Debt load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TSUJC

CSU c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be entirely too personal for most people to talk about but I was curious as to what everyone's debt load looked like. After a bachelors and a masters I am already over 120,000 and I have not started vet school yet (yes, I know). I have accepted the fact that that I will be poor for the rest of my life but I love this profession and would not want to do anything else. I know there are some people without any debt, I wish I could have been that lucky. Really I just want to hear from people who actually have debt. I want to know how you deal with the stress of it and how long you think you will be paying it off.

Members don't see this ad.

I've got a bit of debt going into vet school - but I don't expect it to take me too long after vet school to pay it off. I've been living like a pauper these last few years, plan on living like one while in vet school, and if I continue to live by the same means - I don't see why I can't be debt free in 3-4 years following graduation (unless I jump right into a residency, than that can get tricky).

I totally feel you! I've got around 80K already, and am paying OOS tuition for this year (over 50K when you include loans for living expenses). I'm going in with the mindset that I'll be paying them off until I die. That way, if I sit down with a financial planner later and find out I'll pay them off before I die, I'll be pleasantly surprised! ;)

Especially since I'm already 27, only in my first year, and plan on doing a residency. I know it will be worth it in the end, though, because there's nothing else I want to do! So basically I feel the same as you.

Members don't see this ad :)
when i graduate i will be $325K in debt. :eek: so...i win? is the prize a winning powerball ticket?

You guys make me feel a lot better about my $44k I owe. I thought that was a lot until I read this..

Even though debt sucks.. Just remember... Being a vet (although you may not be rolling in the dough) is waaaaayyyy better than being a human doctor (no matter how much money they make).

Thanks Tayaki & RockStarKDub.....I wasn't totally honest about my debt load because I was embarrassed. I actually have closer to 200,00 so by the time I get out of vet school (I am attending OOS) I will be right about where Tayaki is. THANK YOU for making me feel like I am not the only one.

I am only about 30K in debt, so i am kind of lucky, but it still scares me because i so badly want to attend an out of state school, but its double the price.

I just try not to think about it, and i'm going to do my best to make a decision based on programs, not on cost, no matter how hard it is to seperate it out.

Also, I tell myself every morning - 'Yes, I might be in debt for decades after i graduate, but i'm going to love what i'm doing while i pay it off." that really helps with the stress of it.

good luck!

Thanks Tayaki & RockStarKDub.....I wasn't totally honest about my debt load because I was embarrassed. I actually have closer to 200,00 so by the time I get out of vet school (I am attending OOS) I will be right about where Tayaki is. THANK YOU for making me feel like I am not the only one.
Will you even be able to realistically pay off that level of debt.

I didn't run the numbers but I would think you would be looking at $3000 a month in loan payments on a 30 year loan.

I owed 14k coming out of undergrad. Part of that was un-subsidized loans because my parents would not offer any support. I currently still owe 3k in subsidized loans, but could pay that off if I wanted (but it is the only bill currently in my name, so it is one of the few things that supports my credit rating.) I attended an OOS private college due to scholarships bringing the cost of tuition to less than IS and the ability to RA for room/board. I worked FT throughout college, and 2 FT positions on ALL breaks. I took 1 year off to conduct a Watson Fellowship. If I get into NCSU, I won't have debt. With Penn, I could probably cover 1/2-2/3 costs. Please, NCSU, I really want in, I have planned the last 7 years of my life to make vet school as reasonable as possible. I can pre-pay...please?

What are the limites for paying off professional school debt? Isn't it just 10 years for undergrad? So some of that you will be paying off a lot faster than 30 years. As for the stress; I do a lot of extra work (beyond my job) for extra money (such as dog training, tutoring, etc). I pay extra on my loans every month. I never missed a payment and I only deferred my loan once, right after Rita destroyed my home and I was living out of my car. I intentionally lived in areas where buying houses was more cost effective than renting, and when I bought homes they were 'handman specials' that I flipped. If I get into vet school, I intend to buy another handman special (possibly a foreclosure) and work on it to make it a rental property or a flip when I graduate (hoping the market recovers by then.) I attended community classes on debt management, home purchasing, etc even if I didn't need them (and now I actually get paid to teach the same classes.) In college (and in vet school) I will set up initial funds in staggered CDs and other secure investments to insure that I get money when I need it for bills, but don't have easy access such as a savings account (and get a better return, even if that return isn't great.)

I really detest how people take the attitude of 'Oh, I am just going to ignore the financial aspects of my life because it isn't convenient to what I want in the short term.' I believe people who do this for education are also the people who do it for houses, cars, and other debt-inducing purchases down the road. I think it is an immature response that jeopardizes more than just the borrower. Then again, I am very close to the current financial crisis, since my husband works for a bank. I also think colleges should require a course in personal financial management..... and that the government should look at future debt to income ratios when approviing financing for education.

Last edited:
i'm going to do my best to make a decision based on programs, not on cost, no matter how hard it is to seperate it out.

As a graduating vet student I implore you not to think about future debt in this way. Go to the cheapest school possible. Above all else. If another school has an area that you are interested in, you can always extern there over the summers or in fourth year. Trust me on this.:oops:

This is a big reason i did not pursue vet school directly after college - i was terrified of the debt. I had about 20k in loans after my undergrad (graduated 1995 :eek:). I JUST finished paying it off last year after the sale of my home (yes, very lucky i know). Even then, i had only whittled it down to 11k until last year and then paid off the balance.

