DDS/PhD dual degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

briggsinator2

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Question: do you know of DDS\PhD programs offered with the PhD in a subject other than oral biology? I know of MD/PhD programs in physiology, microbiology, etc, and wonder if similar programs exist in the dental world. I haven't seen any, but would be very interested in applying to one as I have very much enjoyed my research journeys so far but also want to continue pursuing dentistry. Thanks!

Cheers,
JB

Members don't see this ad.

When you enroll in a DDS/PhD program you obtain your degree in Oral Biology, however the area of research you pursue is variable. I don't believe you can enroll in a topic-specific PhD program that isn't designated as Oral Biology, however you may pursue topics that are offered among the faculty that represent that program. These vary anywhere from micro, development, materials science to clinical-research options as well such as epidemiological studies or public health outreach. If you choose to apply, make sure you do your research beforehand and be certain you can choose between 3-5 faculty members of a dual program's department whose research topics interest you enough to pursue a lab rotation with them.

I'll be applying to dual programs next summer and am very familiar with most programs in the states. Let me know if I can answer any questions, I enjoy helping out other aspiring dental-scientists!

Reactions: 1 user
When you enroll in a DDS/PhD program you obtain your degree in Oral Biology, however the area of research you pursue is variable. I don't believe you can enroll in a topic-specific PhD program that isn't designated as Oral Biology, however you may pursue topics that are offered among the faculty that represent that program. These vary anywhere from micro, development, materials science to clinical-research options as well such as epidemiological studies or public health outreach. If you choose to apply, make sure you do your research beforehand and be certain you can choose between 3-5 faculty members of a dual program's department whose research topics interest you enough to pursue a lab rotation with them.

I'll be applying to dual programs next summer and am very familiar with most programs in the states. Let me know if I can answer any questions, I enjoy helping out other aspiring dental-scientists!

Wow! Thanks so much! So one can technically study, for example, developmental biology under the program title of oral biology?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! Thanks so much! So one can technically study, for example, developmental biology under the program title of oral biology?
Exactly.. I would highly suggest reaching out to @a2ndragoon89, he's a huge advocate of DDS/PhD and represents Michigan's program very well-he's your goto man!