Dating in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

readmypostsMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any tips for a lonely dudebro? I’ll be in a city. Tinder? Bumble? Dating classmates? Do girls really go crazy for med students?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Get that white coat dating app profile and you’re good to go. DMs will be flooded

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Get that white coat dating app profile and you’re good to go. DMs will be flooded

I set my profile to md, but haven’t matched as competitively as I expected to

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! Definitely try a dating app. It's all a numbers game. Eventually you will go on a date with someone good for you! I met my fiancé over bumble 3 years ago when I was a 3rd year medical student. Do it!

- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors

• Haha
Yes! Definitely try a dating app. It's all a numbers game. Eventually you will go on a date with someone good for you! I met my fiancé over bumble 3 years ago when I was a 3rd year medical student. Do it!

- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors

That’s awesome! Congrats

I’m personally skeptical tho... I’m not sure how I personally feel about having something serious from a dating app... it feels too manufactured for me

That’s awesome! Congrats

I’m personally skeptical tho... I’m not sure how I personally feel about having something serious from a dating app... it feels too manufactured for me

I was skeptical too! Looking back it's hard to believe that Bumble is the way we met. But remember, it's just a way of bringing two people together to meet for the first time. Once you meet in person then the dating app disappears (assuming you don't want to continue dating other/multiple people lol), you switch to text, go on dates, and before you know it you'll think it's funny that that's the way you met in the first place. I say it's at least worth giving it a try. But just remember, you have to go through a lot of bad apples until you find a good one!

Good luck!!

- Annette

Reactions: 1 user
I live with 3 dudes who all started out single and tried the apps.
But, they've each ended up with another MD or biomed PhD student they met through the school.
Dating outside the institution is especially bad in this city since there is very little else to draw future yuppies to the area, you might have better luck than they did if you're in a better spot.

I live with 3 dudes who all started out single and tried the apps.
But, they've each ended up with another MD or biomed PhD student they met through the school.
Dating outside the institution is especially bad in this city since there is very little else to draw future yuppies to the area, you might have better luck than they did if you're in a better spot.

I thought we’re not suppose to **** where we eat

• Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 5 users
Was in your shoes for a time. #1 rule is you've got to put yourself out there outside your comfort zone. #2 is accept and embrace rejection. Some people just won't vibe with you and vice versa and that's okay.

Dating apps are useful and I know they're a numbers game but have some class. No white coat pic or stethoscope. That's just saying "date me for my job" IMO. Maybe just mention you're a med student. Show your non-school interests.

To further make the point: anyone that "goes crazy for a med student" you should be wary of. Not only is it misplaced (250k+ debt lol) but dating or encounters using a vapid crutch like your job just leaves no chance for actual compatibility. That's why I don't think you should advertise it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
FWIW I automatically swipe left on anyone wearing a white coat/scrubs on dating apps. If the most important thing about you is a $50 white coat, you're probably not a very interesting person...

Reactions: 9 users
Yeah I guess it’s just like I’m not really a chad so I thought the white coat might help for online dating for non-serious connections

Reactions: 4 users
Shouldn't be any different to dating out of med school? Get involved in multiple things, sports, run club etc so that you meet a wide range of people. Study Monday-Friday throwing in an hour or two a day for whatever activities you chose to get involved with, try hangout with friends/party Friday/Saturday night.

Hell I met my current gf of 2 years at a culture festival thing where we both turned out to be there just for the free food.

Basically just be proactive.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just be sure to communicate your time restraints. I've had issues with men who didn't understand how little free time medical school leaves for dates

Reactions: 1 users
didnt work for me... (i am female). Guys straight out asked me if i am comfortable with having a stay at home husband.... I mean, i AM. But they were so obviously looking for a cash cow, that i just gave up on dating altogether :)

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
@culturekweenXx i am ok though. I decided to just look at it as a positive thing, - i have more time to focus on studying and my career.
One of my friends is an M1, has 2 kids, husband, and sometimes i am so jealous (especially around holidays). But she said that she is jealous of me because i can focus on my career, while she feels guilty every time she studies instead of spending time with her kids and husband. So, it is what it is. You can look at everything as a positive or negative, you know?

@culturekweenXx i am ok though. I decided to just look at it as a positive thing, - i have more time to focus on studying and my career.
One of my friends is an M1, has 2 kids, husband, and sometimes i am so jealous (especially around holidays). But she said that she is jealous of me because i can focus on my career, while she feels guilty every time she studies instead of spending time with her kids and husband. So, it is what it is. You can look at everything as a positive or negative, you know?
Being single definitely has its perks

But for anyone who considers dating in medical school, i think the most important thing is to be honest. Tell the person honestly what your expectation is from the relationship, and how far in your mind it can go. Also, be honest about your availability.

didnt work for me... (i am female). Guys straight out asked me if i am comfortable with having a stay at home husband.... I mean, i AM. But they were so obviously looking for a cash cow, that i just gave up on dating altogether :)

I think I read somewhere that the majority of female docs are married to other docs, but only a minority of male docs are married to other docs

Is this the “wOmEn dOnT DaTe DowN” thing?

• Haha
I think I read somewhere that the majority of female docs are married to other docs, but only a minority of male docs are married to other docs

i think it depends on the woman.. The situations that i personally had were more along the lines of
1) guy obviously wants to date me because he wants me as a potential cash cow in future
2) guy doesnt care about the money per se, and says that he likes ambitious women, but starts having problems with me having a more successful career than him ("i am too stupid for you, you will meet a smart hot doctor and leave me")
3) or the guy saying that he loves my career, doesnt mind that i am "smarter" (according to him), but starts getting upset when i have to study long nights instead of spending time with him, cook, etc.

