DAT retake??? Need help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kingsta2426

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT in late January after only studying for about 2 weeks (totally regret not studying longer) and my scores were:
GC-22
OC-19
BIO-16 :mad:
QR-19
RC-17
TS-19
AA-19
PAT-20

I am leaning towards a retake in early June with a lot more studying this time but I am not 100% sure yet. I'm a Bio major and I have a 3.6 GPA and a 3.5 sci GPA. Should I retake??? Would my new DAT score be processed with my application if I submit it in early June as well??? Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

what schools are you planning on applying to?

a 19 AA is pretty good. if you are from a state that takes majority in-state residents then I say do not retake...

Last edited:
As a bio major, you should do better in biology. It takes more than 2 weeks to prep for the DAT. You do need to take it again, and you will probably do very well if you study harder. I know if I only studied 2 weeks I would have not done nearly as well as you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude how did you only study for DATs and do that well (all things considering)? I'm currently studying for them now. Just wanna know what you did and what books etc you used. I appreciate it.

Ps your new DATs I know would be processed if you took em whenever. It'd just take aadsas 2 weeks to process them.

I would recommend you retake. I'm saying this because your bio and RC scores will be questioned by schools. The only section I feel you can get by with a fairly low score (17 at the lowest) is QR, for everything else you should aim for 20 or higher. You did fairly well with just 2 weeks of studying. Imagine how well you can do if you study for a bit longer. Yes, your scorers will be processed with your app if you submit in early June. People dont realize this, but once you hit submit on AADSAS it still takes weeks for schools to receive your completed app.

I took the DAT in late January after only studying for about 2 weeks (totally regret not studying longer) and my scores were:
GC-22
OC-19
BIO-16 :mad:
QR-19
RC-17
TS-19
AA-19
PAT-20

I am leaning towards a retake in early June with a lot more studying this time but I am not 100% sure yet. I'm a Bio major and I have a 3.6 GPA and a 3.5 sci GPA. Should I retake??? Would my new DAT score be processed with my application if I submit it in early June as well??? Thanks for any advice.

Kudos on studying for two weeks and getting good scores on most sections. However, if you're a Bio major with a 3.6/3.5 GPA, you should have at least gotten an 18 on the bio section. IMO, def retake.

If you take it in early June, you'll be fine. It takes ~2 weeks for DAT scores to process, so if you submit your application in June/July, it's no problem at all.

A side comment for everyone sounding astounded about the amount of time he studied. I think it's more common than popularly accepted on SDN to study for only a few weeks.

I only had three weeks to study for the DAT. Always keep in mind SDN is a small sample that contains a rarified portion of the applicant pool. I felt my classes prepared me for the DAT. I spent most of my study time brushing up, practicing PAT, and doing practice tests.

*Granted my scores aren't top of the nation quality and I was waitlisted at my state school, but I digress, I got in and I am still happy :).

---------

About your scores OP, they look pretty good. Maybe just brush up in biology and 'comprehend your reading more better'? Just fill out your AADSAS like normal and submit the substitute scores when possible if you choose to retake.

*I will NEVER give someone actual direction on "what to do". Applying to dental school is your prerogative and your responsibility. I personally feel many (not all) pre-dents are ill informed guessers.

Last edited:
A side comment for everyone sounding astounded about the amount of time he studied. I think it's more common than popularly accepted on SDN to study for only a few weeks.

I only had three weeks to study for the DAT. Always keep in mind SDN is a small sample pool that contains a bunch of crazy people. I felt my classes prepared me for the DAT. I spent most of my study time brushing up, practicing PAT, and doing practice tests.

*Granted my scores aren't top of the nation quality and I was waitlisted at my state school, but I digress, I got in and I am still happy :).

---------

About your scores OP, they look pretty good. Maybe just brush up in biology and 'comprehend your reading more better'? Just fill out your AADSAS like normal and submit the substitute scores when possible if you choose to retake.

*I will NEVER give someone actual direction on "what to do". Applying to dental school is your prerogative and your responsibility. I personally feel all pre-dents are ill informed guessers.

Yikes, bitter much? lol

There are lots of crazies on SDN and I would hope that most people who come here for advice will take it with a grain of salt and ignore posts that seem ridiculous. Good for you and the OP that you did well w/out studying for weeks and weeks. I just figured there are legitimate reasons as to why you can't take the DAT again for 90 days

Last edited:
Yikes, bitter much? lol

There are lots of crazies on SDN and I would hope that most people who come here for advice will take it with a grain of salt and ignore posts that seem ridiculous. Good for you and the OP that you did well w/out studying for weeks and weeks. I just figured there are legitimate reasons as to why you can't take the DAT again for 90 days

There is truth in this statement.

I am very glad I found SDN in time so that I actually was prepared for the DAT. Otherwise, I would have studied for only 2 weeks and had to make a thread like this.

Yikes, bitter much... most people who come here for advice will take it with a grain of salt...

I'm not here to flame. I got plenty of good information from SDN. I just take my advice with a little extra salt. I'm (actually, really, I mean it, not sarcastic) sorry if I sounded harsh. I'll slightly edit my previous post.