Deadline vs. Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

number77

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that for a particular program "The application must be received by November 1st of the year preceding September matriculation."
However, I am also suppost to do my senior research/thesis my senior year. Ideally, either the fall, or the fall and spring of my senior year. What do you guys do in this situation? Do the research earlier? If I do it as planned and recommended by my school, then the MSTP schools will never see it nor take it into consideration when reviewing my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Part of what qualifies you to pursue a MD/PhD is research experience. The more you can get the better. I would take your University's recommendation as a minimum deadline; rather you should consider joining a lab as soon as you feel that you can balance research with the rest of your academics.

The most successful applicants have 3+ years of research experience by the time they enter an MD/PhD program and maybe even have a published article by then. These applicants will be able to get into a top program such as UCSF or Harvard.

You can still be very successful with 2+ years of research and no paper, but it becomes very difficult to compete for the top positions.

I would not recommend only a year of research. If you were to join the summer before your senior year, then I would recommend sticking around as a tech for a year or two longer to get some more research experience.

You may also want to consider the programs available out there that allow you to do summer research... SURF, HHMI, REU.

Preparing yourself to do an MD/PhD has a lot to do with foresight and planning. Make yourself exceptional.

3+ years? WOW. Do they really think students can contribute with such little class time? Or is it a dedication thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a matter of finding a lab that will let you work independently so that you can plan out your experiments. I work 10+ hours a week in lab during the school year, which I think is typical for undergrads researching while taking classes. So in 2 or 3 years, that adds up to a lot of hours and perhaps enough data for a paper

SpeakLittleB said:
It's a matter of finding a lab that will let you work independently so that you can plan out your experiments. I work 10+ hours a week in lab during the school year, which I think is typical for undergrads researching while taking classes. So in 2 or 3 years, that adds up to a lot of hours and perhaps enough data for a paper
How would I go about that? Would I approach the department head? I get the feeling that I wouldn't be listened to because I'd be seen as taking up their resources.

number77 said:
How would I go about that? Would I approach the department head? I get the feeling that I wouldn't be listened to because I'd be seen as taking up their resources.

You need to find a faculty member you would like to work with and email them to set up a meeting. PIs are always happy to have extra help and someone to put on pet projects in need of hands. The department is for your senior thesis, which you don't need half as much as you need to do years of meaningful research BEFORE you apply. I didn't do an honors thesis, but I did have 3 summers and 3 20+ hrs/wk school years. Besides you really need significant exposure to know whether 4 years doing a MD-PhD is worth it for you.