DATBootcamp Bio Test1 Q38

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jLaws

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which female shows a higher rate of fitness within her population?
Between these two answers:
B. A female who has 3 offspring and they all live.
E. A female who has 12 offspring and 11 die.

The answer was B, but doesn't that presuppose that none of the offspring had their own offspring before they died?

Also, I'm having trouble finding a definition for fitness that says that the fitness of the offspring needs to be taken into account. If that is the case, why not define fitness simply as the ability to leave more genes in the next generation..

Also, what if we take it one step further and say that 9 died in answer choice E so that they both have 3 living offspring, but of those offspring, the 3 in answer choice B had only 2 living offspring while those in E had 3.... Do we apply these observations to the original female and say that E is more fit now?

Members don't see this ad.

Which female shows a higher rate of fitness within her population?
Between these two answers:
B. A female who has 3 offspring and they all live.
E. A female who has 12 offspring and 11 die.

The answer was B, but doesn't that presuppose that none of the offspring had their own offspring before they died?

Also, I'm having trouble finding a definition for fitness that says that the fitness of the offspring needs to be taken into account. If that is the case, why not define fitness simply as the ability to leave more genes in the next generation..

Also, what if we take it one step further and say that 9 died in answer choice E so that they both have 3 living offspring, but of those offspring, the 3 in answer choice B had only 2 living offspring while those in E had 3.... Do we apply these observations to the original female and say that E is more fit now?

your assumption is right... But I think you're over-thinking it.

Just ask yourself which of the following is not like the other, and B would be your answer.