Dating a doctor, lawyer, or someone else with a demanding careers (intellectually and time wise) is easier, because they already understand the demands, and you dont have to explain it to them. Plus, unfortunately, even though guys like the idea of their wife being more "successful", often it is not the case, and it starts eating on them day by day.... Of course, it is not all the guys, but a lot.

• Angry
Reactions: 7 users

I'm curious how this would work. Majority of doctors are women now, and if a majority of them are married to male doctors, wouldn't that make the majority of male doctors married to those women?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
i think it depends on the woman.. The situations that i personally had were more along the lines of
1) guy obviously wants to date me because he wants me as a potential cash cow in future
2) guy doesnt care about the money per se, and says that he likes ambitious women, but starts having problems with me having a more successful career than him ("i am too stupid for you, you will meet a smart hot doctor and leave me")
3) or the guy saying that he loves my career, doesnt mind that i am "smarter" (according to him), but starts getting upset when i have to study long nights instead of spending time with him, cook, etc.

Dating a doctor, lawyer, or someone else with a demanding careers (intellectually and time wise) is easier, because they already understand the demands, and you dont have to explain it to them. Plus, unfortunately, even though guys like the idea of their wife being more "successful", often it is not the case, and it starts eating on them day by day.... Of course, it is not all the guys, but a lot.
I could also see men potentially looking for wives who want to be stay-at-home moms. Depends on what they want for their family I guess. That would probably account for some of it.

Can go the other way too. Lots of guys (anecdotally) don't want a partner more successful than them.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Huh... I have no idea anymore lol

I thought the majority of doctors were women? Wasn't that like a big thing 2 years ago when they became the majority?

Does that mean the system is biased against men...

More likely it means more women are interested in healthcare than men nowadays. And able to get in.
It's interest and ability in one direction, but discrimination and bias in the other...
Hmm...

• Love
It's interest and ability in one direction, but discrimination and bias in the other...
Hmm...
I'm pretty dang conservative but I don't think there's much gender advantage either way at this point. The fact is more women go to college than men anyway. Med School classes tend to be just about even so I don't think there's much of that going on really.

If this doesn't make sense, I may have misunderstood what you are getting at.

I'm pretty dang conservative but I don't think there's much gender advantage either way at this point. The fact is more women go to college than men anyway. Med School classes tend to be just about even so I don't think there's much of that going on really.

If this doesn't make sense, I may have misunderstood what you are getting at.

think they gettin @ the point that whenever men dominate a field/profession, it’s due to systemic bias against women, but when women dominate a profession, it’s due to more women just going down that route

think they gettin @ the point that whenever men dominate a field/profession, it’s due to systemic bias against women, but when women dominate a profession, it’s due to more women just going down that route
Oh I gotcha. Yeah, there are gonna be narratives for all of it.

Huh... I have no idea anymore lol

I thought the majority of doctors were women? Wasn't that like a big thing 2 years ago when they became the majority?

Majority of medical students are now women.

Medicine has been a very conservative and male dominated field basically forever. It's going to be a couple decades before the slight female majority in medical school reverses that trend.

Here are numbers from 2015: overall, physicians are still 66% male. Every specialty is still majority male except ob-gyn, peds and various pediatric subspecialties, and geriatrics.

Last edited:

Medicine has been a very conservative and male dominated field for 80+ years. It's going to be a couple decades before the slight female majority in medical school reverses that trend.

Here are numbers from 2015: overall, physicians are still 66% male. Every specialty is still majority male except ob-gyn, peds and various pediatric subspecialties, and geriatrics.
I guess that would make sense. I wonder what the numbers are if you include non-active physicians. Probably not a lot different, but still curious.

Medicine has been a very conservative and male dominated field for 80+ years. It's going to be a couple decades before the slight female majority in medical school reverses that trend.

So am I suppose to think that there is bias against men in med school? Or does bias only go 1 direction haha

So am I suppose to think that there is bias against men in med school? Or does bias only go 1 direction haha

I don't think there's any gender bias in admissions. More women are going to college, more women are applying to medical school, and women on average have higher GPAs. So it makes sense that a majority of medical students are women.

I don't think there's any gender bias in admissions. More women are going to college, more women are applying to medical school, and women on average have higher GPAs. So it makes sense that a majority of medical students are women.

I think OP meant in the context of dating, not admissions.

I want to meet my wife in medical school so we can be a power couple and make a lot of money together. ;)

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
I don't understand why men date just to waste years of a woman's life with no intentions to settle down and marry.

But that's just me.

Anyways like @MedLife20 I hope to meet my SPOUSE in med school. He can be a lawyer or firefighter or mechanic or doctor. Idrc so long as he's hard working and treats me like his queen <3

I already know so many 'bros' during M1 are going to be looking for easy s-x so I'm planning on rejecting every guy in med school that asks me out M1.

I already know so many 'bros' during M1 are going to be looking for easy s-x so I'm planning on rejecting every guy in med school that asks me out M1.

Wut bout dudebroguymans :oops:

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I don't understand why men date just to waste years of a woman's life with no intentions to settle down and marry.

But that's just me.

Anyways like @MedLife20 I hope to meet my SPOUSE in med school. He can be a lawyer or firefighter or mechanic or doctor. Idrc so long as he's hard working and treats me like his queen <3

Sometimes people just want sex or something for fun. Women do it too sometimes.