All Branch Topic (ABT) DD 214 for USUHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neogenesis

Certifiable
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently completed my USU payback. On my DD214 it does not include any time at USU. Has anyone had their ISU time included in their separation DD214 or received a separate DD214 for their 4 years at USU?

Members don't see this ad.

Recently completed my USU payback. On my DD214 it does not include any time at USU. Has anyone had their ISU time included in their separation DD214 or received a separate DD214 for their 4 years at USU?
For HPSP, no time is recorded on the DD-214 for the reserve period under the scholarship. If the DOD has the same policy for USUHS, and school time is not treated as active duty (even though you are subject to the UCMJ, have to wear a uniform, etc.) then that sounds about right. USUHS gets added to the back end for retirement pay calculation, but does not count toward the first 20 years required service to receive a retirement, nor does it count for time in grade.

For HPSP, no time is recorded on the DD-214 for the reserve period under the scholarship.
True, but HPSP time can count to your 20. If you are in a critical wartime specialty and go into the reserves after your AD is up, you get reserve credit (50 pts) for a good year for each year you do in the reserves that is reflected on your DA5016.

For example
Med student 4 year HPSP, does general surgery residency at MEDCEN, does 4 year ADSO and ETS.
He will have 9 years AD time.
Goes into the reserves. Serves 4 years. Army picks up HPSP time and his DA5016 will show 17 good years toward a reserve retirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Per the neat notarized certificate you can get from off the USUHS alumni web site:

"This is to certify that <insert rank, name, corps, branch of service>, served on active duty as a medical student officer (O-1, <USA, USN, USAF, USPHS>) at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USU) from <matriculation date>(initial USU active duty date) to <graduation date>(USU graduation date. This period of active duty service is not creditable in determining eligibility for retirement or longevity for pay. [See § 2114(c) & § 2126, title10, U. S. Code.] It is, however, fully creditable active duty service in computing retired pay. [See § 2114(b)(1) of title 10, § 212 of title 42, and the attached OASD (FMP) memorandum dated 1 July 2002.]

With the above notarized certificate in hand, on my retirement DD214 in the remarks section, I had them include this statement: BLOCK 12 C DOES NOT INCLUDE ACTIVE DUTY SERVICE IN THE UNIFORMED SERVICES UNIVERSITY OF THE HEALTH SCIENCES (USUHS) YYYYMMDD (matriculation) - YYYYMMDD (graduation).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I just picked up my DD214 today. I did 21 years after I graduated USUHS. My DD214 didn't show anywhere my 4 years at USUHS. So, I'm not clear on this. Is it correct that it is not reflected on the DD214?

Counting USUHS years, I have a bit over 25 years active duty. My orders state this for basic pay (that I have 25 years). But I always thought the DD214 was this important document that should reflect everything active duty.

Will this screw up my retirement pay?

Per the neat notarized certificate you can get from off the USUHS alumni web site... [...]
Wow, I didn't know this was available from USUHS. That's great to hear.

I requested one of these certificates that you mentioned in your post, just now from the USUHS website.

For any other USUHS grads that are interested, here is the website (scroll to the bottom of the webpage, where you will see a link that you can click on which is entitled "USU Certificate of Time on Active Duty as a medical student officer"):

Thanks again, denali!

Reactions: 1 user
I just picked up my DD214 today. I did 21 years after I graduated USUHS. My DD214 didn't show anywhere my 4 years at USUHS. So, I'm not clear on this. Is it correct that it is not reflected on the DD214?

Counting USUHS years, I have a bit over 25 years active duty. My orders state this for basic pay (that I have 25 years). But I always thought the DD214 was this important document that should reflect everything active duty.

Will this screw up my retirement pay?

I'd definitely look into it. You could be leaving money on the table

Better start the paperwork with The Board of Correction.