Dean's letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

honey0102

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my preceptors wrote glowing comments for my dean's letter. He wrote quite a bit too. I'm very appreciative of this and of all his time that he spent helping me. My first rotation-and huge learning curve-but with his help I overcame it. He gave me Honors for the rotation-not sure if I'll actually Honor it as it depends on other preceptors too, but basically just saying, his comments on the letter were excellent.
He did write one comment on how certain skills needed improvement when I first began-but then he also wrote that he told me that and that I incorporated his feedback and was good by the end. How would residency PD's take this? Bad because the skills weren't there in the beginning, or good because I took the feedback and was good by the end?

Members don't see this ad.

Move past it. No one will care.

Reactions: 1 users
One of my preceptors wrote glowing comments for my dean's letter. He wrote quite a bit too. I'm very appreciative of this and of all his time that he spent helping me. My first rotation-and huge learning curve-but with his help I overcame it. He gave me Honors for the rotation-not sure if I'll actually Honor it as it depends on other preceptors too, but basically just saying, his comments on the letter were excellent.
He did write one comment on how certain skills needed improvement when I first began-but then he also wrote that he told me that and that I incorporated his feedback and was good by the end. How would residency PD's take this? Bad because the skills weren't there in the beginning, or good because I took the feedback and was good by the end?

He wrote it most likely as a means of showing how you grew during his rotation. It's the same principle of getting an average or above average score on one section where everything was perfect. Too perfect people may think it's a form-letter/response. Also shows you're capable to learning and adapting, it will be dependent on how it was written really.

He wrote it most likely as a means of showing how you grew during his rotation. It's the same principle of getting an average or above average score on one section where everything was perfect. Too perfect people may think it's a form-letter/response. Also shows you're capable to learning and adapting, it will be dependent on how it was written really.
It was written with a positive spin definitely, he showed me. So I'm hoping PD's do see it as capable of learning/adapting like you said!