DAT scratch paper?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TonsilStone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody! I am taking my DAT at the end of May and I have been using a dry-erase board to do scratch work for chem, PAT, and QR. I know they provide 2 laminated sheets on the real exam, so I was wondering how many of those do you typically go through by the end of the exam. I assume it will fill up quickly during QR section. Do I have to ask them to change it every 5-10 questions that I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I used two sheets before I asked to replace both of them, and I think I replaced them during chemistry. The downside is that you get distracted when you raise your hand to see if the Prometric personnel are noticing you.

I used two sheets before I asked to replace both of them, and I think I replaced them during chemistry. The downside is that you get distracted when you raise your hand to see if the Prometric personnel are noticing you.

Seriously? can we ask for more sheets from the start?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this per section or for the entire test? I would imagine you'd need an ample amount of space for QR. I also use 1 side of a page just for PAT.

By the time I finished my exam, I believe I used about 6-8 pages.

I think I used 2-3 for Sciences, ~3 for Writing and ~2 for Math.

Timing is everything so I didn't bother raising my hand. I went to them and said give me more paper... please :whistle:

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for your answers guys! this makes it clear. I will also call my test center to see what their rules rules are. Someone on this forum wrote that they were provided with noise canceling headphones for the test, and I would absolutely love if my test center had those.

Hi everybody! I am taking my DAT at the end of May and I have been using a dry-erase board to do scratch work for chem, PAT, and QR. I know they provide 2 laminated sheets on the real exam, so I was wondering how many of those do you typically go through by the end of the exam. I assume it will fill up quickly during QR section. Do I have to ask them to change it every 5-10 questions that I do?

You definitely won't fill up the two sheets with 5-10 math questions! I don't think I even started writing on my second sheet, but of course, that depends on a person! If you think you might run out of space in the middle of the section, just ask your proctors for an extra sheet (that is, 3 total) when you'll be on break! If you get a nice person, you should be able to get at least 1+ extra sheet! :)

Thank you so much for your answers guys! this makes it clear. I will also call my test center to see what their rules rules are. Someone on this forum wrote that they were provided with noise canceling headphones for the test, and I would absolutely love if my test center had those.
Yeah my test center had two kinds, but both were very uncomfortable so I used my own ear plugs I've been practicing with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the time I finished my exam, I believe I used about 6-8 pages.

I think I used 2-3 for Sciences, ~3 for Writing and ~2 for Math.

Timing is everything so I didn't bother raising my hand. I went to them and said give me more paper... please :whistle:

this is one of my worst fears, wouldn't even getting up to get more papers kill you (time wise) if you weren't going beast mode on each question?

Also, is any of the paper gridded? like if I wanted to use a grid for keyhole problems? Do I have to sketch the whole thing out myself?

this is one of my worst fears, wouldn't even getting up to get more papers kill you (time wise) if you weren't going beast mode on each question?

No because my center had 2 sign in desks. Seeing how I took mine during the middle of the day, there was a constant influx and efflux of test takers and for me to sit there with 2 filled boards of scratch paper waiting for a free attendant on a question I KNEW how to go about solving but just needed paper to write on meant I couldn't move to the next question because I didn't want to risk

A. Coming back later and not having enough time to get it right due to rushing

B. Coming back mentally exhausted and blanking on what I already knew how to do

Simply getting up out of my seat, opening the door and waving my used paper was enough for them to take it, replace it and send me on my way.

Pretty sure they realize the magnitude of our situation during the test and they don't want to be the reason why we may or may not answer incorrectly.

So just take the paper, give new paper, get out of my face is their mentality :oops:

Last edited: