DAT Score competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thepack3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just recently took the DAT, and I was wondering if I should consider retaking.

My DAT scores were:
AA 20
TS 19
PA 22
QR 19
RC 22
Bio 18
GC 19
Orgo 21

My cumulative gpa is a 3.31 and my science gpa is a 3.33.

A little background. I initially struggled in college, and by the end of my sophomore year I had a sub 2.5/2.6 cgpa. That being said I ended up turning around that gpa and over the last 2 years I have a 3.726 gpa (thats my last 50 credits). I am a little disappointed in my TS, and especially my bio score since biology is my major. I am from North Carolina and go to North Carolina State University. I have over 100 hrs of dental shadowing hours along with two leadership positions. Please let me know if I should retake the DAT. I plan on applying for the upcoming cycle this coming July.

Members don't see this ad.

Since you say that you are disappointed with your scores, I would recommend you retake. You want to go into the cycle from a position of strength and self-confidence. Otherwise you'll doubt yourself and it could come through in your interviews as a form of weakness.

Retake the DAT, kill it, be satisfied with your results, and apply from a position of strength.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,

I just recently took the DAT, and I was wondering if I should consider retaking.

My DAT scores were:
AA 20
TS 19
PA 22
QR 19
RC 22
Bio 18
GC 19
Orgo 21

My cumulative gpa is a 3.31 and my science gpa is a 3.33.

A little background. I initially struggled in college, and by the end of my sophomore year I had a sub 2.5/2.6 cgpa. That being said I ended up turning around that gpa and over the last 2 years I have a 3.726 gpa (thats my last 50 credits). I am a little disappointed in my TS, and especially my bio score since biology is my major. I am from North Carolina and go to North Carolina State University. I have over 100 hrs of dental shadowing hours along with two leadership positions. Please let me know if I should retake the DAT. I plan on applying for the upcoming cycle this coming July.

Contrary to what people are telling you, your scores are average for accepted dental students, but ABOVE average for all test takers. Your GPA is not bad and you have ECs in the bag. I would say you aren't looking too competitive, but not bad either. Apply and you should be able to get some interviews. If not, try to either retake the dat and/or get a MS, then try again. All that being said, it's not impossible to get accepted the first time you apply. Good luck!

that DAT score along with your GPA is not competitive, if you had a 3.5 + then it would be competitive.
with a 3.3 GPA you would need to make up for it with a 21+ AA.
however you still have a decent shot of getting accepted if you apply to 20+ schools.

Reactions: 1 user
The national average is an 18AA, which you are above. But because your GPA is on the lower side you might run the risk of not being accepted.