My advice would be to pay it off as quickly as possible, even if it means large sacrifices. I would also recommend if at all possible, to pay the interest while in school. I wish i would have done this because that compounded interest is absolutely brutal. It is way too easy to defer it, make minimum payments, not pay the interest, etc and before you know it, you are in a position where you are lucky to be able to pay it off before you die!

i found that life gets in the way if you let it. You get married thereby making someone else responsible for your debt (i had a hard time with this), maybe start a family and don't work for some time, want to go on the annual beach vacation......you get the point. I would highly suggest going to a financial advisor before incurring all the debt to get a realistic view of how life will look after vet school financially. Do not put the blinders on when it comes to your debt...please. If it is too late (already pregnant :rolleyes:) then it would not be a bad idea to address this matter asap and make necessary changes now. Little things can make a difference.

Just my .02 (.01 now due to recession). I learned the hard way and my debt was nothing compared to financing an entire vet school education (and possibly undergrad).

It's great to see threads like this so that more students really think about the commitment and sacrifices involved.

I've seen some discussions on whether to attend in state or OOS because of the cost factor. I would without a doubt attend IS if it was even a 5k difference a year. That's 20k over 4 years - this is real money. Again, don't mean to upset anyone because i know this can be a sensitive issue. It is just my opinion being a little older and a little wiser (i hope :D)

Best of Luck to all that have difficult decisions to make regarding this.

Last edited:
I really detest how people take the attitude of 'Oh, I am just going to ignore the financial aspects of my life because it isn't convenient to what I want in the short term.' I believe people who do this for education are also the people who do it for houses, cars, and other debt-inducing purchases down the road. I think it is an immature response that jeopardizes more than just the borrower. Then again, I am very close to the current financial crisis, since my husband works for a bank. I also think colleges should require a course in personal financial management..... and that the government should look at future debt to income ratios when approviing financing for education.

I hear what you're saying. Not to advocate for making decisions blindly and with no regard for money, but I think a big part of it is being unable to really *know* what the debt will be like. For a lot of us, this is going to be the biggest financial payout (aside from maybe a house) that we make. Thus, going into it, it's really difficult to conceptualize what the debt load will be. I'm trying to make my decision based on money, and will most likely be going IS next year for exactly that reason - but I certainly understand WANTING to make the decision based on program/location/the fact that you like the local accent/proximity to Disney World/whatever floats your boat. The only reason I'm having money enter into it is because I know it *should* be a big consideration, not because I honestly can conceptualize what 10k, 20k, or 200k mean aside from 'wow, that's way more than I've ever had in my bank account'...It's hard to make the logical decision sometimes.

I guess my point is that I agree with you re: financial classes in college, and that decisions should be made with a lot of consideration given to finances - but I very much take offense to the insinuation that it's a blatant rejection of the importance of finances.

I guess my point is that I agree with you re: financial classes in college, and that decisions should be made with a lot of consideration given to finances - but I very much take offense to the insinuation that it's a blatant rejection of the importance of finances.

It wasn't an insinuation. It was based on the following comments on this thread:

"I just try not to think about it, and i'm going to do my best to make a decision based on programs, not on cost, no matter how hard it is to seperate it out. Also, I tell myself every morning - 'Yes, I might be in debt for decades after i graduate, but i'm going to love what i'm doing while i pay it off." that really helps with the stress of it."

"I'm going in with the mindset that I'll be paying them off until I die. That way, if I sit down with a financial planner later and find out I'll pay them off before I die, I'll be pleasantly surprised!"

Ignoring debt, or the potential of debt, is not reasonable or logical. In my opinion, intentionally not thinking about an issue IS a blatant rejection of the importance of that issue. I did NOT say you were ignoring the importance of the issue, I said that I detest the attitude, which was stated, as noted above. We aren't talking about just being in debt. We are talking about people who may eventually have to declare bankruptcy (which does NOT forgive subsidized loans.) We are talking about people intentionally shoving reality out of thier minds because they don't want to think about it. Assuming that you will die in 25 years (the max for HPSL, which I think is the longest) isn't rational either. I realize the latter wasn't quite the way they are probably thinking, but rather that they will spend so much repaying loans that they will have to work to the day they die to provide for themselves.

Obviously, because the topic is out here, there is absolutly no reason for anyone to say 'I don't understand what it means to have that much debt.' At this point, if you don't know, it is time to find out. Talk to a financial advisor NOW. Ask someone in your undergrad/grad program's finacial aid office to sit down and go over what the numbers actually mean to you. Approach a mentor who has money sense and ask them to go over what this debt will mean in the future. Walk into your bank and ask a loan officer to go over it with you, and explain what it will mean.

Inexperience, or difficulty grasping a concept is not a good reason to ignore it. Treat your future finances like you would a pre-req for vet school; if you don't understand, you work on it till you figure it out, or get help to figure it out. You wouldn't decide not to learn about oxidation reactions because you haven't experienced them, or they don't make perfect sense when you first think hear/read about them.... except when talking about finances we aren't talking about flunking a test or a class. We are talking about the potential to be homeless and pennyless and STILL owe money.

