deadline for making a decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Watson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If we're holding more than one MSTP acceptance, do we have to decide by April 15th or May 15th? I suspect it's the latter, but I just want to confirm.

Members don't see this ad.

May 15th; but earlier you make up your mind, the faster you help those who are waitlisted/not-funded/etc

If we're holding more than one MSTP acceptance, do we have to decide by April 15th or May 15th? I suspect it's the latter, but I just want to confirm.

Program with a start date prior to August 1st (for classes, research rotation, etc.) may require you to make a decision by April 15. If you accept their admissions offer, you are expected to withdraw from any other programs that have accepted you by that date. However, you may still keep your application alive at programs that have waitlisted you. For programs that have a start date of August 1 or later, the May 15th deadline applies.

Regardless of the deadline, program directors may pressure you to make a decision early (i.e. before the appropriate deadline). This is contrary to the spirit of the AAMC guidelines for managing admissions, but I have never heard of action being taken against a program that engaged in this behavior.

Members don't see this ad :)
Program with a start date prior to August 1st (for classes, research rotation, etc.) may require you to make a decision by April 15. If you accept their admissions offer, you are expected to withdraw from any other programs that have accepted you by that date. However, you may still keep your application alive at programs that have waitlisted you. For programs that have a start date of August 1 or later, the May 15th deadline applies.

Regardless of the deadline, program directors may pressure you to make a decision early (i.e. before the appropriate deadline). This is contrary to the spirit of the AAMC guidelines for managing admissions, but I have never heard of action being taken against a program that engaged in this behavior.

Oh darn. Thanks for clarifying. I was asking because one program requested a decision by April 15th and I wasn't sure if that was just a "yes" but still hold other positions or a "yes" and withdraw everywhere. There's a late April/early May second look that I was planning on going to before making my final decision. I'll probably just talk to the directors to let them know where I'm at decision making-wise.

And yes, I know it's better for waitlisters to make a decision sooner but then, they should all have second looks sooner!