DAT Score May 2020 : Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MountainManOutdoor

Reaction score
As we all know, commenting on anyone's DAT score is purely opinion based as we never know (unless you make 24+ on DAT) who really will get accepted somewhere.

With that said, I did want to hear though especially from those that were accepted in the past who were not the traditional science background individuals as this is the case for me.

Little Background:

-D1 football. Started pre-med/pre-dent but unfortunately was basically talked out of this route from coaches/advisors as they put major emphasis on football being #1 priority. So, this is what I did. Focused on football and got a degree in communications with plans of football forever, Ha.
Overall GPA was eh, average: Near 3.3

-Graduated, I got into the workplace, have been in surgical device sales for the past 4 years now, and fast forward, decided that this would be the time to pursue the dream I originally had of being an MD or DMD. This was last year (age 25 at the time) and I decided to transition out of a great job to pursue this dream. I began with prerequisites while still working full time etc.

-Pre-req wise, I have a decent bit left (still going to need to take OC 2, Bio 2, Micro). With that said, not a crazy background at all with any sciences in general. I studied hard for near 2 months, with these past 2 weeks prior to the exam being very intense (~12 hours per day).
(Total Science GPA at this time is 3.6: Bio 1, GC 1, GC 2, Physics 1, A&P, Cell Bio)

I know there is plenty of 21+ AA that post on here, but this was my first time taking it and I am still very proud considering all.

19 AA
-----
20 OC
20 GC
18 Bio
22 RC
18 PAT
17 QR

I'm upset most of all by my RC & Bio scores as I consistently scored 24+ for RC on practice exams and 22-24 on Bio with practice exams...

Anyways, With my background, GPA, etc. -- wanted to hear any advice for individuals that have been in my shoes (non-traditional/non-science background) in the past that got interviews/ accepted...

I greatly appreciate it!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you may want to consider retaking the DAT. I've spoken to several advisors (as well as two people who are on ADCOMs), and they were all pretty much in agreement that with non traditional applicants, the DAT counts for a lot. I myself am applying this cycle with a bachelor's degree that I completed in 2010, so being out of the game awhile, I was told that a high score would be needed to show ADCOMs that an applicant still "has it". Like you, my GPA isn't hurting me (I had 3.37 overall and a 3.30 science), but it isn't wowing anyone either.

Hello! I have a background in cell bio so might not have that non traditional perspective you were searching for BUT there are a couple things I think I can you help with/point out for you.
So your science GPA has made great improvements and that’s really good! You’ve landed in a strong position with an sGPA of 3.6. Some schools place consideration to your trend, so it’s awesome that alongside that number you have an upward trend.

Now, for the DAT. Reading your post, my first thoughts were wHat resources did you use? After two months of studying you should be about ready. It sounds like you probably don’t use the right materials and I would really recommend retaking.
If you did not use DAT bootcamp, you need need NEED to use that. There’s a reason this forum is obsessed. Since your bio score was weak, I really strongly recommend you read through cliffs ap, Kaplan blue book, and most importantly dat bootcamp bio notes (the blue book just buy it used, no need to buy the whole course; the bootcamp bio notes are free online as a pdf I think, and I know the Sam did true for cliffs ). I just tested in March, and these resources bought my score up from a 19 to a 23–with diligent studying of course. Feel free to pm me for more details on study resources. But the ones I’ve mentioned are like the holy grail for the dat.
I have no advice for boosting your pat score, however. I tried pat booster and it badly over predicted my exam performance :/

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you may want to consider retaking the DAT. I've spoken to several advisors (as well as two people who are on ADCOMs), and they were all pretty much in agreement that with non traditional applicants, the DAT counts for a lot. I myself am applying this cycle with a bachelor's degree that I completed in 2010, so being out of the game awhile, I was told that a high score would be needed to show ADCOMs that an applicant still "has it". Like you, my GPA isn't hurting me (I had 3.37 overall and a 3.30 science), but it isn't wowing anyone either.
Right...

With you applying this cycle, what did your DAT look like if you don't mind me asking? -- also demographics, work experience, extra curriculars etc?

It's stressful trying to figure it all out and unfortunately, the crazy part about it all is again, to some extent, I feel there is no rhyme or reason for some individuals and their acceptance. I know 2 individuals specifically with rather low GPAs (3.1) and 17's on DAT AA (after 3 tries).

I personally would just like an interview at least to talk with a school on why I want it, and why I'd be great etc...

Who knows!

Hello! I have a background in cell bio so might not have that non traditional perspective you were searching for BUT there are a couple things I think I can you help with/point out for you.
So your science GPA has made great improvements and that’s really good! You’ve landed in a strong position with an sGPA of 3.6. Some schools place consideration to your trend, so it’s awesome that alongside that number you have an upward trend.