The government and other lending institutions aren't going to say 'its ok, we get that you didn't understand what you were getting into with educational debt, here is a pass.' They aren't doing it with homes now, which actually are a form of collateral. I have helped friends through bankruptcy....people who make far more than vets, who didn't realize that thier student debt will NOT go away with the bankruptcy.

It isn't the issue of having to work for the rest of your life....it is the issue that you may not be able to manage the payments on the minimal required schedule, especially if ANYTHING goes wrong (illness, pregnancy, natural disaster, personal disaster, lay off, bad economy, identity theft, etc.)

Again, I don't know your situation, and I don't know if you are blatantly ignoring the issue of finances or not. I was responding specificly to comments on this and other threads that amount to 'I don't think or want to think about finances and what they will really mean down the road.'

Of course, it is just my opinion, based on my experience, which ranges from living on a farm where we worked long hours to not have enough food on the table for the first 5 years of the farm's existance, to living out of my car (yes, literally homeless), to owning a bed & breakfast on 5 acres of land and bringing in more income in a year than I have in the past four years of working more than full time.

If you take the time to figure it out now, to understand it and plan for it, you can set yourself up to have a solid foundation finacially coming out of vet school with an awareness of what your financial goals are so that you can obtain what you want, whether that is living near poverty or relatively well off. The reason to know and understand finances is so that you can do what you want with your life as a vet. This knowledge means you make decisions that can enable you, in the future, to pusue your passion (donating services, supporting rescues, buying better equipment, owning a practice, researching a specific interest, etc.)

Of course, just my opinion, so your milage may vary.

Members don't see this ad :)
It wasn't an insinuation. It was based on the following comments on this thread:

"I'm going in with the mindset that I'll be paying them off until I die. That way, if I sit down with a financial planner later and find out I'll pay them off before I die, I'll be pleasantly surprised!"

Ignoring debt, or the potential of debt, is not reasonable or logical. In my opinion, intentionally not thinking about an issue IS a blatant rejection of the importance of that issue. I did NOT say you were ignoring the importance of the issue, I said that I detest the attitude, which was stated, as noted above. We aren't talking about just being in debt. We are talking about people who may eventually have to declare bankruptcy (which does NOT forgive subsidized loans.) We are talking about people intentionally shoving reality out of thier minds because they don't want to think about it. Assuming that you will die in 25 years (the max for HPSL, which I think is the longest) isn't rational either. I realize the latter wasn't quite the way they are probably thinking, but rather that they will spend so much repaying loans that they will have to work to the day they die to provide for themselves.

My light-hearted comment was taken way out of context. I resent the implication that because I joked about being in debt until my deathbed, I must not have any real idea of what it means to be in debt, or how much I will be paying.

I am well-aware of the financial aspect of my education, hence choosing the school that allows for in-state tuition after my first year. I have my loan budget worked out to the very last penny and never take out more than I need. The only thing I meant by "sitting down with a financial planner later" is that I can't speak to what will change in my life over the next 3.5 years -- will I go on to a pathology residency as I currently intend, or will I decide to practice instead? That will make a huge difference in my salary, which has a big impact on how much above the minimum I can pay every month.

I can appreciate your stance, certainly, but make sure you have all the facts before making blanket statements. Thanks. :thumbdown:

Sumstorm has reallly hit the nail on the head as harsh as it may come across. This is not a matter to take lightly or to think it will all just work itself out. It won't. And she's right, bankruptcy does not forgive student loans.

I will add one more very important consideration - insurance. PLEASE do right by your family and at the very least take out some term insurance for the amount of your total indebtedness. Most of you are very young and very healthy and it will be inexpensive for the coverage you need. You need this should something catastrophic happen to you, and your family (spouse, children) are left with your enormous debt. I am not up to speed on all of the loans and how your debt, should you die, may or may not be forgiven, but if you have a co-signor or the debt will transfer to a family member, you MUST, MUST, MUST at least be responsible enough to cover this indebtedness with insurance. This also holds true for disability - something we should all think about. It happens more than most of us realize. The inability to continue in your profession because of an illness, injury or accident could wipe you out financially if you are not prepared.

Bottom line - go get some professional advice NOW on these matters.

i'm very passionate about this topic (obviously) and now i'm done :oops:

"I just try not to think about it, and i'm going to do my best to make a decision based on programs, not on cost, no matter how hard it is to seperate it out. Also, I tell myself every morning - 'Yes, I might be in debt for decades after i graduate, but i'm going to love what i'm doing while i pay it off." that really helps with the stress of it."

In my opinion, the ability to make a statement like those cited, in seriousness, demonstrates a lack of deep-down understanding in terms of what the consequences would be - not an attempt to ignore the consequences...

I agree that it's not logical to approach issues from this mindset. Again, I'm not trying to defend the disregard for finances - but even the idea of retirement is so foreign to someone just coming out of college that it's hard to think of it as a tangible concern.

Obviously, because the topic is out here, there is absolutly no reason for anyone to say 'I don't understand what it means to have that much debt.' At this point, if you don't know, it is time to find out. Talk to a financial advisor NOW. Ask someone in your undergrad/grad program's finacial aid office to sit down and go over what the numbers actually mean to you. Approach a mentor who has money sense and ask them to go over what this debt will mean in the future. Walk into your bank and ask a loan officer to go over it with you, and explain what it will mean.

