DEA change of address processing error.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananas85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background. I am a locums physician. My Locums company usually changes my DEA based on my work assignment, however both I and the company missed changing the state for an upcoming assigment in a new state.

Usually it only takes a day or two, however due to the holidays, this maybe delayed. If my DEA is not switched over in time, can I still work my shifts, and have a colleague write for controlled substances, if indicated? It is inpatient work, so I do expect atleast a few percent of patients needing narcotics. I will only be doing admissions (swing shift).

The locums rep also mentioned that in the past, when this happened, they have asked the client hospital if they have an "extra DEA" that I can work under or "use" until mine gets transferred. I didnt understand this? Do you know what that means, and if it will be safe?

Members don't see this ad.

They may have an institutional dea that is used for residents/fellows and may be able to put you under that...bit as gutonc mentioned, only the hospital med staff office will be able to answer that.