DEAP Program in San Antonio???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ribs98

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Im a high school junior aspiring to be a dentist. Im interested in the DEAP program since im a texas resident but there is very limited information given so I had some questions:
1. Has anyone on here gone through this program? What was your experience like?
2. Admission requirements? What Im confused about is if high school grades and SAT scores matter? Or is it only based on your grades and achievements in the first semester of college before which you apply to the program?
3. How hard/competitive is acceptance?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

You should go in and talk to Health Profession Office, one of the advisers there is like the head of the DEAP program I think. It's a good thing you're looking into this now, I was too late and asked about it first year of undergrad

I live in Dallas and cant go to San Antonio anytime soon... But Ill try and find a contact number or email. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
You should go in and talk to Health Profession Office, one of the advisers there is like the head of the DEAP program I think. It's a good thing you're looking into this now, I was too late and asked about it first year of undergrad

Do you by chance know if high school grades and stats are taken into consideration for acceptance into the program? Or is it only based on your grades and extracurriculars you do in those 30 credit hours? Thanks

Do you by chance know if high school grades and stats are taken into consideration for acceptance into the program? Or is it only based on your grades and extracurriculars you do in those 30 credit hours? Thanks
Sorry, after she told me I'm too far gone to be considered I stopped asking questions, all I know is that if accepted, you need minimum 3.5? gpa and 17? DAT, don't quote me though

Okay you need too call and ask them personal. You also need to check out schools in your area because I go to a school in Dallas that is great for pre health students. Gl

The maximum credits you can have is 12. Its for freshman fresh out of high school. You should hurry up and call because all kinds of deadlines are approaching.

The maximum credits you can have is 12. Its for freshman fresh out of high school. You should hurry up and call because all kinds of deadlines are approaching.
I know that you don't apply to the program itself right out of highschool. You apply to one of the colleges that participate in the program, attend for at least a semester and take no more than 30 credit hours, and THEN you apply to the program. What I want to know is what they take into account for admission to the program...

Sorry, after she told me I'm too far gone to be considered I stopped asking questions, all I know is that if accepted, you need minimum 3.5? gpa and 17? DAT, don't quote me though
No problem! Thanks for your help:)

Here is a link to UTHSCSA's page regarding the DEAP program...http://www.uthscsa.edu/academics/dental/programs/deap-program

At most schools participating in the DEAP program, you need a minimum of a 3.4 sGPA and 19 AA on your DAT. Most schools require between 12 to 30 hours of college work before applying (it might be a little different if you attended community college). My school participates in the program and courses that better prepare you for dental school are usually suggested by your advisors. When applying, you want to keep your GPA as high as possible and get some letters of recommendation from your professors ( I will assume science professors carry more weight).

Here is a list of schools that participate in the program...http://www.uthscsa.edu/sites/default/files/DEAP-infosheet-2014.pdf

Although I did not personally go through the program, I know a couple of students who have successfully gone through it. DEAP is an awesome opportunity and I would highly suggest pursuing this route. If you don't get in, it's all good. Just make sure you're taking relevant bio classes, keep your GPA up, and kill the DAT!

Here is a link to UTHSCSA's page regarding the DEAP program...http://www.uthscsa.edu/academics/dental/programs/deap-program

At most schools participating in the DEAP program, you need a minimum of a 3.4 sGPA and 19 AA on your DAT. Most schools require between 12 to 30 hours of college work before applying (it might be a little different if you attended community college). My school participates in the program and courses that better prepare you for dental school are usually suggested by your advisors. When applying, you want to keep your GPA as high as possible and get some letters of recommendation from your professors ( I will assume science professors carry more weight).

Here is a list of schools that participate in the program...http://www.uthscsa.edu/sites/default/files/DEAP-infosheet-2014.pdf

Although I did not personally go through the program, I know a couple of students who have successfully gone through it. DEAP is an awesome opportunity and I would highly suggest pursuing this route. If you don't get in, it's all good. Just make sure you're taking relevant bio classes, keep your GPA up, and kill the DAT!
Thanks for the info!