• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Firza

10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi everybody, i'm a medical student from holland. Next week i start my medicine rotation and i can't decide wether to buy davidson's or kumar and clark. does anybody know the difference between those 2 books or anybody has any experience with them? I already bought oxford handbook of clinical medicine for when on the wards. I just need a good textbook for at home.

Thanx!

medgirl20

10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I love my Kumar and Clarke it has everything I've ever needed.

applemas

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2006
Malaysia
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I love Kumar and Clark too. But, i think Harisson is better choice than Kumar& Clark and Davidson

About the Ads

medgirl20

10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Kumar and Clarke is more European though so the epidemiology etc is more relevant. I find it easier to read aswell because I tend to get annoyed at American spelling.

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
For European/Brit medicine, choose Kumar and Clark, the information's easier to grasp as well,and I would assume that you would have to get this book called Oxford's Clinical Medicine, read it cover to cover. But for more thorough information, choose Harrison's. If money's not a problem, get both.

I'm annnoyed at Brit spelling..why oedema instead of edema?+pissed+

Firza

10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I recently bought Davidson's, I heard it covers the pathofysiology more in depth. Keep my fingers crossed :D

Purifyer

Dr. Funk
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2001
Status (Visible)
I have both, bought kumar and clarke initially then went for davidson's in my final year. I forget why I liked davidson's more... maybe it approached disease from a more clinical/decision making perspective.

Advising a medical student to skip kumar or davidsons and go for harrison's is lol material.

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
the language you speak is called ENGLISH:) spelling "edema" with an "O" is your heritage:laugh:

I'm Asian btw;)
Those Brits colonized my country and left me with an extra alphabet:laugh:

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
A little off topic, but have any of you guys used the "Crash Course" series of books? I just picked up the General Medicine, and it looks pretty good. I only realized it was British when they started talking about the oesophagus, etc.

Any opinions, or others in the series you'd recommend?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.