Dear "Need to take up the entire lecture hall when I study" guy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orthonut

Garryowen
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
YOU SUCK! Dude, you're not even a freaking VET STUDENT and you just complained to me that I "took your reserved spot" IN MY LECTURE HALL.

Um, NEWS FLASH, you are sitting THREE FREAKING ROWS BELOW ME, A freaking piece of SCRATCH paper doesn't reserve anyone a "spot" and thirdly, THERE IS NO "SQUATTING" allowed in our school's study spaces!

DUDE. YOU are allowed to study in our lecture hall as a courtesy. Your school prohibits US from studying in YOUR new lecture/lab...

And who the frick needs ONE whole lecture table (20 ft long desks) let alone also the THREE ROWS BEHIND HIM?

Members don't see this ad.

um dude....... chill out already. holy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this a grad student or an undergrad? If it's a grad student, tell him to get back to his research lab cause research is way more important than classwork in grad school anyways. :D If it's a undergrad, well...kick his butt. Or something. :rolleyes:

Haha, I have the feeling I'm going to be posting something similar this coming fall. I HATE it when people take up way more space than they need. Especially since it is already uncomfortable sitting too close to other people when they are studying.
Newsflash people: a 5 foot radius is way more than enough "personal study space".
And this is coming from a person who is notorious for having study items spread ALL THE WAY AROUND her when she has to do anything mildly difficult.

Is this a grad student or an undergrad? If it's a grad student, tell him to get back to his research lab cause research is way more important than classwork in grad school anyways. :D If it's a undergrad, well...kick his butt. Or something. :rolleyes:
I wish. He's a med student. He told me he was more important? :rolleyes: Um, yeah. I told him that the reason he could eat food without fear of disease was because of food animal veterinarians that keep the food supply safe. Then he laughed, so I said "real doctors treat more than one species" and he actually shut up.

It wouldn't be a big deal, except this is not the first time this has happened. Every weekend, the lecture hall that was just built for us (we had an old hand me down POS lecture hall before that was way too small) is FILLED with med students. Which is fine, except then they take up an entire 20' desk (which would seat 5 very comfortably) and then there is no where for us to study, since we can't study in their new lab (which is filled with giant tables, perfect for spreading out)

They complain when we have meetings (where we have reserved the rooms prior) and actually CALLED CAMPUS SECURITY to have us removed for "talking in the quiet study area" more than once.

I'm tired of going to the VETERINARY SCIENCES LECTURE HALL for study group and being "shushed" by someone who comes in after we did (while we are obviously talking and writing on the whiteboards) and doesn't even belong there.

I don't mind when people spread out. It's when people act like they own the entire lecture hall and then get all pissed off when other people study in the same space. I just don't get the "cross-species" gunnerism if you will. WTF is up with "competing" with vet students for crissake? That's like uber-ultra-gunnerism.

I am just sick and tired of the attitudes displayed towards veterinary students by some of our colleagues here. I am not superior to you, you are not superior to me. Just because there are more of you than there are of us doesn't mean we are second class citizens. The campus is plenty big enough for all of us to SHARE.

Out of curiosity, what school do you go to?

wow, how rude.

that is not cool. i'm sorry you have to deal with that. :(

?? Don't they have their own buildings to study? That's ridiculous. You should talk to the dean about it....if a bunch of non-vet-students (regardless of major to degree) starting taking over our facilities, you had better believe I'd bring it to the dean's attention.

It's YOUR veterinary school, YOU are paying tuition to have quiet, unrestricted access to veterinary-program designated study areas and lecture halls, and not have them taken over by people who quite frankly have their own places to study.

I wish. He's a med student.

HA! After reading your first post, I was just going to say that you must be at a place which also has a med school...........:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, they have their own buildings to study in, but our school is a touchy-feely-lovey campus where anyone can study anywhere (oh wait, except in their new lab lol)

Not something important enough to go to the dean over, but definately worth a good ol fashioned SDN rant.

