DATS over MCATS????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCDD12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

I read on the podiatry website (www.aacpm.org) that some schools will accept the DATS instead of the MCATS. Has anyone heard of any schools that does this? and, has anyone submitted DAT scores instead of the MCATS? Thankss

Members don't see this ad.

hi all,

I read on the podiatry website (www.aacpm.org) that some schools will accept the DATS instead of the MCATS. Has anyone heard of any schools that does this? and, has anyone submitted DAT scores instead of the MCATS? Thankss

As the MCAT is now being offered many times a year, I think most schools are now moving away from this. Contact the programs that you are interested in and ask them.

The schools that I know are officially accepting the DAT are: Temple, California, Ohio, Scholl, NYCPM, and Barry. Scholl recently just started accepting DATs, but it is on a case by case basis (if your scores are good and your gpa is, they will want to look at you.) Arizona to my knowledge isnt. Des Moines is accepting DATs but only until December 31rst 2006. I remember hearing that they will only be taking MCATs as of Jan 1 2007, but you would have to ask them to verify. I know some people who submitted DATs to all of the schools I listed above and were accepted. I also know some people who submitted GRE scores and were accepted to some of the schools as well. Up to you which test you want to take, but the MCAT is probably your best bet. Good luck! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the MCATs to be safe! I took the DATs and all the schools I interviewed at grilled me on why I took the DATs and if I was planning to take the MCATs. Samuel Merritt, DMU, AZPOD (the 3 I interviewed at) are no longer accepting the DATs.

You can however receive a conditional acceptance if you already took the DATs at these schools but will have to take the MCATs before matriculating. But since Jan 1st is around the corner, I don't know if they'll be doing that anymore. I know the other schools are still accepting the DATs for Fall 2007 matriculation but who knows what will happen for 2008. Goodluck!

Take the MCATs to be safe! I took the DATs and all the schools I interviewed at grilled me on why I took the DATs and if I was planning to take the MCATs. Samuel Merritt, DMU, AZPOD (the 3 I interviewed at) are no longer accepting the DATs.

You can however receive a conditional acceptance if you already took the DATs at these schools but will have to take the MCATs before matriculating. But since Jan 1st is around the corner, I don't know if they'll be doing that anymore. I know the other schools are still accepting the DATs for Fall 2007 matriculation but who knows what will happen for 2008. Goodluck!

It is my understanding that DMU does not do conditional acceptance. The Dean will place a hold on your file until it is complete. Once the file is complete one of four things will happen: 1) you will be accepted into the class; 2) you will be placed on the waiting list; 3) you will be offered deferred enrollment into the next years class (this happens if the class is already filled; 4) you are rejected.

You will not get a statement "under these conditions you will be accepted" b/c the school is always striving to increase the school stats. Therefore the expectations are every increasing. It is my understanding that the class of 2011 is shaping up to have a very high standard of excellence. The goal of the college is to have the class profile of a GPA around 3.3-3.5 and an MCAT of 24.

The only school I know of that "conditionally accepts you" until you take the MCAT (because you took another test) is Scholl. The only real reason a school will really conditionally accept you is if you do not have your transcripts, grades or letters of recommendation in. What Dr. Feelgood said is right on the nose.

Oops sorry my mistake, that is true that DMU either accepts, place on hold, waitlists, or rejects you. CSPM is the one that will offer the conditional acceptance on the understanding that you will take the MCATs.

Although I was accepted in DMU with DAT scores, during the interview, I was asked if I was planning to take the MCATs and if so, when.

Cheetos: are you going to DMU next year?

hi all,

I've been invited to interview at DMU, AZPod, Chicago, Ohio, and Oakland. Of the two schools I've interviewed with, they both accepted the DATs and never asked me anything about the MCAT.
Oakland is the only school who told me they require the MCAT, but still invited me to interview.

I've been invited to interview at DMU, AZPod, Chicago, Ohio, and Oakland. Of the two schools I've interviewed with, they both accepted the DATs and never asked me anything about the MCAT.
Oakland is the only school who told me they require the MCAT, but still invited me to interview.

DMU was changing to MCAT only in Janurary but the powers that be felt that it would not be fair to change in the middle of the application year. So once the class of 2011 is filled that will be the last time they accept the DAT at DMU.

As always, call the admissions office for confirmation at any school.

hi all, i was reading the thread and someone said that DMU doesn't offer condtional acceptance. What if I were to apply without having taken organic chem lab 1 and 2, but plan on taking it before i enroll(if accepted)? My 2 orgo lectures only equate to 6 credits--not 8 like most schools state on their website. The lab classes are offered separate at my school.

whats with the recent rash of newb repeat threads? use the search function pleaaaase.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi all, i was reading the thread and someone said that DMU doesn't offer condtional acceptance. What if I were to apply without having taken organic chem lab 1 and 2, but plan on taking it before i enroll(if accepted)? My 2 orgo lectures only equate to 6 credits--not 8 like most schools state on their website. The lab classes are offered separate at my school.

I would call Meghan in admissions about this. She is super nice and will be better qualified to answer your question.

