Dear UCLA Geffen Applicants - Background Checks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Any other Geffen applicants (post-interview) get a background check email?

Does anyone know if this has any relevance in how far along your application is in the committee consideration process?

I just got an email from their background check service company (Certiphi Screening, Inc.) and I've heard that they only spend the money on background checks for the applicants that they are seriously considering making offers to. Just trying to see if I should get my hopes up, as I'm out of state and still feel like I have a snowball's chance at nabbing a seat.

Thanks guys. Happy New Year, and well wishes to all who are slugging it out with this year's cycle! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Certiphi contacted me for a background check but I'm pretty sure that was for Northwestern, where I'd already been accepted. My understanding from the Certiphi e-mail was that they didn't contact you unless you'd been accepted or placed on an alternate list:
"Certiphi Screening, Inc. (a Vertical Screen® Company) will procure for participating medical schools a national background report on applicants at the point of initial, conditional acceptance or upon request by a participating medical school that adds you to its alternate list."
(that's from their e-mail)
So, I have no idea what it means about Geffen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any other Geffen applicants (post-interview) get a background check email?

Do you mind giving the approximate date on when you interviewed? I think they have definitely reviewed your file and are considering you if they sent such an email, and I'm curious to know how far along they are in the reviewing process.

Don't want to get your hopes up just in case, but it looks like you might have some good news on the way.

http://www.careercenter.uiuc.edu/blogs/prehealth/?p=291

Freakin' sweet! Not going to get the good ole' hopes up, but I'll take any semi-good news that comes my way this time of year.

Do you mind giving the approximate date on When you interviewed? I think they have definitely reviewed your file and are considering you if they sent such an email, and I'm curious to know how far along they are in the reviewing process.

I was offered an interview way back in early October, but could not find a mutually workable date until early December with my other interviews (Texas schools take care of business pretty early), 16 hrs of school, and work commitments at the lab (we published in November).

However, I have yet to officially hear anything from them. Just got the random email for background screening. Seeing as they are the only school that does that that I'm applying to this year, I'm pretty sure it has to be them. I just don't know why they would do a check before an official acceptance.

Maybe because I'm out of state?

Freakin' sweet! Not going to get the good ole' hopes up, but I'll take any semi-good news that comes my way this time of year.

I was offered an interview way back in early October, but could not find a mutually workable date until early December with my other interviews (Texas schools take care of business pretty early), 16 hrs of school, and work commitments at the lab (we published in November).

However, I have yet to officially hear anything from them. Just got the random email for background screening. Seeing as they are the only school that does that that I'm applying to this year, I'm pretty sure it has to be them. I just don't know why they would do a check before an official acceptance.

Maybe because I'm out of state?

For a small fee, my cousin can run a background check on you. He knows people who know people who know people...He fails no one.

For a small fee, my cousin can run a background check on you. He knows people who know people who know people...He fails no one.

Hmm. Interesting. For a larger fee, could he possibly take out someone's legs for me? lol

I just got an email about a background check too. I hope it means something good!

I just got an email about a background check too. I hope it means something good!

Maybe. I just finished up with the final phase before submission today. Got a class from the agency so I could give them the all clear to send it to Geffen. Hopefully, I'll hear back from the good people at UCLA some time in the next few weeks.

If anyone else out there has any information or input, feel free to throw it out there. As always, good luck to all! :D

What do you have to do for the background check?

Hmm. Maybe we got different emails. Mine was just an AMCAS/Medical School Criminal Background Check Survey. Maybe everybody got this. I wasn't prompted to give any additional information to the Certiphi company or anything. Darn, I was hoping it was a good omen from UCLA, but I'm doubting not now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does your email specifically say Geffen is requesting a background check? Or just "one of the participating schools"?

Hmm. Maybe we got different emails. Mine was just an AMCAS/Medical School Criminal Background Check Survey. Maybe everybody got this. I wasn't prompted to give any additional information to the Certiphi company or anything. Darn, I was hoping it was a good omen from UCLA, but I'm doubting not now.