All very good suggestions.

Inexperience, or difficulty grasping a concept is not a good reason to ignore it. Treat your future finances like you would a pre-req for vet school; if you don't understand, you work on it till you figure it out, or get help to figure it out. You wouldn't decide not to learn about oxidation reactions because you haven't experienced them, or they don't make perfect sense when you first think hear/read about them.... except when talking about finances we aren't talking about flunking a test or a class. We are talking about the potential to be homeless and pennyless and STILL owe money.

The government and other lending institutions aren't going to say 'its ok, we get that you didn't understand what you were getting into with educational debt, here is a pass.' They aren't doing it with homes now, which actually are a form of collateral. I have helped friends through bankruptcy....people who make far more than vets, who didn't realize that thier student debt will NOT go away with the bankruptcy.

It isn't the issue of having to work for the rest of your life....it is the issue that you may not be able to manage the payments on the minimal required schedule, especially if ANYTHING goes wrong (illness, pregnancy, natural disaster, personal disaster, lay off, bad economy, identity theft, etc.)

OK, I'm going to stop responding to every paragraph because it's pretty much going to continue to be some form of 'that's a good point to think about, even if it sucks to consider'. :)

I really didn't mean for my post to come off as incendiary - I think it's vital that people make decisions with all available information, and I personally appreciate people like you delivering information straight-up without sugarcoating it.

My only point was that I think being able to be flippant or make statements that show a lack of care re: future finances is more likely demonstrative of lack of understanding as opposed to an honest 'who cares' approach. And I think it's possible to be ignorant not only from a technical/logistical standpoint, but also from an emotional one. One can understand how everything works on paper, but still not *get* it on a deep-down level.

You need this should something catastrophic happen to you, and your family (spouse, children) are left with your enormous debt. I am not up to speed on all of the loans and how your debt, should you die, may or may not be forgiven, but if you have a co-signor or the debt will transfer to a family member, you MUST, MUST, MUST at least be responsible enough to cover this indebtedness with insurance. This also holds true for disability - something we should all think about. It happens more than most of us realize. The inability to continue in your profession because of an illness, injury or accident could wipe you out financially if you are not prepared.

I apologize, I am overly harsh on this topic. I have let my anger at the method of providing educational loans and the structures that surround them spill over. It only takes one thing to go wrong, and often that triggers other things to also go wrong.

My only point was that I think being able to be flippant or make statements that show a lack of care re: future finances is more likely demonstrative of lack of understanding as opposed to an honest 'who cares' approach. And I think it's possible to be ignorant not only from a technical/logistical standpoint, but also from an emotional one. One can understand how everything works on paper, but still not *get* it on a deep-down level.

I think that is part of why I am so hot on this topic. I want people to take the time to get it, to embrace it at a gut level now, when they can take actions to mitigate it, then have the desperation that people feel suddenly realizing exactly how buried they are in debt.

My husband, when his company was in the middle of a huge battle of banks, said he actually had coworkers who said they honestly thought about jumping. What they were referring to was the suicides committed after the market crash heading into the great depression. All of a sudden they had the crushing realization that it takes a split instant for them to be out of work and unable to carry thier debt burden in a market where work isn't available. There were suicides and homicide/suicides. So I am also way too close to the topic right now at the other end of the educational tunnel...and these are people who make far more than vets....some of whom have been living frugally and just have unfortunate circumstances and others who lived off loans while in school. They love what they do...and they love the rewards that come from it....but the costs are still there...or they have new and unanticipated costs such as thier kids' education.

A vet I worked with in her late fourties/early fifties just sent off her last loan payment this summer :scared: Scares the living daylights out of me, as I have a hereditary aversion to debt (it didn't occur to me til I was seventeen or eighteen that some people DON'T pay cash for their cars, etc. My family had never done anything else. And we are not rich people.). Luckily I've been really fortunate through undergrad, and hopefully I'll get in to my contract school (also my dream school) when I apply.
Anyone ever had to decide what to do after being rejected from inexpensive state school that you'd really like to go to and accepted to pricey OOS? Statistically I know this is unlikely, but it would be a really hard choice.

I see how my comment came off as niave, but please let me clarify.

I have spoken to finacial officers at both my IS and my possible OOS alternative. I have also spoken with financial aid officers at my undergrad for a third opinion. I have also spoken with family that is currently in debt, and family that has no debt at all. I have spoken with a vet that is alumni of my OOS alternative an she too paid the huge sum of OOS tuition and is currently just a few years out and still has payment. I have also spoekn to vets that did not have debt coming out of vet school.

I have thought about it. I have written down the numbers, made possible budgets for each school, talked to students at each school (both IS and OOS student). I understand the numbers completely, and when i say i want to base my decision on programs and not on cost, it is based on this 'research' i have already done. I DO think it is an important aspect, but what i guess i meant to say was, when first deciding between the IS and OOS school, I looked at the programs, and saw if there was reasoning (A LOT of reasoning) to pick the OOS over the IS. It's more than just ignoring the finances and choosing the school that's got a better scenery around it, or to expand my cultural horizons. I have based the moatary worthiness on if a program will provide me with better education AS WELL AS better networking with current vets in the industry. I feel that the OOS alternative offers both of these and the networking opportunities available at OOS could (and have for many of the vets i have contacted) lead to better internships/residencies/jobs, which results in better salaries.

