"Dean's List" on the application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davidsomsen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...just wondering if it's worth putting "dean's list" on the application. I would obviously group all the times I was on the dean's list into one section...but I would imagine they get this a lot and don't really care, right?

Members don't see this ad.

My suggestion is to include "Dean's List" only if you don't have enough activities to fill all 15 slots. I wouldn't leave something more important, like a publication, off the application in order to make room for Dean's List.

I put my dean's list in the award section along with a few other awards i received in college because i needed to fill a slot in the EC. Alot of people has gotten dean's list so its not too impressive to be by itself

Members don't see this ad :)
Just group them under one Awards section.

its pretty much implied that you made deans list if you have a high GPA. It doesn't really impress anyone. It can be included with other awards as one entry or used to fill space if you have nothing else, but its really nothing to write home about

It's padding, but it wouldn't hurt to throw it in if the room's available.

Just group them under one Awards section.
And do it like this if you have multiple awards.

Deans list GPA cutoffs vary from one college to the next within a university, not to mention across universities in general. Your gorgeous GPA will shine brightly as the adcoms look over your application. Remember that your AMCAS has a breakdown by semester and by Science/Other GPA. It's rather unnecessary to add, but is just one of those things that probably doesn't hurt either.

My suggestion is to include "Dean's List" only if you don't have enough activities to fill all 15 slots. I wouldn't leave something more important, like a publication, off the application in order to make room for Dean's List.

Maybe b/c I haven't seen the application yet but... 15 activities? Like 15 clubs? Or 15 projects? Who fills all that up? I'm probably gonna have like 6-7 :oops:

Yeah, I'm currious as to how you got 15? Individually listing like AMSA volunteer participation or something? Not poking fun....I'd like to know... :confused:

Yeah...on the AMCAS there are 15 spots for "extracurriculars". This includes a LOT of things though...shadowing a doctor, dean's list, volunteer work, jobs, publications, etc. I think I'm going to have 13-ish.

Do you guys think it's a faux pas to not fill up all 15?

Yeah, I'm currious as to how you got 15? Individually listing like AMSA volunteer participation or something? Not poking fun....I'd like to know... :confused:

I think it's a lot easier if you hold jobs and do research during the school year, especially since I think you have to report paid employment >12 hours/week

My 15 slots filled up really quickly. Don't stress, though. From my understanding it's better to have 10 great ones than 15 with lots of fluff.

Do you have any recreational hobbies? I think this is valuable because it shows you have the stamina/stress-relieving activities necessary for being a successful doctor.

I didn't even list my shadowing because I didn't see it as "work/activities". I went into the important parts of my shadowing in my PS and didn't really want to repeat it again.