Dealing with Interview Nerves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suarz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I have my first interview this week and it's at my top choice school. I get super nervous in interviews, and it really affects my ability to speak well no matter how much I prepare. I need tips for keeping calm please!

Members don't see this ad.

When I took a speech class in HS, my teacher told me a tip on how he calms down before public speaking. He clenches his fists and tightens up his entire body for 15 seconds. Then releases and relaxes his body. Helps me and I do it every time I either go on stage or give a speech.

Reactions: 1 user
You have to look at the interviewer and see them as a person, sure they represent the school, but they themselves are a normal people with families and hobbies. The school already thinks you might have what it takes academically, now they are just seeing if your not socially inept. Which a lot of our fellow science majors are by the way. You're never NOT going to be nervous, but you don't have to be a weirdo. And a lot of these "interviews" are more like conversations than being drilled with questions. Reading the SDN interview feedback section and being over prepared will also ease the stress. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I used to get butterflys too before my interviews.... but after attending a few, its not so much an interview per-se, but more an introductory meeting.

They are going to sit down with you, treat you respectfully, and get to you know.

Getting nervous is a natural thing. Best thing is to think positive about the situation. Be happy that you are their for the interview and let your personality show.

Go into the interview with mindset that you are speaking with a colleague of yours rather than a superior. This will help you give more genuine less rehearsed answers to the questions you are asked. The last thing you want is to sound like a robot. Also go for a run before, it always calms be down! Good luck!

Have fun with it! Interview days are a great opportunity to socialize with other people that share a passion with you. How awesome is that? It's also pretty sweet getting to check out the school and a city you might not have been to before.

Also, you're there because that school sees something they like in you as an applicant. Be confident in yourself. You'll do just fine.

Shotgun a beer before you walk in. Natty ice always calms my nerves and keeps me relaxed.

Shotgun a beer before you walk in. Natty ice always calms my nerves and keeps me relaxed.

^THIS. Lines of coke will help you get pumped up for the interview. Make sure you share, socializing with the other applicants is crucial.