I am aware that 200K is A LOT more than 120K. I am aware that both are HUGE sums of money and that $1500 monthly payment on loans will be more than half my paycheck.

I wish that i was in the same position as you sumstorm, you seem to have definately prepared yourself well, and have worked hard to get where you are today with the opportunity of not having any debt coming out of vet school. CONGRATS! That's an acheivement. But let me work hard when i come out of vet school. Give me the opportunity to flip houses when i have graduated. Why should all the things you did BEFORE you went to vet school, not be available as an option for me when i get out of vet school? Yes okay, it will be MUCH harder to flip houses with $1500 monthly payments to loans, but who said vet school, or paying off loans would be easy? I haven't heard anyone say that.

I am not completely niave. I have had my own personal struggles and have seen the effects of debt on family members. I am VERY AWARE of the possibilities and actualities.

I have thought about it, i have researched it, and I have made plans to deal with it. Life comes at ya fast, i know, but i'm not going to be scared of debt (cautious, yes... scared, no). Please don't take this comment as being niave, it is just my opinion, one of which i think is very well informed. You may, and obviously do, feel differently than me, and that is okay, i think you offer some VERY valid points, and i will consider your statements when making a decision of whether my OOS is worth it, but i will not let them dictate whether it is worth it.

and that is really what i was trying to say. I am making the decision based on programs, then will decide whether or not the programs/networking are worth OOS costs.

Anyone ever had to decide what to do after being rejected from inexpensive state school that you'd really like to go to and accepted to pricey OOS? Statistically I know this is unlikely, but it would be a really hard choice.

Yep. That would be me. This was my 2nd year rejected from my IS school. And it was surprising that I definitely seemed to be having a better shot at OOS schools. But after hearing friends go through exit interviews at the IS, I've realized that it could be graduated from an OOS school before I ever get accepted to my IS, so that made the decision easier. The debt that I am accepting by making this decision still scares me though. Although, I've heard that the tuition for my IS isn't that low anymore anyway.

I am reading about all this debt, and let me ask, am i being Naive?

I am assuming, that if I work hard, perhaps do emergency (night work), or relief work in addition to my main career, that I can easily bring in anyway from 70 -80K on the low end. I'm talking about working 60 - 80hr weeks. The work seems to be out there for vets. I am also counting on the recession getting a bit better in the next 4 years, but lets ignore that for now, since it is out of our hands. I am also willing to go were ever I need to find that level of work.

working like that, living well below my financial means, couldn't i be debt free (say 200K) in 4-6 years?

Most of us are all college students - living a very cheap lifestyle. Keeping that lifestyle up following graduation, I see no reason not to be debt free in a few years.

Now, add family commitments or unwillingness to work 80+ hour weeks, then thats a different story, but I am hearing all these stories about doom and gloom - but it seems to be about how hard and long you are willing to work.

Yep. That would be me. This was my 2nd year rejected from my IS school. And it was surprising that I definitely seemed to be having a better shot at OOS schools. But after hearing friends go through exit interviews at the IS, I've realized that it could be graduated from an OOS school before I ever get accepted to my IS, so that made the decision easier. The debt that I am accepting by making this decision still scares me though. Although, I've heard that the tuition for my IS isn't that low anymore anyway.

I was also rejected from my IS and accepted to Kansas. I'm still waiting to hear from Penn but either way it is going to be much more expensive than going to my IS.

working like that, living well below my financial means, couldn't i be debt free (say 200K) in 4-6 years?

4-6 years may be pushing it. If you earn 70k then paying off in 6 years means half your paycheck goes to payments and that will add up to 210k... but have you calculated the building interest?

you are not being completely niave, but 4-6 years for 200k is a bit on the short end. even ifyou are earning 70k, you may want to theorize double the amount of time has the shortest time period to pay off debt. This also means if you aren't going to doa residency.

You seem to have the right idea tho, willingness to work extra hours to cover the debt payments. You also obviously seem to be going into this wanting to make more than the minumum payment on your loans, which will definitely get you debt free quicker. Go talk to a financial aid officer at MSU and have them break down all the numbers on paper for you. This may help in creating a better estimate of how long it will take to pay off. Most financial aid officers at vet schools had seen a lot and know what students in the past have done and are capable of, and they are willing to help. USe them. You have already been accepted, so they are that much more willing to help you.

I hope you can flip houses and have the skills to do so after graduating vet school if that is what you need to do to make ends meet. I am not sure you would be able to get the morgages to do so with the debt-income load.... or that the market would be suitable for flipping. I hope it isn't what you need to do.... I hope we aren't in the climate we are now where some vets are having problems finding work and associates are being cut.

I do know...in my late 20's it is far harder for me to put the same taxing demands on my body that I did in my late teens and early 20's. I can honestly say that I can not work 20 hour days anymore, which I did 4 days a week throughout college (and I didn't get to crash and burn on weekends...I still had to work.) Even in my mid 20's when I went out to sea and worked 20 hour days for 1-3 weeks, I had to crash in between. Maybe it is because I have worked so very hard that my body can't provide the same sustainable energy it use to...or maybe it is my body aging.

