Dear Columbia people, help out a 2009 applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mobi2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Columbia students,

I am an applicant for 2009, and Columbia is my strong first choice.

I have a rather unique style of learning. I am not an antisocial person at all, but when I have to study heavy load of classes (such as 15 classes per semester, which is what Columbia curriculum has), I feel much more comfortable when the class atmosphere is not too social/intimate. I guess I have had difficulty studying heavy loads when I know too many people around, and some isolation from the crowd somehow have helped me get over the heavy loads. I know I am not a norm, but this is what my style of learning is when I have to absorb many info.

Do you think I will have difficulty adjusting to Columbia classes?
Will people think I am a weirdo?

I know being social in dental school is part of becoming a good dentist, but I just can't focus on many classes when I become social and I want to focus on my classes, at least for the first 1-2 years.

Any info/advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Answer: Did they make you wear a helmet on the bus on the way to school? If not, they should have.

Dude, don't be so mean.

To the OP, I'm applying right now so I can't specifically answer your question, but I'm sure there isn't too much socializing going on during lectures, and outside of class you can be as social or as antisocial as you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
to the OP, i don't think you're too different from anyone else. for two years i lived in a fraternity house with 45 other guys and last year i lived with 14 other guys. think any serious work got done within those walls? absolutely not. and going to the library with friends was rarely a good idea. maybe if i was studying with a friend in my class, maybe.

but when it came time to do serious studying, i always went to the same spot in the stacks of our graduate library (think: low ceilings, study carrels, will see another human maybe once ever 5 hours, quiet enough to hear a rat p*ssing on a cotton ball). some people just need to shut out all the distractions. i don't think you or I will have any more difficult of a transition to dental school.