I got that same email you're describing this morning. I am a post-interview UCLA hopeful too....but I don't think this is the same thing that the OP got. I would love for it to be a good omen....but until I have an acceptance letter in hand (UCLA mails them) I won't trust it. Good luck to you! :luck:

So yeah. I guess it's literally just a survey, it doesn't say anything about Geffen or Northwestern (I also interviewed here). And it's sent from AMCAS not Certiphi. I thought it would prompt me for info after the survey, but it didn't. Sorry. False alarm. Did anyone else get this email?

So yeah. I guess it's literally just a survey, it doesn't say anything about Geffen or Northwestern (I also interviewed here). And it's sent from AMCAS not Certiphi. I thought it would prompt me for info after the survey, but it didn't. Sorry. False alarm. Did anyone else get this email?

Yea, I got one as well, but I didn't apply to UCLA. However, I did apply to Morehouse which is also one of the few participating schools for this year, and I received my post-interview waitlist from them like a month ago. Even though I had the generic AMCAS background check subject heading on my email, I do remember the survey itself saying this was on behalf of Certphi b/c I presumably underwent a background check, so I don't know exactly what this all means...

I also just received an e-mail about a background check and I interviewed at UCLA in late November so...let's see what happens, it could just be an e-mail everyone received.

I interviewed at UCLA in early December and I got the same email today as well.

to everyone saying that they got a UCLA background check e-mail, THERE'S A DIFFERENCE between an e-mail saying "Hi, we're UCLA and we would like you to authorize a background check" and an e-mail saying "Hi, we're AMCAS and want you to take a Certiphi survey". i think most everyone who applied to a school participating in the background check process got the e-mail from AMCAS today, which prompts you to take the survey. for those claiming to have gotten the UCLA e-mail, was that one different? what did it say?

to everyone saying that they got a UCLA background check e-mail, THERE'S A DIFFERENCE between an e-mail saying "Hi, we're UCLA and we would like you to authorize a background check" and an e-mail saying "Hi, we're AMCAS and want you to take a Certiphi survey". i think most everyone who applied to a school participating in the background check process got the e-mail from AMCAS today, which prompts you to take the survey. for those claiming to have gotten the UCLA e-mail, was that one different? what did it say?

Sorry for all the confusion. To give info on MY situation, I interviewed at geffen way back in the 2-double oh-7 and, back in early January, received an email from Certiphi on behalf of Geffen asking me to authorize a criminal background check for application purposes. No clue as to if this means that I'm close to acceptance any they just want to make sure I'm not a serial killer before making an offer or what (hey - gotta be optimistic right), so I made this thread to see if I could find out what, if anything, such a background initiation check could mean.

My rational was that with background checks costing money, they may only be initiated for applicants beings seriously considered for an offer (again, my damn optimism).

Now, as for TODAY - I got both a call from Certiphi (asking about a speeding ticket and telling me that everything else was clear) as well as the following email:

Good Morning,

As part of the AMCAS application process, you recently participated in Part 1
of the first year of an AMCAS-facilitated Criminal Background Check process,
in which you were provided with information about this new process. AMCAS, the
Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) and medical schools are very
interested in receiving your feedback about this new process. As such, we ask
that you take a few minutes to complete a very brief survey regarding your experiences.
To complete the survey, please follow the below link.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Lv9C3oLoo6L9TKS1gd2j_2fw_3d_3d

Thank you in advance, as your peers, medical schools and future applicants will
benefit from your feedback.

Steve Fitzpatrick
AMCAS Program Director
[email protected]

------

So, that's where I am. In the phone call, the guy told me that he would forward my results (speeding ticket's not a big deal, right?) to Geffen and they would contact me some time in the future about an admissions decision. He also made a point of telling me to point all other questions in the direction of the admissions staff (and was kinda rude about it).

So, hope that helps clear up some of the confusion. Sorry about the novel here, but I REALLY want to get into this school and am trying to to drive myself CRAZY waiting on an adcom decision.

However, I don't think I'm doing a very good job of it... :eek:

i applied to more than one school that uses the background check, so I'm not sure which school wanted my report...

however, i am hoping for good news from Geffen soon! I don't understand what's taking them sooooooo long!

isn't Geffen supposed to start releasing decisions this week? Anybody hear anything, or know anyone that's heard something?