Debrecen University Dental Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BootySlayer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if there was anyone on SDN that could shed a little more light on the dental program at Debrecen University in Hungary? I am a recent graduate (BS in Bio) from a California school and am interested in applying to Debrecen for dental school. My GPA as of right now is less than spectacular (3.0 flat), and as a last resort, I am strongly considering this university. Specifically, I wanted to know what the curriculum structure is like and what other difficulties I might encounter over there. Also, I understand that acquiring my degree outside the US and Canada would require me to do more schooling int order to practice in the US; if anyone could please explain the process to me that would me marvelous. Thank guys =)

*& before everyone comments, this, I UNDERSTAND that doing a postbacc and applying next cycle would be in my best interest, however I am really trying to do everything I can to get in during this current cycle

Members don't see this ad.

scenario 1.

1. you go to debrecen university, obtain your DDS/DMD there.
2. you take NBDE part 1 and apply to advance standing program at very few universities in US that offer very few seats (typically if accepted, you start clinical years with D3 class). the universities that offer this program are very very expensive (100k$ per year aka 200k$ for the whole 2 yr program with living expense the cost will be more than that, NYU and USC come to my mind) but it is also very hard to get into these programs. unless you are some well known dentist overseas with years of experience and come here with established connections, you usually don't get in by just graduating from foreign dental school and apply straight into advance standing programs.
3. simply put, it is a terrible idea to attend foreign dental school and bank on getting back here to practice

my faculty interviewer at UNLV is a foreign trained dentist. but she was a hospital faculty who also participated in academic teaching as well as private practice in the center capital of china. you are competing with this type of quality. IMHO, whom it is even harder to compete with than pre-dents.

scenario 2.
I UNDERSTAND that doing a postbacc and applying next cycle would be in my best interest, however I am really trying to do everything I can to get in during this current cycle

do what you just said above. some people with 3.1 and 3.2 GPA do get in. just figure it out!

Reactions: 1 user