1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Dealing with Interview Nerves

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by suarz, Sep 7, 2014.

1. suarz

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey guys! So I have my first interview this week and it's at my top choice school. I get super nervous in interviews, and it really affects my ability to speak well no matter how much I prepare. I need tips for keeping calm please!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 8th

8th
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    When I took a speech class in HS, my teacher told me a tip on how he calms down before public speaking. He clenches his fists and tightens up his entire body for 15 seconds. Then releases and relaxes his body. Helps me and I do it every time I either go on stage or give a speech.

swindoll likes this.
  4. hitmans45

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You have to look at the interviewer and see them as a person, sure they represent the school, but they themselves are a normal people with families and hobbies. The school already thinks you might have what it takes academically, now they are just seeing if your not socially inept. Which a lot of our fellow science majors are by the way. You're never NOT going to be nervous, but you don't have to be a weirdo. And a lot of these "interviews" are more like conversations than being drilled with questions. Reading the SDN interview feedback section and being over prepared will also ease the stress. Good luck!

free99, JS2013, jeffity and 1 other person like this.
  5. dentalWorks

dentalWorks Nights Watchmen
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I used to get butterflys too before my interviews.... but after attending a few, its not so much an interview per-se, but more an introductory meeting.

They are going to sit down with you, treat you respectfully, and get to you know.

6. shyfox9p

Pre-Podiatry
    Getting nervous is a natural thing. Best thing is to think positive about the situation. Be happy that you are their for the interview and let your personality show.

7. techyguy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    #6 techyguy, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    BPT4713, teethlover93 and swindoll like this.
  8. swindoll

5+ Year Member

9. Jazzouz

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Go into the interview with mindset that you are speaking with a colleague of yours rather than a superior. This will help you give more genuine less rehearsed answers to the questions you are asked. The last thing you want is to sound like a robot. Also go for a run before, it always calms be down! Good luck!

10. driftmanji

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Have fun with it! Interview days are a great opportunity to socialize with other people that share a passion with you. How awesome is that? It's also pretty sweet getting to check out the school and a city you might not have been to before.

Also, you're there because that school sees something they like in you as an applicant. Be confident in yourself. You'll do just fine.

11. yeslek88

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Shotgun a beer before you walk in. Natty ice always calms my nerves and keeps me relaxed.

tcufrof824 likes this.
  12. DentalDoge

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    ^THIS. Lines of coke will help you get pumped up for the interview. Make sure you share, socializing with the other applicants is crucial.

yeslek88 likes this.