Now, for the DAT. Reading your post, my first thoughts were wHat resources did you use? After two months of studying you should be about ready. It sounds like you probably don’t use the right materials and I would really recommend retaking.
If you did not use DAT bootcamp, you need need NEED to use that. There’s a reason this forum is obsessed. Since your bio score was weak, I really strongly recommend you read through cliffs ap, Kaplan blue book, and most importantly dat bootcamp bio notes (the blue book just buy it used, no need to buy the whole course; the bootcamp bio notes are free online as a pdf I think, and I know the Sam did true for cliffs ). I just tested in March, and these resources bought my score up from a 19 to a 23–with diligent studying of course. Feel free to pm me for more details on study resources. But the ones I’ve mentioned are like the holy grail for the dat.
I have no advice for boosting your pat score, however. I tried pat booster and it badly over predicted my exam performance :/
I greatly appreciate the insight and detailed 'game plan'!!!

I will absolutely consider retaking... It's just stressful times! haha.

Right...

With you applying this cycle, what did your DAT look like if you don't mind me asking? -- also demographics, work experience, extra curriculars etc?

It's stressful trying to figure it all out and unfortunately, the crazy part about it all is again, to some extent, I feel there is no rhyme or reason for some individuals and their acceptance. I know 2 individuals specifically with rather low GPAs (3.1) and 17's on DAT AA (after 3 tries).

I personally would just like an interview at least to talk with a school on why I want it, and why I'd be great etc...

Who knows!
I took a windy road. I was an actuary and then vice president for a fortune 100 insurance company for 14 years prior to my retiring in January 2020. I was involved in the normal college clubs like Key Club and student government (~300 hours). Did some research with one of my favorite college profs over two summers (~200 hours). Volunteer work was nothing special, just habitat for hum, animal shelter duties, and math tutoring for my county's public school system (~300 hours).

Started college in 2000 but did not graduate until 2010 with BS in Biology. Solid GPA but not spectacular (3.37 overall, 3.30 science). Just took the DAT last week and had 25 AA, 24 TS, 30 QR, 20 RC, 24 BIO, 27 GC, 22 OC, 18 PAT. I'm probably going to retake some stuff over the summer like Genetics, A&P, Biochem, Micro, and Histology to show the schools that I can still swing the hammer in the classroom. Definitely a much more mature person now than when I graduated school in 2010 (I mean we would hope so), so I'm hoping that and my work leadership experience can bridge the gap some. I'm hoping my DAT will carry some good weight as well. We'll see what happens!

Reactions: 1 users
I love it. Yes quite the background and I'm excited for you! 25AA, that's great! congrats to you..
I feel very confident you will get in somewhere based on experiences/maturity/DAT and more...
Keep in touch. Best of luck!!

I agree with alot of the advice people have mentioned regarding your DAT. I was accepted this past cycle to a few schools. But i just wanted to say that you have a great story to tell. You have a whole journey describing how you came into dentistry and it really shows how even though people steered you away, you came full circle back to dentistry and that is something the schools will value ALOT and in my opinion would be a great personal statement.

I love it. Yes quite the background and I'm excited for you! 25AA, that's great! congrats to you..
I feel very confident you will get in somewhere based on experiences/maturity/DAT and more...
Keep in touch. Best of luck!!
Sure! Keep me posted. I registered for Genetics, micro, A&P, and pharmacology this summer and in the fall I’ll be taking Biochem 2 and Oral Histology and Embryology. These classes should tie well to a first year dental curriculum so I’m hoping these opens some eyes. We’ll see!

I agree with alot of the advice people have mentioned regarding your DAT. I was accepted this past cycle to a few schools. But i just wanted to say that you have a great story to tell. You have a whole journey describing how you came into dentistry and it really shows how even though people steered you away, you came full circle back to dentistry and that is something the schools will value ALOT and in my opinion would be a great personal statement.
greatly appreciate your insight and words. I will be sure to keep y'all posted as the process moves on!! :D

I think it's worth applying without a retake if you really don't want to. You have a unique background and can write a great personal statement from it. I'd say if you arent afraid of looking into any service-related scholarships like NHSC or HPSP then go for a ton of private schools

I think it's worth applying without a retake if you really don't want to. You have a unique background and can write a great personal statement from it. I'd say if you arent afraid of looking into any service-related scholarships like NHSC or HPSP then go for a ton of private schools
I think that's what I'm going to plan on doing... I know DAT scores are going up and up year after year but there are many schools with their stated AVERAGE DAT score being 19-20 range so I'm right at it...Will give it a shot and yes, Hopefully excite them with my personal statement, ha!
I will definitely look into private... I appreciate the response.

Do you have any shadowing experience? Volunteerwise, what did you do? I’d be a little concerned that you were persuaded by coaches and advisors to drop your premed/predental route for the sake of athletics. I’d have a hard time believing whether or not you were dedicated to the field. You have to weigh out other applicants against you too. People have spent years to prepare for this and went through shadowing to know what its all about. What do you have that would set you apart from other people? Many chose a different route careerwise then went back for dental. But, they also had shadowing and their experience showed that they had interest in the dental field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk