DAT scores: AA/TS/PAT - 20/21/25

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentgirl08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You guys - I really would appreciate your opinions.
I'm not ecstatic and a bit bummed...my school currently does not have an advisory board so I wasn't sure where I stood with these scores...and would appreciate a reality check from you all...

Here goes:

PAT 25
QR 19
RC 19
BIO 21
GC 20
OC 21
TS 21
AA 20

I don't think I'm going to retake it, but I guess I'm worried that it may not be that competitive this cycle. I've seen so many people do around 23 that I'm not sure where I stand...

In terms of my experience...here goes:

Bio - I think the best thing is to make sure you know the concepts behind all of the relevant topics. By relevant...when you're taking practice exams, you'll run into themes that reoccur again and again (embryology/photosyn/cell respir/endo/etc...)
However...the details are important too. But that doesn't mean know the concepts and move on...make sure to know the details too. Ok - this isn't helping...basically...I think the best thing to do is to take as many tests as you possibly can and when you get those questions wrong...takes notes on it and learn that entire topic. Don't just rely on Achiever and Topscore...Kaplan helps...so does AP test books like cliff's ap tests/REA's tests etc...even your old bio exams...Destroyer will be a huge help as well. Do not just memorize exams and their answers...talk yourself through them.

Gchem and Orgo - I don't think you guys should worry. It was a mixture of concepts and calculations for me (none required actually grinding out numbers...just set ups). I'm a bit disappointed with GC as I studied for it...but I guess I deserved OC since I studied for one week before test. (Bio was the one that took the most time for me). Like everyone else...make sure to know Destroyer for this. In addition however...AP Chem by Princeton helped too. Their two exams (esp conceptual questions) will add on to more practice.

QR - gosh I made a huge mistake...I skipped some questions (instead of guessing and moving on) thinking I could go back...and ran out of time...HUGE mistake...make sure to guess and mark! I don't know how to tell you to prep for this section but to know how to solve word problems...Kaplan word prob sets will help...Destroyer will give you a good basic foundation too. TS and Achiever will help as well, but I must say they will give you a false sense of feeling confident. Their questions sorta had a theme…and didn’t have much variety – it’s just another good source of practice materials.

RC – ok this one…I planned on the 10 minute reading/10minute answering…but that may not work out so well once you take it…I’m a poor reader…and definitely a slow reader…the questions do include inference/opinions/tone Q’s and the nitty gritty go find in the passage Q’s. The first passage took me about 22 minutes to complete and the 2nd passage took around 24…so I knew I couldn’t read the 3rd passage. I looked at the title…and read the first and last paragraph and tried to make the best guesses. I wouldn’t recommend the go directly into the Q’s and find the answers method, as understanding the tone of the passage helps you in answering the broader questions…

PAT – I think for me what worked was just taking a practice test each night for two weeks before exam. During the test I started panicking because I was on hold punching with 20 minutes to go…but the cube counting was a breeze and the paper folding was simple too. Angles…people said it was bad…so what I did was lean back and try to figure out smallest/biggest and look at the choices…then you’d know you’re on the right track…or reverse…look at your choices…so you know what’s maybe 2nd and 3rd smallest and pick the largest to get your answer…I don’t know the lean back thing really helped me a lot. For hold punching…what I did was quickly draw a square on my board and divide into 4. Then I using the symmetry concept, drew circles where it should’ve punched through.

Hope this helps and ask me anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Those scores are great.

I'd be thrilled.

There really haven't been that many 23+ scores this time....

What's nice is you have no glaring low score.... PAT also looks real nice on there too.

You should be thrilled. Congrats.

I forgot to add:

I was curious as to how many QR you skipped and didn't get a chance to go back to?

What was your reason for skipping, did you try them at all, or just skip ones that didn't look immediately obvious, etc.

Just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys for the encouraging words...maybe i had too much high expectations going in? i don't know...or i'm just a big baby? haha perhaps. =)

ok - regarding QR - normally what i did was run through the entire test and do all the doable ones....then take my time with the harder ones...and never ran out of time...but i think i fell into the trap of practicing very familiar problems...which helps of course...but it might set you up for a rather frenzy test experience when you're there seeing problems you're not familiar with. but i was so stuck on my habit of skipping and going back to them i forgot about time and all of a sudden it just stopped...i have no idea how many i skipped though (sorry) because i was so caught off guard and they don't have a summary of your detailed results...

Nice scores! You will be fine. Just have one question for RC, did you use the Kaplan method: road mapping. Did they give you two laminated yellow paper for RC or was it just a small white board the whole test? Thanks

well done! you have nothing to worry about you did amazing. party it up now with watever is left with the summer!!! enjoy and relax

If i get these scores on the 15th, i would cry lol.... Awesome scores!
How did you do on topscore, or kaplan midterms before the real thing?

those are great scores. congrats.

i would hope mine gets close to those wonderful numbers

congrats...on avg, how many non detail Q's per passage were there??

hmm...things moved so quickly i don't want to quote myself...but there was like good 1/3 inference/opinion/tone types of Qs per passage?

Nice scores! You will be fine. Just have one question for RC, did you use the Kaplan method: road mapping. Did they give you two laminated yellow paper for RC or was it just a small white board the whole test? Thanks

no road mapping - i didn't have much strategy except the 10 minute reading 10 minute answering. i just wanted to make sure i read as quickly as possible and pay attention to stuff while reading (i know...great advice huh?)...i think the 19 was due to the last passage which i took a lot of "educated" guesses on as i had no time to read and answer 17 Qs.

they gave me 3 laminated blue sheets with 2 markers. =)

Hey Congrats...
Did you use chad for the chemistry sections? How many months did you study for?

Hey congrats on your scores. I think a bit more on ochem wouldve been helpful cuz it's considered the easiest topic...
But a 20 is still competitive considering national average is 17-19