DDS/Ph.D. Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Barbie DDS

Barbie DDS
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested in teaching Denistry through completing a combined program. It takes about 7 years to complete, but the outcome is worth it, because dental academia will be in high demand soon. If your'e like me and preparing for this program in undergraduate school please respond.

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested... But Im not sure if I want to add three more years of school. I love being a student, but I also want to get out there and work. I will see what my life circumstances in D2 to see whether it something I want to do or not.

I think definitely it is a cool option. I personally, would like to do a phD in infectious disease or epi.

I would like to do the combined degree with research emphasis in myogenesis, specifically the manipulation of IGF-1 to induce a growth response. :thumbup:

But seeing as how this isnt really dental related, i dont know if they would permit me to do so..

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll probably apply for the program at UMaryland in a couple years (the 3 extra years are between D2 and D3 there) - anyone have any info on how competetive it is? If I get into that program then they pay for 5 of the 7 years + a living stipend so it seems a little more appealing in that aspect. I'm not sure what I want to do when I grow up but I've always enjoyed teaching so I'm keeping that option open.

Also be insterested in this program, anybody knows any other schools have this program?
The only reason for me to this program is to save money.
Although it seems this is not popular in Dental school, but many medical schools have this program, and students can get tuition paid.

I know for sure Buffalo, UConn, Maryland offer the combined program but I think you'd better be academic-oriented to go for the program.

Wait a minute, "the outcome is worth it, because dental academia will be in high demand soon." That's why you're interested in teaching? In the long run, you make less money than in private practice, due to researching (why you get the PhD) for long hours at an academic salary that is far less than private practice. Why else do you think schools cover tuition and give students a stipend? Read the MSTP forum; it's a long ride that should only be pursued for the love of basic science.

Anyway, lots of schools have them; Michigan, UCSF, etc. And you may not even need the PhD to pursue dental research/teaching, anyway. Many in academia now don't have one. I am interested, but I need far more good research experience than what I have before I even consider applying for it several years down the line.

sidewalkman said:
Wait a minute, "the outcome is worth it, because dental academia will be in high demand soon." That's why you're interested in teaching? In the long run, you make less money than in private practice, due to researching (why you get the PhD) for long hours at an academic salary that is far less than private practice. Why else do you think schools cover tuition and give students a stipend? Read the MSTP forum; it's a long ride that should only be pursued for the love of basic science.

Anyway, lots of schools have them; Michigan, UCSF, etc. And you may not even need the PhD to pursue dental research/teaching, anyway. Many in academia now don't have one. I am interested, but I need far more good research experience than what I have before I even consider applying for it several years down the line.
You also recive full medical benefits and you don't have to worry about overhead cost, equipment cost and upkeep, also if you're a published scientist which is basically doing your job , you recieve government grants from NIH along with your salary. I beg to differ with the money issue maybe the Dentist not making enough money aren't coming up with cutting edge science hypothesis, which is what I plan to do as well as teach. Bottom line there is money to be made and less hassle with business dentistry.

Barbie DDS said:
I beg to differ with the money issue maybe the Dentist not making enough money aren't coming up with cutting edge science hypothesis, which is what I plan to do as well as teach.
you're so money baby