires at the end of January. I know some people recommend taking it once because it takes up a lot of time and money but if I take it this week, even though I don't feel 100% prepared, I would have one more chance to take the test again before applying June 1st. Also, I really want to see how I will do on the first one so I could have a better idea for the next attempt and prepare better. My advisor said taking the DAT second time is fine. It only looks bad if I cannot improve my score the second time around and continue to take the test again.
With due respect I disagree with your advisor, I have worked with thousands of students through the years and successfully helped them through the process. The number one mistake students make is taking the test when not prepared. I have also talked to many admissions advisors and faculty at dental schools through the years and been told if 2 students have the same stats with the exception of a student taking the DAT one time compared to multiple, the student successful on the 1st attempt could be a deciding factor on an interview or acceptance. Don't get me wrong you can get in dental school taking the test more than once but avoid if you can.

Hope this makes sense and if you like you can private message me.

Wishing you the best and I hope nothing but the best for you...#think30