Data on Water Birthing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spaslam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The data from several studies, such as the one below, seem overwhelmingly positive. Yet I have not heard much about this in the USA.

interested to hear your thoughts.
-------------------------
Gynakol Geburtshilfliche Rundsch. 2007;47(2):76-80.
[Giving birth in the water: experience after 1,825 water deliveries. Retrospective descriptive comparison of water birth and traditional delivery methods]

Thöni A, Zech N, Ploner F.

Abteilung fur Gynäkologie und Geburtshilfe, Landeskrankenhaus Sterzing, Sterzing, Italien. [email protected]

OBJECTIVE: We reviewed 1,825 water births at a single institution over a 9-year period. METHODS: We compared 830 primipara deliveries in water with 424 primipara deliveries in the traditional bed and 136 on the delivery stool. We also evaluated the duration of labour, arterial cord blood pH and base excess in the primiparae, and perineal trauma, shoulder dystocia and deliveries after preceding caesarean section as well as rates of neonatal infection in all the 1,825 water births. RESULTS: The duration of the first stage of labour was significantly shorter with water births than with the other delivery positions. The episiotomy rate for all water births was found to be much lower compared to deliveries carried out in the bed or on the birthing stool. The rate of perineal tears was similar. There were no differences in the duration of the second stage, arterial cord blood pH and base excess. No woman using the water birth method required analgesics. There were 3 shoulder dystocias with water births. Sixty-eight women delivered in water after a preceding caesarean section. CONCLUSION: Water births appears to be associated with a significantly shorter first stage of labour, a lower episiotomy rate and reduced analgesic requirements when compared with other delivery positions. If women are selected appropriately, water birth appears to be safe for both the mother and neonate. Copyright 2007 S. Karger AG, Basel.

Members don't see this ad.

One big concern with a retrospective study is that the comparison groups may not be equivalent. The women who were selected for water birth were likely less high risk that the other women, as well as likely having multiple different variables. The only ones I've seen labor in the water were midwife patients here, who are low risk by definition in that system. You are also less likely to have an epis anyways in the water - the abstract didn't say if women who eventually needed an epis and were pulled out of the water to deliver in the bed were counted in the study and with which group. It's not high on my list of things to do in life, the one water birth I've seen was pretty gross - I'm not much for sticking my hands in water with blood/clots/poop floating in it!

Barbara Harper, R.N. is very motivated to promote waterbirth and has a wealth of information on her site. She has brought protocols into hospitals all over the world, she's doing amazing work.

www.waterbirth.org is her site, she has studies there as well.

Anecdotally (for whatever that's worth, usually nothing lol), water is often used as the 'epidural' for unmedicated births. There is tremendous pain relief when the laboring mother is submerged up to her chest where her whole belly is allowed into the water without restriction to her movement. The labor tubs usually found in hospitals don't really allow this, they're just too narrow and/or shallow. I've seen women in labor near the end of their coping ability climb into a warm tub of water and actually get to sleep as the contractions space out a bit, and she relaxes. Invaluable rest and pain relief, without all the interventions that come with epidurals or narcotics, without the risks that come with them as well. Definitely worth researching, IMO. :)

But... I am biased. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not high on my list of things to do in life, the one water birth I've seen was pretty gross - I'm not much for sticking my hands in water with blood/clots/poop floating in it!

This made me laugh, and not in a mean way... I've seen the birth 'soup' and it is gross, but usually the midwife is quick to catch any floaters as they happen so mom isn't sitting in them. I've been elbow deep in supporting women in birth tubs and you really can't be squeamish to assist laboring women. All kinds of goo squeezes out of various places and I'm so used to it now I could eat a roast beef sandwich with one hand and hold a barf bowl for the mama with the other. :sleep:

When you attended that birth, were there the long shoulder length gloves available?

Birth: not for the squeamish! :scared:

This made me laugh, and not in a mean way... I've seen the birth 'soup' and it is gross, but usually the midwife is quick to catch any floaters as they happen so mom isn't sitting in them. I've been elbow deep in supporting women in birth tubs and you really can't be squeamish to assist laboring women. All kinds of goo squeezes out of various places and I'm so used to it now I could eat a roast beef sandwich with one hand and hold a barf bowl for the mama with the other. :sleep:

When you attended that birth, were there the long shoulder length gloves available?

Birth: not for the squeamish! :scared:

Nope, it was one of those oops, can't get her out of the tub and back to land to deliver. Gowns aren't waterproof when you submerge them, and no version gloves (the long ones)! Very gross. Although, I've also delivered on the bathroom floor, which wasn't much cleaner. I'm usually not squeamish, but feeling like I'm IN the toilet was nasty! In my other deliveries, I've got a bag to catch the nasties and am not constantly looking for them to run into me! But I can't eat roast beef anyways, the fat strands in it gross me out too!

I was in birth soup. mmm hhhhmmm. birth was nice - but i wanted to shower right away!