DAT: Winter Break or Summer after graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tatu78

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so what I know for sure is that I will submit my application on or near June 1st,2018. I will start my senior year this year and I have all prereqs checked off except orgo 2, which I plan to take in Spring '18.

Now my problem is that I won't be done with orgo 2 until after spring semester, and I have a short timeframe between graduation day to june 1st. Now, obviously I need time to study, and if I were to take the dat after spring, I'm looking at taking the exam on July 1st. The problem with that is if I dont do well, i basically need to wait another cycle ( oct 1st is too late imo) and all the money i spent on the app would go to waste.
Now, I can study for the dat between the winter break of '17-'18, roughly 4 weeks compared to the 6 I'd spend if i took it in july. The only problem would be that id self-teach myself orgo 2...

I just really want to get it all over with, and the fact that it's one shot in july is giving me anxiety. Im thinking if i fail/ dont do as well as i hoped on the winterbreak dat, i can retake it after 3 months. I also took a practice dat on bootcamp w/o any review and got 15 aa 17 pat...with lowest of low being in orgo...

Please help a homie out. Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Self-teaching half of orgo for the DAT is possible, but I would also avoid it if I could (plus taking it right after completing orgo 2 means that material will be really fresh in your head, which is a nice advantage). I'd do the 6 weeks in the summer which will give you more time to prepare and you'll be absolutely fine submitting on July 1st.

When it comes to the DAT, prepare for it like you've only got one shot - don't plan on around the possibility of a retake.

Reactions: 1 user
def after orgo 2. You won't even have to study for the orgo section since it would be so fresh

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should take it early July to give yourself a few more days. July 10 is a good time because your transcripts getting mailed and gpa verification takes 3 weeks total. I took it July 12 gave myself 5 weeks to study and everything was fine on the timeline to apply

I would take it over winter break. This summer spend some time reviewing Orgo (Chad's videos) then you take a DAT practice test for orgo and see how you do. If you do well, then definitely take over winter break. Most of the Orgo on the DAT is first semester anyway. Taking in winter will give yourself the opportunity to take it again if needed. You don't want to be in the position next summer where you didn't do well on the DAT and have already submitted your apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Summer

I never took orgo 2, and scored 22 on orgo. watch chad videos and understand the concepts from orgo 1 and you will be fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you guys think 4 weeks is enough to study?

if i studied for 4 weeks i'd probably get a -5AA but everyone is different.

Take it whenever you feel comfortable. If it comes time over winter break to take it and you don't feel prepared then reschedule it for summer. There is no reason to take it for the sake of taking it. A good time to know when you're ready is if you feel you know feralis notes inside and out. By that time you spend so much time for bio and also studied for the chems as well probably along the way so you should be good