I don't know if this is still true, but I do remember at Missouri when I was an undergrad, I think I remember the undergrads were not really supposed to study in the health sciences library (aka the med school library) during the evening or something unless they had a particular reason for being there, like getting a journal article or something. Whenever I had to go over to get an article in grad school from one of the toxicology or nutrition journals or something, I always felt they were watching me like I was an intruder or something. :rolleyes: Never really felt like that going into the vet school library to get something from J of Animal Science or JAVMA.

You know what? I'd like to have a day with our colleagues in the med school where we flip flop. Med students can come over to the vet school, sit in on a lecture, tour the anatomy and clin path labs and see the MRI, ICU, and the surgery suites over in the teaching hospital, maybe go out to the dairy farm or the large animal facilities. And vet students could do the same. Ya know, just so we get a little cross cultural exposure to each other. There's still way too much public perception that all we do as vets is give shots, do spay/neuters, and play with puppies, kitties, and horsies all day long. I think that perception needs to stop since it both undercuts our reputation and our salaries. Something like that will help going from the top down with the MDs.

Let me be the first to say this is an outrage. Med students have their own study places, and vet students have theirs. Each group should stick to their own.

You need to talk to your dean and have them institute a policy to cover this kind of BS.

Yeah, they have their own buildings to study in, but our school is a touchy-feely-lovey campus where anyone can study anywhere (oh wait, except in their new lab lol)

Not something important enough to go to the dean over, but definately worth a good ol fashioned SDN rant.

I would totally let the administration know... if I felt uncomfortable doing so myself, I would approach my class president, etc., and ask them to.

What you described is unreal! :mad:

You know what? I'd like to have a day with our colleagues in the med school where we flip flop. Med students can come over to the vet school, sit in on a lecture, tour the anatomy and clin path labs and see the MRI, ICU, and the surgery suites over in the teaching hospital, maybe go out to the dairy farm or the large animal facilities. And vet students could do the same. Ya know, just so we get a little cross cultural exposure to each other. There's still way too much public perception that all we do as vets is give shots, do spay/neuters, and play with puppies, kitties, and horsies all day long. I think that perception needs to stop since it both undercuts our reputation and our salaries. Something like that will help going from the top down with the MDs.

This is a GREAT idea. Med and vet students are all "health" students -- some shared experiences would help a lot, I think.

This is a GREAT idea. Med and vet students are all "health" students -- some shared experiences would help a lot, I think.

We did the switchy thing last year with the first year med students, totally optional for everyone involved and it was outside of any formal class thing. We went to their anatomy lab and they taught us stuff and vice versa. Unfortunately there were far more of us interested than there were of them, and when they came over to the vet school, they (generally) weren't overly enthusiastic and most didn't want to get their hands dirty. It was really neat though.

On another note, when I first saw this thread, I though I was on "rants and raves" or "best of" on craigslist :)

I would totally let the administration know... if I felt uncomfortable doing so myself, I would approach my class president, etc., and ask them to.

What you described is unreal! :mad:

i agree. i'd love to see what the med students do and i'd love to show them around "our" world :hardy:

when they came over to the vet school, they (generally) weren't overly enthusiastic and most didn't want to get their hands dirty. It was really neat though.

So I guess that's a no on the fistulated cows or doing rectal palpations? :laugh: :rolleyes:

We're running out of body parts to dissect in large animal anatomy to maybe do it this year. We're starting the head of the horse and cow next week, then chickens, reptiles, and a few prosected pigs and then we're done! :D

Hmmm, orthonut sounds alot like a disgruntled St. Matthew's student. I know that competition for space has been a big issue between the medical and veterinary students here.

So I guess that's a no on the fistulated cows or doing rectal palpations? :laugh: :rolleyes:

We're running out of body parts to dissect in large animal anatomy to maybe do it this year. We're starting the head of the horse and cow next week, then chickens, reptiles, and a few prosected pigs and then we're done! :D
heheheheh. First term we invited some curious new med students over to the farm and one of them asked about our fistulated cows...so we gloved them up and had them feel around. All was good until one guy got his arm stuck in there lol (He had tightened up and sort of freaked out-when we finally got him to relax and unflex his arm he pulled right out.) but that was the last time any of them commented on how "easy" vets had it.

Not at St Matts (thank goodness lol)