MCAT Trending over time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Certified Corsair

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just curious, but does anyone happen to have data on the rough trend of MCAT grades for matriculants over the past few years? Or does anyone see it going up next year or the year after from each podiatry schools average?

Members don't see this ad.

There's gotta be at least 5-7 threads covering this topic alone.

I promise you if you find the search function, you will find average MCAT for podiatry classes even specifically for each program if you wanted to over the years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Just curious, but does anyone happen to have data on the rough trend of MCAT grades for matriculants over the past few years? Or does anyone see it going up next year or the year after from each podiatry schools average?

It's starting to come out now, but applications to AACPM for c/o 2021 is down 17% right now (don't have a link but it's been quoted at a few APMA rep visitors). Expect the average MCAT to be down for c/o 2021.

It's starting to come out now, but applications to AACPM for c/o 2021 is down 17% right now (don't have a link but it's been quoted at a few APMA rep visitors). Expect the average MCAT to be down for c/o 2021.

Are you at Barry, if you don't mind me asking?

Do you think it's just a very strong lack of awareness and interest in this field, or schools are just getting more competitive?

In real life, I am THE only pre-pod I know! No joke. I'm currently attending a school (this will be my second college I'm attending) and there's no one in any of the sciences classes that is doing podiatry (first AND second college combined). Many premeds don't even know it's its own separate title and schooling.

This might mean the SDN picture of podiatry might not be as accurate as we think. You're in Bob's year and you guys seemed like you put up some solid #s, iirc. This year's class aren't doing too bad either but that's the SDN community. The bigger picture might be a different case.

GPAs might have gone up though.

There's gotta be at least 5-7 threads covering this topic alone.

I promise you if you find the search function, you will find average MCAT for podiatry classes even specifically for each program if you wanted to over the years.

Lol... my man Weirdy...!! :laugh:

It doesn't hurt to take it easy sometimes though.. hehehe

Reactions: 1 user
Are you at Barry, if you don't mind me asking?

Do you think it's just a very strong lack of awareness and interest in this field, or schools are just getting more competitive?

In real life, I am THE only pre-pod I know! No joke. I'm currently attending a school (this will be my second college I'm attending) and there's no one in any of the sciences classes that is doing podiatry (first AND second college combined). Many premeds don't even know it's its own separate title and schooling.

This might mean the SDN picture of podiatry might not be as accurate as we think. You're in Bob's year and you guys seemed like you put up some solid #s, iirc. This year's class aren't doing too bad either but that's the SDN community. The bigger picture might be a different case.

GPAs might have gone up though.

I think there are a myriad of factors but I think a combination of two are the main drivers of the dip in applications:

1) APMA has not, historically, invested a ton of resources into marketing, branding, outreach, etc. I don't say this as a slight to them- we have just fought so hard for certain rights over the years that this has been on the back burner for some time. You're not alone in being the only Pre-Pod around. Most classmates of mine have similar stories. Most prospective Pod students, unfortunately, have to stumble into Podiatry without the help of a University advisor- I have a serendipitous story of how I found it but it was only after I finished Undergrad. You're right- many pre-meds don't know Podiatry from Pediatrics.
The APMA recognizes this and are actively seeking means to reach more undergrads and drive applications up, kudos to them. I think this year will be an anomaly rather than the start of a downward trend. But to the other point of MCAT scores, generally- less competition for spots, the less freedom schools have to only select the highest scoring applicants. They are a business too, after all. Those seats have to get filled so everyone can sit at the table and eat.
2) Point #1 combined with the emerging Popularity/Demand/Respect of other health related fields. PA, OT, PT, and all the advanced nursing fields (CRNA, APRN, DNP, Midwife). They make a comparable salary to us, and in terms of intermediate range Return On Investment, they are the more fiscally sensible choice (long term though, DPM is still more lucrative, fiscally speaking.) The main difference is the earning ceiling- Pods have an almost unlimited earning capacity considering the possibility to partner in groups or start their own (see the illustrious career of @diabeticfootdr ). Any of the other above mention fields would not have those same opportunities (except OT or PT which could conceivably start their own rehab clinics).

Reactions: 1 user
what does that mean?

what does that mean?
There are 17% less total applications sent in at this moment than there were last cycle at the same time. Based on this data, it can be hypothesized that the average matriculant MCAT will be lower this year than the previous, due to less applicants to choose from.

Reactions: 1 users