Mental health help for physicians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IRattending2021

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, one of my resident approached me asking recommendation for therapist who take cash and open to establishing pt/therapist relationship with an anonymous pt.

knowing the potential licensing fallout of having any diagnosis in chart, I totally understand their position. They perform well in residency and don’t seen to have any issues otherwise and this topic just kinda came up.

i am not so familiar with such services. Do any one here have any idea or can point me to someone whom this resident can trust? Pm is fine too.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, one of my resident approached me asking recommendation for therapist who take cash and open to establishing pt/therapist relationship with an anonymous pt.

knowing the potential licensing fallout of having any diagnosis in chart, I totally understand their position. They perform well in residency and don’t seen to have any issues otherwise and this topic just kinda came up.

i am not so familiar with such services. Do any one here have any idea or can point me to someone whom this resident can trust? Pm is fine too.
a) what kind of issues are you talking about? (personal, academic, a bad golf swing?)
b) I don't think a diagnosis would necessarily threat licensure, we all have issues.
c) You should probably look in your local area, it's hard to find such help here on SDN. I'm sure if you googled 'therapist' wherever you are, you'd find many. Then look for reviews etc etc.

a) what kind of issues are you talking about? (personal, academic, a bad golf swing?)
b) I don't think a diagnosis would necessarily threat licensure, we all have issues.
c) You should probably look in your local area, it's hard to find such help here on SDN. I'm sure if you googled 'therapist' wherever you are, you'd find many. Then look for reviews etc etc.
a. Not sure. They didn’t elaborate beyond that they jsut want to talk to soemone and still fit to work. I imagine it’s not an academic thing because they perform well in intraining exams.
B.i am not familiar with it as I fortunately havent needed mental health care.
C. Good call. I’ll google some. I just try to figure out is the resident’s desire for anonymonity usual and can that be accomodated.

You could ask the psychiatry department at your hospital for referrals. Someone there would know where to find outside therapists, and they wouldn't need to know who you're asking for. I am a psychiatrist at a hospital, and I get asked by other doctors for outside referrals for someone they know frequently enough.

I also find psychologytoday.com useful, if it's ok to advertise them.

Reactions: 2 users
You could ask the psychiatry department at your hospital for referrals. Someone there would know where to find outside therapists, and they wouldn't need to know who you're asking for. I am a psychiatrist at a hospital, and I get asked by other doctors for outside referrals for someone they know frequently enough.

I also find psychologytoday.com useful, if it's ok to advertise them.

is it common to have pts who want to use pseudonyms or stay anonymous?

I work through the hospital and so take nearly every insurance, and I see only kids. So this is not something I have or would have expected to run across.

If its cash pay, there's no reason to do that since the government/insurance companies have no claim to those records. When I was doing cash pay (admittedly FM not psych), I told patients that I would never release records without at least letting them know first. And without billing issues, no one ever came asking for records.

It's incredibly unlikely that any records like this, whether cash-pay or insurance, would ever have any affect on licensing. Unless the problem is psychosis or substance abuse.

Reactions: 1 user
I would otherwise agree with the above statement, but I think there are plenty of bipolar patients that don't end up suffering psychosis (although a possibility) and that can be more problematic than many people know re your medical career. Although I would say if that's the possible diagnosis don't dick around, get treatment.

And also OCD, and depending on the severity of anxiety and what meds are used to address it, in any case without knowing more about the person's personal mental health it's hard to say how much caution they should take around anonymity. I would err on the side of lots because there's some bells that can't be unrung and people might be shocked how much stigma and hoop jumping there can be.

I would otherwise agree with the above statement, but I think there are plenty of bipolar patients that don't end up suffering psychosis (although a possibility) and that can be more problematic than many people know re your medical career. Although I would say if that's the possible diagnosis don't dick around, get treatment.

And also OCD, and depending on the severity of anxiety and what meds are used to address it, in any case without knowing more about the person's personal mental health it's hard to say how much caution they should take around anonymity. I would err on the side of lots because there's some bells that can't be unrung and people might be shocked how much stigma and hoop jumping there can be.

so is it possible for this resident to see someone using a pseudonym? This isn’t something I want to ask around in the psych department for. I did some search but am a bit bewildered by the choices out there.

I think my resident just wonder if they can go to a website, pay with paypal, and see a therapist virtually without real name, or go to an office, put down John doe and pay cash.

It's incredibly unlikely that any records like this, whether cash-pay or insurance, would ever have any affect on licensing. Unless the problem is psychosis or substance abuse.

I mean, it depends on what you mean by "affect." Some states will ask you if you have a diagnosed mental health issue. If you answer truthfully that you do, they will ask for records. It's generally preferred by the patient not to send something as personal as mental health records to your state board. But if you don't, it could very well affect licensing.

so is it possible for this resident to see someone using a pseudonym? This isn’t something I want to ask around in the psych department for. I did some search but am a bit bewildered by the choices out there.

I think my resident just wonder if they can go to a website, pay with paypal, and see a therapist virtually without real name, or go to an office, put down John doe and pay cash.

I don't think anyone can advise you on this. I'm a psychiatrist and I haven't seen this done though I'm not cash pay. The best thing to do is to find a therapist on psychologytoday.com who takes cash pay and call them and ask them. You don't have to say who you are in asking the question.

So many people are diagnosed and treated for mental illness these days. If it's standard depression/anxiety there are no potential licensing issues.

Ask the resident if they have a church affiliation.
Many churches have support systems that are off the official medical record system.
If you are lucky the resident is just having "Growing Pains" and just needs to talk with somebody.

I have a part time cash private practice in psychiatry. I see patients who value discretion and I am pretty sure that at least one patient did not use their real name. I honestly have no way to know for sure and I don’t really care.