Just an FYI, last weekend at the APMSA house of delegates meeting a resolution pertaining to the MCAT was passed as an external resolution so I can post about it here for you all to read. The resolution calls for all schools to move to the MCAT as the sole admissions test for podiatric medical school. A copy is posted below:

Resolution – Mr. Vest – MCAT

Whereas; There is a current discrepancy between accepted admissions exams amongst the eight Podiatric Medical Schools.
Whereas; Both Osteopathic and Allopathic Medical Schools require completion of the Medical College Admissions Test prior to admission.
Whereas; Beginning January 1, 2007 MCAT test administrations have increased from twice a year to twenty-two times per year.
Resolved; The APMSA requests on behalf of its constituents that the Council of Deans address the current lack of consistency among the schools’ admissions policies and make the necessary changes to move to the MCAT as the required test for admission to a College of Podiatric Medicine.

The resolution will be presented to the Council of Deans and will more than likely be addressed at their next meeting. It would seem that the move to the MCAT will occur across the board eventually so you might be doing yourself a favor by just taking it rather than the DAT. Trust me it is not as bad as you think.

Just an FYI, last weekend at the APMSA house of delegates meeting a resolution pertaining to the MCAT was passed as an external resolution so I can post about it here for you all to read. The resolution calls for all schools to move to the MCAT as the sole admissions test for podiatric medical school. A copy is posted below:

Resolution – Mr. Vest – MCAT

Whereas; There is a current discrepancy between accepted admissions exams amongst the eight Podiatric Medical Schools.
Whereas; Both Osteopathic and Allopathic Medical Schools require completion of the Medical College Admissions Test prior to admission.
Whereas; Beginning January 1, 2007 MCAT test administrations have increased from twice a year to twenty-two times per year.
Resolved; The APMSA requests on behalf of its constituents that the Council of Deans address the current lack of consistency among the schools’ admissions policies and make the necessary changes to move to the MCAT as the required test for admission to a College of Podiatric Medicine.

The resolution will be presented to the Council of Deans and will more than likely be addressed at their next meeting. It would seem that the move to the MCAT will occur across the board eventually so you might be doing yourself a favor by just taking it rather than the DAT. Trust me it is not as bad as you think.

Go Vest!

WOO HOO.

My school will not like this. ha ha ha:laugh: :smuggrin:

They take the DAT still. At the tour I went to last week, I asked if they were going MCAT only and they made it sound like it was not happening anytime soon.

Why won't NY like it?

they still take the DAT and think that it is just as good a test. They get people to take the DAT instead of the MCAT because it is offered more (to date) and then those students have trouble going else where because they took the DATs and not the MCATs.

The only part of the DAT that I think should really count is the spatial relationships which in actuality does not count at all for pod school.

In Clinics of Pod Med and Surg that I have been posting on another thread, there is part that says as a surgeon it is all 3-D and wee need to think in dimensions not flat. So wouldn't it be best if we were to still us the DAT to use the spatial relationships part?

they still take the DAT and think that it is just as good a test. They get people to take the DAT instead of the MCAT because it is offered more (to date) and then those students have trouble going else where because they took the DATs and not the MCATs.

The only part of the DAT that I think should really count is the spatial relationships which in actuality does not count at all for pod school.

In Clinics of Pod Med and Surg that I have been posting on another thread, there is part that says as a surgeon it is all 3-D and wee need to think in dimensions not flat. So wouldn't it be best if we were to still us the DAT to use the spatial relationships part?

It is a shame that we don't have our own standardized exam for podiatric medicine. So the next best thing would be agreeing on one to accept for admissions. I think that most of the colleges are going to move to MCAT only. In my opinion, those that don't are going to suffer.

It is a shame that we don't have our own standardized exam for podiatric medicine. So the next best thing would be agreeing on one to accept for admissions. I think that most of the colleges are going to move to MCAT only. In my opinion, those that don't are going to suffer.

agreed.

I was just making a point about the fact that we use the DAT now but do not even use the most useful part of it.

All good points. I would love to eventually see an admissions test solely for podiatry school, but the fact of the matter is that until the applicant pool is big enough there is now way the profession could afford the financial burden of creating and administering the test. That's the same reason we are being forced to pay almost $1,000 for part one of the boards. The bottom line is that this is a step in the right direction for the profession. The schools who chose not to make the necessary changes to make sure that only the best and brightest applicants matriculate into podiatry school will only be hurting themselves. I truly believe that this resolution will have an impact on those schools who chose to settle for what is easy rather than challenge themselves to strive for more than mediocrity. The change will come and they can either choose to be a part of progress toward parity or be left behind.

All good points. I would love to eventually see an admissions test solely for podiatry school, but the fact of the matter is that until the applicant pool is big enough there is now way the profession could afford the financial burden of creating and administering the test. That's the same reason we are being forced to pay almost $1,000 for part one of the boards. The bottom line is that this is a step in the right direction for the profession. The schools who chose not to make the necessary changes to make sure that only the best and brightest applicants matriculate into podiatry school will only be hurting themselves. I truly believe that this resolution will have an impact on those schools who chose to settle for what is easy rather than challenge themselves to strive for more than mediocrity. The change will come and they can either choose to be a part of progress toward parity or be left behind.

well said.

If NY does choose to go the way of the DAT and MCAT they might as well paint the whole school black because everyone else will black list them like they did when the school left the AA.