DAT timing question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GT Dental

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I am a third year student and just decided that I am going to stay here an extra ...semester at least, so essentially, I will graduate in 'five' years.

I was planning on taking the DAT in the beginning of this upcoming summer but now have other options since I'll be applying a year later.

I still want to take it and get it over with, but how long are DAT scores 'good' for. I've heard from 2-5 years. Also, would it be worth waiting a few semesters to take it (after taking some in depth bio courses such as cell bio, biochem, etc.) instead of taking it sooner -- right after I finish orgo (so it would be fresh?)

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

You need to check with the individual schools you are interested in. The ADEA guide for students entering dental school, which is published each year, will list the oldest acceptable DAT for that cycle, ex. this year some accepted 2005, some 2006, ... flipping through quickly the oldest acceptable DAT I saw was 2004, so that's 4 years old. I think you should be safe at most school with a 2 year old DAT, but it's always wise to check with the schools themselves.