The reason I highly object to such high debt-income ratios is that when times do turn bad, such as now, those ratios make an individual exceedingly vulnerable. Perhaps more so than people can comprehend before it happens. As long as the economic bubble grows, the high levels of debt make sense because you have the potential to pay them off. If that bubble bursts, then you may have to deal with issues like 'do I pay my student debt or my rent' or 'I bought a house with X mortgage, but now I am only working 75% of those hours, and I was living close to the edge already....oh, and my home has lost 30% of its value, so I actually owe more than it is worth....and it won't sell in the current market.'

I am not saying just that paying off large student debt will be hard...I am saying that it may not be possible. Or it may be that you are currently willing to plan to sacrifice in your future but when you get to that future your views may change OR you may be unable to sacrifice the things you thought you could.

I also don't think it is all the individuals fault, I am astounded every week on how much in subsidized loans students are allowed to have, regardless of what thier real ability to repay is likely to be. Student debt is taken and distributed very much with a Pollyanna perspective; the person will get through without issues and get the degree which will land them X job that pays Y and nothing will ever happen to damage that. We aren't asked for business plans outlining how we will repay our debt and what we will fall back on if we are unable to. Many of us aren't even asked to prove that we have working skills to self support ourselves without any assistance before entering professional programs (in other words, we haven't even proven that we are capable of paying off any part of our first round of debts without taking out additional debts in the repayment process.) Sadly, the ability to repay is rarely even considered before the distribution of educational debt.

I am both flustered and bemused hearing Congress berate banks making loans on homes that are shockingly similar to loans the government makes on education and credit cards make to individuals. I just don't see educational debt getting a bail out, but I maybe wrong.

I am assuming, that if I work hard, perhaps do emergency (night work), or relief work in addition to my main career, that I can easily bring in anyway from 70 -80K on the low end. I'm talking about working 60 - 80hr weeks. The work seems to be out there for vets. I am also counting on the recession getting a bit better in the next 4 years, but lets ignore that for now, since it is out of our hands. I am also willing to go were ever I need to find that level of work.

Now, add family commitments or unwillingness to work 80+ hour weeks, then thats a different story, but I am hearing all these stories about doom and gloom - but it seems to be about how hard and long you are willing to work.

There are several assumptions there:
nothing will ever happen to end your education short of a degree
nothing will ever happen to end your career short of paying off your debts
you will not ever fall ill or need to take extended time off
you will not change your lifestyle due to marriage/kids or anything else
you will not need to take out any debt for any additional reason
your health will never falter requiring you to reduce the hours you work
there will be an availability of work
you will be able to schedule an 80+ work week
you are capable of working that many hours a week for that duration

The litmus test, in my opinion, is do you currently work 60-80+ hours a week including, of course, your time attending classes and seriously studying? I find that people who are willing to do it later, are doing it now, to prevent the initial debt, but I could be wrong.

So, I guess I am saying it is possible, though far easier if you limit the initial debt.

You also obviously seem to be going into this wanting to make more than the minumum payment on your loans, which will definitely get you debt free quicker.

Yes, I believe that should be a given for all of us (Paying off more then the minimum). I was raised believing that you don't buy extra's (new car when your old car is still running, new house when you can live in a cheap apartment, going out to eat, new cloths (besides what you need to dress professionalism) until of your debts are paid for. If after graduating, you do any of those things, and you still have student loans out, you are just asking for trouble.

Sun, your right about all the things that could happen - and while I am not expecting anywhere near 200k (120 - 150K is probably going to be my debt load when all is said and done).

In terms of can I do it, yeah. Worked 60+ hours for 5 years while doing my undergrad. Wasn't allowed to work doing my graduate work (violates terms of my assistantship).

Personally, after working fulltime+ while a full time student, I welcome being done with school. enough is enough :)

I'm not quite sure what the point is to talking to a financial consultant at this point. I own my car, live very cheaply, owe very little in loans, payed off most of my unsubsidized. The only thing I can think of concerning talking to a financial consultant would be the benefit of paying back loans faster. I mean, how much of once income can be deducted by paying off debts? Can I cut my income by 50% if I use 50% of my income towards loan repayment? Or is the amount you can deduct maxed out at a certain point? If for example I can't bring myself below/into a lower tax bracket by paying so much, then it might be better financially to pay it off slower over a longer time (i.e. if I am taxed 30% because of my bracket, and I pay off 40K in loans one year, then it would suck to still be paying 30% on my remaining income. Ok, I'll talk to someone :)

I also did something, that may bite me in the ass later. I took out a LOT of subsidized loans over the years, and put that money in a high yield CD (yeah, still FDIC insured). So, my debt is currently HUGE, but I have 90% of that building interest (over the last 8 years or so). Guess I better talk to a CPA...

Probably will talk to someone once i get going - but I plan on doing some consulting work while in vet school to offset some of my spending (simple lab stuff, run some experiments on weekends kinda thing - But that will wait till my second year so not to over extend myself initially).

But I guess we will see.

Last edited:
The litmus test, in my opinion, is do you currently work 60-80+ hours a week including, of course, your time attending classes and seriously studying? I find that people who are willing to do it later, are doing it now, to prevent the initial debt, but I could be wrong.

I disagree with this. I know many people that are working 80 hour weeks after graduating vet school but did not work any while attending undergrad or vet school. They are willing to put in the extra work to pay off the debt they have.

