Dat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GOLDenKatie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a touchy subject but I have a few reasons for wanting to take the DAT instead of MCAT. I am applying this cycle and I am still a fulltime undergrad so I haven't had much time to study for the MCAT which I wanted to take in January. I am afraid if I wait until March and get a poor score I won't get accepted anywhere BUT I am only interested in Temple and NYCPM so if I take the DAT in February or March they will receive my scores sooner and I still have time to retake if needed since there are more testing dates (I think you have to wait one month though).
I was wondering, if I study for the DAT do pod schools look at the PAT score? I wasn't planning on focusing too much on this section since I heard most don't look at that score.
I also had to retake some math courses early in undergrad and I would like to prove to myself and schools especially that I am proficient in math.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

well ,well ,those schools you want to get in will accept applications till June, you still have time as long as you have a good GPA, good hours of shadowing a DPM, etc. as far as the DAT ,if you get a bad score you can retake it after 3 month not one month so make sure you do good , and as far as the pat , they will take a look at that part but they dont care alot if you get a low score just get a high TS and AA good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the MCAT.... The MCAT average for pod schools is pretty low/easy to obtain. The DAT average for pod schools is somewhat average for dental schools (correct me if im wrong I never applied to dental schools). So it appears to be easier to score an acceptable score taking the MCAT.

Last edited by a moderator:
So do you think I still have a chance if I take the MCAT in March? I know I won't be ready to take in January. I already applied, schools are just waiting for a DAT or MCAT score.

If those are the schools you want to go to, take the DAT. Screw what everybody else says, look out for yourself. I don't agree with accepting the DAT, or your reasoning behind taking it. At the end of the day (to used classic over-used sports cliches), you are responsible for your own actions and their consequences.

I think I will just take the MCAT, if taking it in March is too late I will just apply for the January term for NYCPM. I have heard taking the DAT is a little easier than the MCAT and since I was only interested in the 2 schools I was just thinking about taking the dat since I could study for a shorter amount of time and take it sooner.
But I think I will have a better chance of getting an avg score on the mcat than an 18-19 which is above avg for dental. Of course I want to get above a 21 on the mcat to increase my chances plus scholarship
Thanks for the help

I think u should take the MCAT.
DAT is be no means easier than the MCAT and also most schools will only give out scholarships if u have a mcat score.

Actually I did receive a scholarship with a DAT score

Last edited: