DC Superior Court Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProfessionalStudent5

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really on the fence about applying to this site. I keep hearing awful things about admin turnover and being used as a workhorse to complete reports. Can anyone provide any guidance about the site? I'm fine with a message if you're not comfortable putting it on the message board.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really on the fence about applying to this site. I keep hearing awful things about admin turnover and being used as a workhorse to complete reports. Can anyone provide any guidance about the site? I'm fine with a message if you're not comfortable putting it on the message board.
I interviewed there for internship.. The intern I spoke with seemed unhappy. You will work maybe 60 hrs a week. Tons of assessment

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

I was also looking at this site and would appreciate input! Also, that's a lot of hours per week...

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds like a sweatshop. Internship is supposed to be about rounding out your training...not cranking out work. Working 60hr/wk for $25k-$30k (or whatever pittance internships pay these days).

That sounds like a sweatshop. Internship is supposed to be about rounding out your training...not cranking out work. Working 60hr/wk for $25k-$30k (or whatever pittance internships pay these days).
I remember interviewing at big name AMC and research institutions and was constantly told to expect 60-80 hour weeks for the year. What a joke. No thanks.

I interviewed there for internship.. The intern I spoke with seemed unhappy. You will work maybe 60 hrs a week. Tons of assessment

Meh. Lots of internships unofficially require 55-60 hours a week (factoring in writing time for notes and assessments). Some of this depends as much on your efficiency as anything else, so what might be 45 hours for one person is 60 for another. The red flag for me would be the "unhappy" intern. Yikes.

Consider sending your DCT an email. He/She likely has a list of where the graduates from your program have gone for internship or even interviewed. Another alum from your program familiar with the site will probably be a great source of information!

Meh. Lots of internships unofficially require 55-60 hours a week (factoring in writing time for notes and assessments). Some of this depends as much on your efficiency as anything else, so what might be 45 hours for one person is 60 for another. The red flag for me would be the "unhappy" intern. Yikes.

Consider sending your DCT an email. He/She likely has a list of where the graduates from your program have gone for internship or even interviewed. Another alum from your program familiar with the site will probably be a great source of information!
The intern said the site didn't value self care and that if she could rank differently (knowing then what she did now) she would have; she said she would have ranked them second. The way the site works is there is an assessment every week. These are not short assessments, they are full batteries and usually the reports are about 15-20 pages. That being said, I do like the population they work with and if you are interested in juvenile forensic assessments and willing to basically do nothing but that for a year, then this is your site.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
The intern said the site didn't value self care and that if she could rank differently (knowing then what she did now) she would have; she said she would have ranked them second. The way the site works is there is an assessment every week. These are not short assessments, they are full batteries and usually the reports are about 15-20 pages. That being said, I do like the population they work with and if you are interested in juvenile forensic assessments and willing to basically do nothing but that for a year, then this is your site.

Actually, now that I'm thinking back to that interview, I did not like how vague the psychologists were when I asked how many hours a week I could expect to work. I feel like that I a reasonable question and they would not give me an answer. Also, I flew all the way there and the interview was 40min. You meet with all the psychologists at once and then you meet with one intern. Then the interview is over.

Actually, now that I'm thinking back to that interview, I did not like how vague the psychologists were when I asked how many hours a week I could expect to work. I feel like that I a reasonable question and they would not give me an answer. Also, I flew all the way there and the interview was 40min. You meet with all the psychologists at once and then you meet with one intern. Then the interview is over.

Sent from my SM-G950U

Wow. That’s awful. I decided not to apply. Thanks for all the insight.