DEA numbers for different states

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mad Dog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Pharms!

Hope you can help me with this question.

I just spent several thousand dollars to get licensure in two states so I can moonlight (I'm a resident). This included getting a DEA license. Don't ask me WHY I looked into this, but I've just found that if you practice in two separate states you are actually supposed to get two separate DEA licenses! This is driving me crazy. Its an extra $390 every few years, and I'm wondering if its really necessary.

Basically I'm working solely in one hospital in the second state. I take in-house call, put out any fires overnight, and thats about it. I may order a narcotic for someone in the middle of the night, but don't ever discharge anyone or write scripts that get filled outside the hospital. Does it matter that I only have one DEA number? The hospital pharmacist in this second state has my DEA on file of course and hasn't made any bones about it. Is this going to catch up with me somehow?

I know if you are doing locums in a second state you do not have to get a second DEA number, so it seems the rules are not so rigid.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Pharms!

Hope you can help me with this question.

I just spent several thousand dollars to get licensure in two states so I can moonlight (I'm a resident). This included getting a DEA license. Don't ask me WHY I looked into this, but I've just found that if you practice in two separate states you are actually supposed to get two separate DEA licenses! This is driving me crazy. Its an extra $390 every few years, and I'm wondering if its really necessary.

Basically I'm working solely in one hospital in the second state. I take in-house call, put out any fires overnight, and thats about it. I may order a narcotic for someone in the middle of the night, but don't ever discharge anyone or write scripts that get filled outside the hospital. Does it matter that I only have one DEA number? The hospital pharmacist in this second state has my DEA on file of course and hasn't made any bones about it. Is this going to catch up with me somehow?

I know if you are doing locums in a second state you do not have to get a second DEA number, so it seems the rules are not so rigid.

No - somehow you got some misinformation. Your DEA # is issued once only (unless its revoked - don't want to go there!). It doesn't matter what state it originates in - it comes from the Dept of Justice & will work in any state. Its a unique number & is strictly your own.

However, you must have state licensure in each state. That may be where you are accumulating money. State licensing patterns vary widely depending on your practice specialty (FM/anesthesia or provider status - DVM vs PharmD for instance....) so there is no uniformity.

But...your DEA # is yours for a lifetime & doesn't change even if your name changes and there is great uniformity!

You don't have to apply for a new # since it is a federally granted privilege.

Good luck!