DDS vs. DMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meacham

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between the two degrees? Are they dissimilar like MD and DO? Does one carry privileges that the other doesn't?

Gracias, and See you later

Members don't see this ad.

They are the same thing. Just stand for different things. They used to be different but now are the same thing. Nothing like MD's and DO's. So don't worry what has a better reputation.

DesiDentist

It is merely a historical difference as to which school awards which degree. They are exactly the same degree and obtaining either a DMD or DDS allows the exact same priveleges upon graduation.

From what I understand, MD has a different philosophy than DO, even though they end up doing similar things upon graduation (but take different exams to get there USMLE vs COMLEX). Not the case with DDS/DMD. Both take the same exams for graduation and licensing - it only depends on which school you attend and which degree they award. So in response to your question - no, they are not dissimilar and one does not carry priveleges the other doesn't.

Members don't see this ad :)
To quote BU's head of admissions, "There isn't one" (boy did i feel like a chump when i got that response to my question during the interview)

DMD = Doctor of Medical Dentistry (i think) and is primarily used by eastern schools...

DDS - Doctor of Dental Surgeory and is used by everyone else - however I think the general public recognizes DDS as the dental postscript to a name, but most people don't really pay attention anyway (case and point, my mother thought the "DO" after her OB/GYN's name meant that she had more specialized training than the MD's in the clinic, not that she was a different kind of doctor - case and point: your patients won't notice your degree, unless they're medical education gurus)

just curious: is arizona going to give the DDS or the dmd degree??

DMD = Dental Medical Doctor

Check out this page:

<a href="http://groups.msn.com/NSUCDMClassof2006/novapredentcorner.msnw" target="_blank">http://groups.msn.com/NSUCDMClassof2006/novapredentcorner.msnw</a>