DDS vs DMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misyel

PGY-0
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the ignorant post, but I'm just too lazy to search SDN...

What's the difference between DDS and DMD?

Members don't see this ad.

The two are equivalent degrees. Take 5 seconds to do a search and you'll get more info. This topic has been discussed on these boards a hundred times.

Members don't see this ad :)
DDS has two D's followed by an S, while DMD has two D's but throws an M in between and has no S. This is the main difference.

DMDs are dumber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No really its pretty much just two different letters after a dentists name, one doesn't do anything different than the other etc... I am going toward the DDS though, it just has the word surgeon in it, so I figured heck people will think I am smart if I have the word surgeon in my name!!!!!

But DMD has MD in it. Everyone knows MDs are geniuses. And the extra D can only mean a DMD is smarter than a MD.

c132 said:
DMDs are dumber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No really its pretty much just two different letters after a dentists name, one doesn't do anything different than the other etc... I am going toward the DDS though, it just has the word surgeon in it, so I figured heck people will think I am smart if I have the word surgeon in my name!!!!!

I cannot begin explaining how sad that is......

I read somewhere that it just depends on what degree the particular dental school decides it will use.

Dr.BadVibes said:
I cannot begin explaining how sad that is......
What?????? :D

DMD = Didn't Make Doctor :eek: ;)

DDS = Didn't Do Sh^& :wow: ;)

Ultimately it doesn't make 1 bit of difference what degree your school confers because they're 110% equivalent in your scope of practice.

I did however find it interesting that case though was going to switch from awarding a DDS to awarding a DMD due to the change in their focus and support from their alums :confused:

DrJeff said:
DMD = Didn't Make Doctor :eek: ;)

DDS = Didn't Do Sh^& :wow: ;)

QUOTE]

Words of the wise! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
YEAH tell me about it. My school keeps friggin saying put 110% in and you will pass for sure, I am like well I will put 11 or 10% in and try and squeeze by!

DDS= Doctor of Dental Surgery
DMD=Doctor of Dental Medicine. The latter was created to emphasize the marriage between medicine and dentistry...to show that dentistry is a specialty of medicine, niot a separate entity.

EHA DDS said:
DDS= Doctor of Dental Surgery
DMD=Doctor of Dental Medicine. The latter was created to emphasize the marriage between medicine and dentistry...to show that dentistry is a specialty of medicine, niot a separate entity.

Nope

The only real difference is that DMD is latin and DDS is not. You could thank harvard for this issue. Harvard only grants degrees in latin and when thet opened a dental school long long ago they needed a latin title and since DDS is not latin they came up with DMD

Thats it!

Brocnizer2007 said:
Nope

The only real difference is that DMD is latin and DDS is not. You could thank harvard for this issue. Harvard only grants degrees in latin and when thet opened a dental school long long ago they needed a latin title and since DDS is not latin they came up with DMD

Thats it!

I read the same thing a little while ago.

Brocnizer2007 said:
Nope

Thats it!

I doubt it, but if you are right I will buy you a coffee when I get to NYUCD this August

EHA DDS
NYUCD 2008

UNLV OMS WANABE said:
Is this mathmatically possible? Nothing personal Jeff but I'm so tired of "110%"

I'd don't know, since based on my degree, I didn't make doctor, so I guess that I'm not smart enough to realize ;) :rolleyes:

Plus, if you're a true OMFS wannabe, you better realize that all of your future attendings and residents (especially during your intern year) will expect ATLEAST 110% of you. :eek:

EHA DDS said:
I doubt it, but if you are right I will buy you a coffee when I get to NYUCD this August

EHA DDS
NYUCD 2008

Looks like you owe him some coffee. Broc is absolutely right.

DrJeff said:
I'd don't know, since based on my degree, I didn't make doctor, so I guess that I'm not smart enough to realize ;) :rolleyes:

Plus, if you're a true OMFS wannabe, you better realize that all of your future attendings and residents (especially during your intern year) will expect ATLEAST 110% of you. :eek:

I guess I will fail misearably then :laugh:

Bickle said:
Looks like you owe him some coffee. Broc is absolutely right.

I emailed the question to the director of education and training at ADSA back in May and he confirmed what I said.

I take it with 3 sugars and lots of milk.

I thought it was that certain States grant DMD or DDS. Like in Phili, Boston, Florida all have DMD's and places like NY, Cali, Ohio have DDS's. Personally I like the DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery)....cuz we surgeons! :D

EHA DDS said:
I emailed the question to the director of education and training at ADSA back in May and he confirmed what I said.

I take it with 3 sugars and lots of milk.

Interesting. Because this is straight from the ADA.

1867?The Harvard University Dental School, the first university-affiliated dental institution, is founded. The school calls its degree the Dentariae Medicinae Doctorae (DMD), creating a continuing semantic controversy (DDS vs. DMD).

http://www.ada.org/public/topics/history/timeline_19cent.asp

Dentin068 said:
I thought it was that certain States grant DMD or DDS. Like in Phili, Boston, Florida all have DMD's and places like NY, Cali, Ohio have DDS's. Personally I like the DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery)....cuz we surgeons! :D

Yes it kind of works like that...but in New York State there is DDS (NYUCD) and DMD (Buffalo). DDS is the traditional degree and sound cool too!

You are attending NYUCD...me too....where are you living?

I believe there have been some arguments that DMD's may bring in more patients (and dentally-terrified ones) simply because of the MD in their title. Patients feel they will recieve "better care" because they are seeing MD- dentists. There is a financial argument here.

dental44 said:
I believe there have been some arguments that DMD's may bring in more patients (and dentally-terrified ones) simply because of the MD in their title. Patients feel they will recieve "better care" because they are seeing MD- dentists. There is a financial argument here.

Are you serious? I didn't think most patients know what degree their dentists have. I think the fact they are called Dr. is enough to put them at ease. They should do stats on the incomes of DMD vs. DDS...never thought it made a difference.

EHA DDS said:

EHA DDS
NYUCD 2008

He IS right. Better pay up! :D From the FAQ posted at the top of the Dental forum:

"Ancient medicine was divided into two groups:

1. the surgery group that dealt with treating diseases and injuries using instruments; and

2. the medicine group that dealt with healing diseases using internal remedies. Originally there was only the D.D.S. degree which stands for Doctor of Dental Surgery.

This all changed in 1867 when Harvard University added a dental school. Harvard University only grants degrees in Latin. Harvard did not adopt the D.D.S. or "Doctor of Dental Surgery" degree because the Latin translation was "Chirurgae Dentium Doctoris" or C.D.D. The people at Harvard thought that C.D.D. was cumbersome. A Latin scholar was consulted. The scholar suggested the ancient "Medicinae Doctor" be prefixed with "Dentariae". This is how the D.M.D. or "Dentariae Medicinae Doctor" degree was started. (Congratulations! Now you probably know more Latin than most dentists!)..."

EHA DDS said:
Yes it kind of works like that...but in New York State there is DDS (NYUCD) and DMD (Buffalo). DDS is the traditional degree and sound cool too!

You are attending NYUCD...me too....where are you living?

Buffalo is DDS ;)

EHA DDS said:
Yes it kind of works like that...but in New York State there is DDS (NYUCD) and DMD (Buffalo).

I earned my DDS from Buffalo in May 2004.

It is entirely upto the school as to which degree they give. Look at Case - they are switching to DMD after giving out DDS for decades.

Isn't this question in the FAQ? If not, it should be in the pre-dent and dental ones.