DDS OR RESIDANCY !!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HMQ

Reaction score
Hello doctors
I'm foreign trained dentist
GPA: 2.53 ECE
INBDE: PASS
TOEFL : 95
GRE: V= 140 Q=140
ADAT: 400
NO WORK EXPERINCE
doing research and publishing
i intend to do shadowing in the US in Januray and February 2024
NO GREEN CARD NOT CETIZEN ( NEED VISA )
NO CO-SIGNER
My purpose is to have a degree in either Orthodontics or Prosthodontics then work in the US and gain citizenship .
What are my options ??

1-DDS ? OR competition for residency ?
2- what is my percentage for accepting from the first attempt for any of them ?
3-what is the best way to take loans in my situation after i got accepted ?? Prodigy , discover , or what else ??
4- FLORIDA , NEWYORK , Massachusetts IS SUITABLE FOR MY SITUATION ?? OR IHAVE TO CONSIDER OTHER STATES ?? ( PLEASE NAME IT )
please help and guide me

Members don't see this ad.

My purpose is to have a degree in either Orthodontics or Prosthodontics then work in the US and gain citizenship . --> These programs are competitive, most folks have already done a masters in home country before applying as there is usually 1-2 seats for the specialities.

What are my options ??

1-DDS ? OR competition for residency ? I would try DDS, but you need to show off your research you mentioned in your application. It's ok not to have clinical, but you will need some.
2- what is my percentage for accepting from the first attempt for any of them ? Getting first attempt on iNBDE helps significantly, but you need a higher GPA and maybe a masters with a higher GPA would help that story or provide why it's low. Most universities have a minimum of 3.0.
GPA: 2.53 ECE - 3.0 is the min for most programs
INBDE: PASS - This is a major plus
TOEFL : 95 - Try again and shoot for at least 100
GRE: V= 140 Q=140 - Try to attempt again to get a better score
ADAT: 400 - you need at least a 550 or above for impact

3-what is the best way to take loans in my situation after i got accepted ?? Prodigy , discover , or what else ?? Try them all and see what the rates are. They will be significantly higher without a co-signer. Unless you can show income the rates will be pretty high.
4- FLORIDA , NEWYORK , Massachusetts IS SUITABLE FOR MY SITUATION ?? OR IHAVE TO CONSIDER OTHER STATES ?? ( PLEASE NAME IT )
please help and guide me
In Florida you could do hygienist (only state that allows this), but they also have undergrad requirements on education and then you sit for 3 exams to get a license.
New York, you can practice after 2 years of practicing in Florida as a hygienst (not a dentist, and only with FL they have an agreement)
In Massachusetts, this is extremely difficult to get licensure with the 3 years, most 15 year veterans in dentistry can not get a license.

I don't want to sound discouraging, but you need to show how you improved and your passion for dentistry. You can do it, but there needs to be some more effort on improving your profile. What you have is not competitive (again don't want to sound mean, but from an admissions person you have to stand out in a good way)

Reactions: 1 user
My purpose is to have a degree in either Orthodontics or Prosthodontics then work in the US and gain citizenship . --> These programs are competitive, most folks have already done a masters in home country before applying as there is usually 1-2 seats for the specialities.

What are my options ??

1-DDS ? OR competition for residency ? I would try DDS, but you need to show off your research you mentioned in your application. It's ok not to have clinical, but you will need some. DDS :thumbup:
2- what is my percentage for accepting from the first attempt for any of them ? Getting first attempt on iNBDE helps significantly, but you need a higher GPA and maybe a masters with a higher GPA would help that story or provide why it's low. Most universities have a minimum of 3.0.
GPA: 2.53 ECE - 3.0 is the min for most programs .So i have to take master degree with higher GPA +3.0 ( what type of master i can do ?? is MBA acceptable ?? or somthing health realated only ?? ive heard that Rutgers UNI can guarantee me an interviwe if i take master degree in dental material or patholgy with high GPA ?? IST IT CORRECT ?? and there is any other uni can do the same ?? also master degree from my home country regarded or best to take US Master degree ??
TOEFL : 95 - Try again and shoot for at least 100 :thumbup:
GRE: V= 140 Q=140 - Try to attempt again to get a better score what is better score 150?? or higher ?
ADAT: 400 - you need at least a 550 or above for impact :thumbup:

