Death rates/lifespan for physicians.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungFaithful

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on physician lifestyles? I have done a little research but was unsuccessful. Is there a physician's almanac?

Anyone come across info by specialty? It would be interesting.

Suicide rates?
Lifespan?
Divorce rate?
etc...

Thanks!
YF

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by YoungFaithful

Suicide rates?

Increased over the general public.

Lifespan?

Unsure -- I know some OLD docs.

Divorce rate?

Way high.

Don't forget substance abuse. I think it's been reported that something like one out of 7 docs will have trouble at some time?

I don't have numbers for any of these, but I remember the lecture from our 1st year "how to be a doctor" class.

The research has been done and is out there.

Way high.

Actually this is a myth. I can't give you my source right now because I don't remember it exactly, but overall divorce rates are similar to the general population, and lowest among physician-physician couples.

Casey

Originally posted by cg1155
Actually this is a myth. I can't give you my source right now because I don't remember it exactly, but overall divorce rates are similar to the general population, and lowest among physician-physician couples.

Casey

Wow, I did not know this. It would seem this would be the worst combo. BUT, now that I think about it, the most happily married docs I know are married to other docs. Maybe that's the only person who can truly understand the stresses of medicine?

I would love to see that data if you can dig it up.

Thanks!

Originally posted by avendesora
Wow, I did not know this. It would seem this would be the worst combo. BUT, now that I think about it, the most happily married docs I know are married to other docs. Maybe that's the only person who can truly understand the stresses of medicine?

I would love to see that data if you can dig it up.

Thanks!

Doc-Doc marriages are probably happy b/c b/w the two doctor incomes they're so frickin loaded.

Originally posted by Sledge2005
Doc-Doc marriages are probably happy b/c b/w the two doctor incomes they're so frickin loaded.

That MUST be it...

While I was in medical school, some professor (pysch?) lectured to our class that the substance abuse rate among physicans (all comers not a specific specialty like anesthesia) is about the same as the general population.

Originally posted by avendesora
That MUST be it...

it's annoying when people can't figure out that you're joking and take you seriously

Actually, that's not true. Divorce rates for docs are 114%

Umm, I don't remember failing statistics so please explain how you could have a greater than 100% divorce rate? At 100% everyone is divorced!

If you mean 114% of the non-doctor population rate then that is really not significantly different (14% more).

The rationale I heard for the stability of doctor-doctor couplings was that they're both too tired to get out of it!

Casey

Umm, I don't remember failing statistics so please explain how you could have a greater than 100% divorce rate? At 100% everyone is divorced!

If you mean 114% of the non-doctor population rate then that is really not significantly different (14% more).

The rationale I heard for the stability of doctor-doctor couplings was that they're both too tired to get out of it!

Casey

>100% is "two-time losers" (or more).

>100% is "two-time losers" (or more).

You know I respect you Apollyon, being an EM brother and all, but that is just ridiculous. The divorce rate is either 100% or less than 100%. If you marry again that marriage should be another "event" and factor into the calculation as if you had not been married.

At any rate the argument is moot, I Pubmed-ed you all into submission.

the "C"

PS, I have been drinking.

APHA printed last year that lifespan is slightly longer for physicians, because so many have quit smoking.

We had a lecture on physician health during second-year epidemiology. One of the few things that I remember learning from that class is that the lifespan of physicians is (or was, when the study was done, about 1995) 9 years shorter than non-physicians'.

Can I get 114% of my paycheck now?

Casey

It must be because both people are too busy to see each other and don't have time to argue over the little things in life.....
sigh.....
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Museless
We had a lecture on physician health during second-year epidemiology. One of the few things that I remember learning from that class is that the lifespan of physicians is (or was, when the study was done, about 1995) 9 years shorter than non-physicians'.

Can I get 114% of my paycheck now?

I KNEW all those germs I placed into my respiratory tract over the years must have done something....! spreading through my lymphatic and circulatory systems... uhm....