Last edited:
As a graduating vet student I implore you not to think about future debt in this way. Go to the cheapest school possible. Above all else. If another school has an area that you are interested in, you can always extern there over the summers or in fourth year. Trust me on this.:oops:

:thumbup: Ditto (except I graduated in '07)

My debt load (including undergrad) ~240K and growing while in residency...

and I take personal offense to this comment. You are VERY wrong. I have worked extrememly hard throughout my undergraduate career, working the 40+ hour work weeks and going to school full time... doing the two full time jobs on break,

I think what sun was saying, is those people who worked full time while in school are the same people who will most likely have no problem working 80 hours after school.

Don't think she was judging - and I agree with her (as I understood it)

You get married thereby making someone else responsible for your debt (i had a hard time with this),

Unless you make the mistake of putting your spouses name on your student debt (usually done in consolidating), This is NOT true. Your spouse has NO responsibility for your student loans. You die and he/she forwards your death certificate to the loan companies and that is the end of it.

So the moral of the stroy is DO NOT combine any student loans with your spouses loans/debt.

I think what sun was saying, is those people who worked full time while in school are the same people who will most likely have no problem working 80 hours after school.

Don't think she was judging - and I agree with her (as I understood it)

After going back and re-reading both sun's and my comments i have clarified.

:laugh: I love how that post about Sumstorm's name just slipped off the front page and we're back to Sun...

Not in a harsh way, just intrigued by the phenomenon.

:laugh: I love how that post about Sumstorm's name just slipped off the front page and we're back to Sun...

Not in a harsh way, just intrigued by the phenomenon.

Ha I didn't even realize my mistake. hmmm silly me

Something to remember. If you are planning to take out $200,000 in loans(50k per year) while in vet school via traditional routes: stafford sub, stafford unsub, and Grad Plus you will actually graduate with $235,000 in debt due to the capitalization of interest while you are still in school.

i'm hoping that i'll be able to consolidate loans when i graduate. of course the amoutn of debt i have seems daunting, but what am i supposed to do? i'm nearly done with vet school and dropping out to avoid further debt seems like an impossible situation.

i'm hoping that i'll be able to consolidate loans when i graduate.

Have you checked the financial aide forums here? There are no worth while consolidation options any more.

david, what do you want me to say? i have debt. i'll have to deal with it when i graduate.

I definitely plan on joining the army. Once I get a letter of acceptence I will join the same day. I have been in contact with them for some time, public health and debt relief = good plan.

david, what do you want me to say? i have debt. i'll have to deal with it when i graduate.

Well said! Because honestly, at some point this is all we can do.
Yes, we can minimize the amount of debt we get ourselves into, but for the most part we will all have some sort of debt and Tayaki has nailed it on the head!

Here's a question for all of you who seem to really know your stuff when it comes to the financial system. Is there a calculator or something out there I could use to determine what my monthly payment will be versus how much debt I have? Currently from Undergrad/Masters I have roughly 20K. I've been accepted into my IS school for my DVM, which should work out to about $64K if they don't change the tuition rates (roughly $16/year * 4 years = $64K).

So that's roughly 85K...eesh!

Also, ALL my loans are subsidized thus far..I never took out anything with interest while in school (ONLY took out money for tuition costs) and waited tables at night throughout my entire undergrad to make ends meet.

Anyway, back to my original question. There must be a website or something out there to help calculate how long it will take to pay it off and what the monthly payment will be (assuming student loan interest rates stay down and don't double like they did a couple years ago!). I know I someone at the financial aid office at my current school should know..but honestly, they're clueless about most things...they even told me that they didn't think I'd qualify for ANY loans as a DVM student :eek: because I would be a professional student and not a 'real student' (I am NOT kidding, someone actually told me that with a straight face and air quotes). After that, I am certainly not taking their advice on my finances...

Some more things to think about: if you work even just a few hours a week during the school year (I do, and it isn't that bad, the job is at school) you can make enough to pay interest while in school which makes a huge difference as David pointed out.

Also, the average vet student has $10,000 in debt to starbucks alone (study last year, will try to link reference). And then you're paying 6% + interest compounded on top of this. Get spending habits under control. Brown bag it and you'll be so happy in 4 years.

If you think you're going to come out of school and work 60-80 hours a week for more than a year, you're wrong. Not to mention relief vetting (especially without internship or residency) right out of the gate is not possible. You'll hear a lot about burn out in school. Maybe you're a super star, but that would be a rare exception. You don't know how tired you'll be when vet school is over and planning to pay debt in that way is completely unrealistic. You'll realize this quickly once school starts between the reality of class load hitting and getting info on burn out in the field.

I worked full time and went to school full time and volunteered 10-20 hours per week in undergrad, and using this as my point of reference I still feel it is totally unrealistic to think you can maintain 60-80 hours per week ESPECIALLY if it entails relief and emergency work (two biggest for burn out). Just my $0.02 based on my experience and numerous presentations from those in the field.

4-6 years may be pushing it. If you earn 70k then paying off in 6 years means half your paycheck goes to payments and that will add up to 210k... but have you calculated the building interest?