3-what is the best way to take loans in my situation after i got accepted ?? Prodigy , discover , or what else ?? Try them all and see what the rates are. They will be significantly higher without a co-signer. Unless you can show income the rates will be pretty high. i know it will be high :cryi: but there is no other solution .. can you name other financing ??
please help and guide me
In Florida you could do hygienist (only state that allows this), but they also have undergrad requirements on education and then you sit for 3 exams to get a license. that was my choice at first until i knew that i must have green card to work and license :cryi::cryi:
New York, you can practice after 2 years of practicing in Florida as a hygienst (not a dentist, and only with FL they have an agreement)
In Massachusetts, this is extremely difficult to get licensure with the 3 years, most 15 year veterans in dentistry can not get a license. :oops:
OMG you told me that in some point i can not have a license after i get dds or completing residancy ?? if that possible how can i pay off my loan ?? or i get this point wrong ? :unsure:im confused

I don't want to sound discouraging, but you need to show how you improved and your passion for dentistry. You can do it, but there needs to be some more effort on improving your profile. What you have is not competitive (again don't want to sound mean, but from an admissions person you have to stand out in a good way) i know dr thank you for evrey single word and info you write it here ,, you helped me so much and im still encouraged dont worry and i hope i will success

GPA: 2.53 ECE - 3.0 is the min for most programs .So i have to take master degree with higher GPA +3.0 ( what type of master i can do ?? is MBA acceptable ?? or somthing health realated only ?? ive heard that Rutgers UNI can guarantee me an interviwe if i take master degree in dental material or patholgy with high GPA ?? IST IT CORRECT ?? and there is any other uni can do the same ?? also master degree from my home country regarded or best to take US Master degree ??

I would do a healthcare related master's, but an MBA can count too depending on what you do with the MBA. Again it's how you craft your personal statement. Some people might say I want to not only practice dentistry, but have a good business background because I want to travel and be able to work in dental sales while knowing the dental clinical side. (so it's how you tell your story). Doing a US master's degree has more power since it's a different education system. however, if you are going speciality, then it would show you are dedicated to one specific field in dentistry.

As for universities in US, no one can guarantee interviews, it's thousands of people applying and only 5-100 seats depending on the college. Having a master, is just shows you are open to advancing your theoretical knowledge.

TOEFL : 95 - Try again and shoot for at least 100 :thumbup:
GRE: V= 140 Q=140 - Try to attempt again to get a better score what is better score 150?? or higher ?
ADAT: 400 - you need at least a 550 or above for impact :thumbup:
Overall, 318 is what is needed, but GRE is not required for DDS residency programs, only masters degrees.

3-what is the best way to take loans in my situation after i got accepted ?? Prodigy , discover , or what else ?? Try them all and see what the rates are. They will be significantly higher without a co-signer. Unless you can show income the rates will be pretty high. i know it will be high :cryi: but there is no other solution .. can you name other financing ??
Join the FB groups for CAAPID, there are folks on there with other areas to look. I know someone mentioned SoFI or crowd funding.

In Massachusetts, this is extremely difficult to get licensure with the 3 years, most 15 year veterans in dentistry can not get a license. :oops: OMG you told me that in some point i can not have a license after i get dds or completing residancy ?? if that possible how can i pay off my loan ?? or i get this point wrong ? :unsure:im confused

This is only for international dentists that don't want to do a residency program. MA and Minnesota have unique situtations. So Massachusetts, you are allowed to work under a dentist in a limited capacity (but it's hard to get a job this way). Minnesota, allows for dentist with significant experience to work and appear for boards after 3 years for a license with no provisions.
Again if you do a full residency these rules do not apply.