Dds/dmd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studylikemad

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know they are the same thing but at which colleges go you graduate with what degree? Is a DMD or DDS more prevalent? I know that at Iowa it is a DDS, IL. at Chicago-DDS, Southern IL.-DMD

Members don't see this ad.

what's DMD???? :laugh:

They are both the same thing? I was under the impression that DDS gives you the right to do surgical procedures while DMD is more a practice of medicine.

;)

DMD is given to graduates of:
UConn
Nova
UFCD
MCG
SIU
UKentucky
Louisville
3 schools in Boston (BU, Tufts, Harvard)
UMississippi
UMDNJ
Case Western
Oregon Health Science U.
Temple
Penn
Pitt
South Carolina

All others are DDS granting institutions. I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rezdawg said:
They are both the same thing? I was under the impression that DDS gives you the right to do surgical procedures while DMD is more a practice of medicine.

;)

DMD is given to graduates of:
UConn
Nova
UFCD
MCG
SIU
UKentucky
Louisville
3 schools in Boston (BU, Tufts, Harvard)
UMississippi
UMDNJ
Case Western
Oregon Health Science U.
Temple
Penn
Pitt
South Carolina

All others are DDS granting institutions. I think.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

They are the same.

I for one like the DDS initials as S stands for Surgery and that be cool in my book.

Rezdawg said:
They are both the same thing? I was under the impression that DDS gives you the right to do surgical procedures while DMD is more a practice of medicine.{/QUOTE]

They are merely two ways to describe the same thing - same training, same board exams, etc. It seems to me that DDS is more prevalent than DMD.

Sprgrover said:
They are merely two ways to describe the same thing - same training, same board exams, etc. It seems to me that DDS is more prevalent than DMD.

Haha, dawg, I know...thats why I did one of these ;) after my post.

:D