DC programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Global Disrobal

Along for the ride
Moderator Emeritus
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Gang,

Sorry about the long absence, especially to those of you that PM'd me. I had a long stretch of OB mixed with shadowing the newbies, hence my internet time disappeared accordingly. At any rate, I decided to include this in a new thread so that all interested parties could see it and also contribute.

I am currently at the Washington Hospital Center, work side by side with the Georgetown residents (they rotate through our hospital as we are both under the same company and in many ways are becoming affiliated), and have also rotated as a medical student in the area. Here is my take on each program, and please feel free to add, criticize, etc. as you see necessary:

Washington Hospital Center: Its the largest and busiest hospital in the region. We are heavy in both OB and GYN. Pros are the teaching, numbers, experience, gyn experience starting w/first year including heavy laprascopic load, and support. Cons are that its a community program w/o the big names, virtual absence of REI, low vag hyst numbers, busy schedule and high numbers including a level 1 trauma w/ a busy ER meaning lots of consults. To give you an insight into numbers, my first year here I finished w/over 200 vag del, 100 C/S (as primary surgeon), and lots of tubals, couple of hysterectomies, etc.

Georgetown: Fantastic group of residents ( I still haven't met one w/a bad attitude). They mostly get their GYN and Clinic experience from Virginia Hosp Ctr in Arlington, OB from rotating with us in 2nd/3rd year, and REI/MFM at Georgetown. From my experience, they are well read, great all around, but do lack a little in GYN experience. According to friends that are there, Virginia Hosp Ctr is a remarkable experience with the bulk involving GYN and running their L&D board. They do get great teaching as well since they have a good MFM/REI faculty.

George Washington University: They rotate through Fairfax, Holy Cross, and GW Hospital. Like Georgetown their home hospital is small w/low vol and hence the experience comes from the support institutions. Based on their resident's experiences, they enjoy Fairfax the most (its a high volume OB hospital). I don't know much more about them, but every grad from that program that I have met has appeared confident and knew what they were doing.

Howard: Gets a bad rap from their students and whomever is affiliated with them. I don;t much about them, but if you are thinking of them, then you may want to do some good research on the place.

Hope this helps you guys out. I did interview at Hopkins and Maryland, but my experinece is limited to that, hence I think that its better that somewhat who is more familiar speaks about them.

If you guys end up interviewing with us, give me a heads up so that I can at least say Hello :) Good luck with the interviews and happy trails.

GD

Members don't see this ad.

Global,

THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT SUMMARY-- that was very informative!!

snow