Debt from Georgetown SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbell2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey peoples

I'm interested in the SMP program at Georgetown and am wondering if we're allowed to borrow the whole amount. Does anyone who's currently doing this program using 100% loans or does the school (the program) give grants? Will the program give me 100% loans (or hoepfully some grants) even if I currently have close to nothing in my bank account? I had to pay for my undergrad edu. Hoep someone can help me out. Tahnks all

Members don't see this ad.

I visited the program back in the days when I was a pre-meder and visiting my best friend who was interning for the FDA. Ok the programs provides no GRANTS for no one, regardless of ur grades or MCATS. The program is considered a Special Master's program, so unfortunately, its considered to be more like a Professonal program (like MBA, Law, Medicine), than a graduate program (ex: PhD). If you went into a 2 year Masters to Most of any University out there you would most likely be given full grants plus a stipend which is usaully covered by the research grant or you would have to TA for, unfortunately, those are graduate degrees in specific areas, say Biology, Engineering, Math, etc.. Long Story short, you got to pay for the full program through cash or all loans, the government will give you up to 18,500 a year and the rest you get through private loans which covers you regardless of what you got in your bank account as long as you got GOOD Credit (above 680), but even if you don't there is a way around that, just get a co-signer with good credit to co-sign your loan. You will find Plenty of lenders out there willing to give you crap loads of money so they can collect there interest off a bright future doc2B. What sucks even more, housing in Georgetown is not only expensive as heck, its hard to find. The director told me back than students rent to live in residence basements for saving and to be close to campus. Georgetown is a small community. The University is Beautiful, reminds me of my undergrad because they both Private Jesuit Catholic Universities, but what comes with the word Private is big $$$. If it was not for my full scholarship in undergrad I would of ended up with 200K in loans, even with a full scholarship and a stipend i still ended up with 40K in loans (I dont go to GT by the way, just a sister school). Thats all the info. I can provide you, anything else just go to the website, call the director and hear it from the horse's mouth, which i am sure he is going to tell you the same thing, unless Georgetown became EXTREMELY GENEROUS l :rolleyes: ately with people who need a program which costs crap loads of money thats formed to try to get docs2b with credential deficiencies(which is very subjective of a word)