I think the bigger problem with this calculation than forgetting to take into account interest is forgetting to take into account income taxes. Not trying to be offensive, but it's a common thing to forget if you haven't worked a fulltime job and seen ~30% of your paycheck never make it into your hot little hand (sure, your income tax may be less than 30%, but it's a good number up in this salary range, especially because the state takes a cut, too).

So with income tax, your $70,000 per year drops to 49,000. Half of that is $24,500. $24,500 to your loans every year means it would take over 8 years to pay them off before even factoring in what interest accruing means. I'm bad at interest calculations so I'll leave that to someone else. But I think this means that expecting to pay down $200,000 in 4-6 years is indeed unreasonable. But maybe that's just me.

Just thought of something else I wanted to add.

For a personal anecdote with actual numbers... I made a nice salary before coming to vet school (above the range we're talking about), had $30,000 in grad school debt, and put every cent of my paycheck after living expenses (I didn't live like a pauper, but relatively frugally) towards my loans except a measly $200 I stashed in savings each month. My loan interest are comparable to current interest rates. In a year and a half, I paid a bit over $20,000, which took care of somewhere around $15,000 of the original $30K I'd taken out. Take from that what you will. What I take from that was that I was paying down my debt fairly aggressively (in my opinion) and still only took care of $10,000 original debt per year. With that payment scheme, it'd take 20 years to pay off $200,000. I'm sure someone will jump on why my numbers are wrong, but it comes from my personal experience.

Wasn't meant as anything personal, just more a comment towards loan consolidation options(or lack there of). Unfortunately student loans interest rates are way different now than they were 5 years ago when it seems everyone could consolidate their loans for <4%.

VAgirl sounds like she was in on those low loan rates also. Where a year ago you could put the money in a CD that paid more interest than you were paying on your loans making it financially beneficial to hang on to the cash instead of paying more towards loan debt.

My plan for after vet school is to minimally do an internship. Then afterwards I am planning to work full time and pick up a couple relief shifts a month. I know in my current local the going rate is around $75 an hour for relief emergency work which can definitely help take a dent out of student loans when they are 10-12 hour shifts.

I have a great deal of debt, I am well aware of the magnitude of my debt and don’t think it is fair to judge another person’s financial situation, especially because everyone has a different situation. I have been on my own financially since I was 17 years and was not in a position to rely on my parents or any other source. If I didn’t take out loans how else was I going to have a reliable (not new) vehicle, pay health and car insurance, pay tuition, fees, books, groceries, rent, utilities ect? I worked a full-time job throughout my undergraduate and graduate degree but that only covered the bare minimums. If the government looked at future debt to income ratios when approving financing for education (like sumstorm suggested) I would not have been able to attend college.

As far as veterinary school goes, I am sure most vet student will tell you that it is impossible to work full-time while in vet school. In less you have parents/spouse that is willing pay your bills how else are you going to live??

I created this post because I wanted to know how people deal with the stress of the debt. I am glad that some of the members made light-hearted comments because I live with the stress of my debt everyday and it can be tough. What am I supposed to do, wake up in the morning and slap myself in the face for getting into this situation?? Should I punish myself everyday for trying to better my life through education? There is only so much negativity that you can have in your life. If RockstarKdub wants to wait until after she/he is out of school to deal with the debt…that is her/his prerogative. If she/he wants to joke about it to make it less difficult then good for her/him! My intent was not to have people criticizing each other or judging other peoples financial decisions, especially when they do not know the finite details. I know everyone has an opinion but general soapbox preaching is not exactly what I expected to come from this post.

I am not saying that sumstorm or others are incorrect, there are many irresponsible people that should be required to seek financial guidance but I am not sure that was the purpose of this post.

Most of us have Stafford loans (I don’t have PLUS loans because I don’t have parents that can pay them.) Stafford loan debt IS generally discharged if you die or become permanently disabled. So I would NOT recommend paying into a life insurance program, especially if you are already in debt and can’t pay your current bills!!

Last edited:
Some more things to think about: if you work even just a few hours a week during the school year (I do, and it isn't that bad, the job is at school) you can make enough to pay interest while in school which makes a huge difference as David pointed out.

Also, the average vet student has $10,000 in debt to starbucks alone (study last year, will try to link reference). And then you're paying 6% + interest compounded on top of this. Get spending habits under control. Brown bag it and you'll be so happy in 4 years.

Yeesh, good thing I rarely ever drink coffee!

I work too. It pays for my groceries, gas, some utes. Pretty much cuts my monthly spending in half. I was so frugal last semester when I didn't have a job. I'd be at the store buying food, just thinking of how this $2 can of food would accrue interest and end up costing me much more than $2.

I think working and going to school is entirely possible (for those without other big time commitments like family) and a good way to take a little chunk out of loans. Or at least feel better about buying groceries.

That said, I wouldn't mind a spouse for a second income ;)

I also agree with Telamutt - work 80 hour weeks but that's going to push you to burnout really fast. In fact, I think our school is having a lunch presentation in the next few weeks about the burnout/suicide/stress.

Yeah, I'm also in that same boat. My IS is Cornell, and therefore I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I was rejected this year, and from posting on another thread many people seemed appalled that I might decline an offer at an OOS school in order to try again next year IS. It's a very hard decision, especially because it incurs more expenses to apply and interview all over again. If thousands of other people can make ends meet in order to go to vet/med school, I can too.

Last edited: