Step I Dec 27th IMG Exam Experience, 252/87

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

allawi1085

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi every one,
I used to read experiences and score threads and wish that one day I would complete this exam and post my experience, and the day come...

I'm an IMG, graduated 4 years ago...


Materials used:

Kaplan LNs (twice) & videos
FA 2011 (3 times and 1 with DIT)
Goljian audios and notes ( twice )
Sometimes I was doin pretest but I found them useless
Neurology lectures of Dr.Njeeb (greatly useful but I've no time for the rest)

Questions:

UW
Qbook
some pretest
Some of kaplan Q bank (one friend gave it to me)
NBME (7 online, 11 & 13 offline)

The Detailes:

First Round:

I started with Kaplan LN along with the Videos, I was just having a look while I listen to the videos, it was on & off, and it took about 2 months. After each book finished, I took the kaplan Q book first test.
After doing pathology from Kaplan I listened to Dr.Goljan audios, it was great, he gives you confidence and teaches you more than pathology.

I did a Kaplan diagnostic test and got 74%

Then I started DIT with first look on FA , it was helpful , this took about 1 month

Second round:

Then I started my second reading of Kaplan LN alone without DVD, now more focused, again it took 2 months. Also after each subject finished I did the related test from Kaplan Q book, there was improvement from first test.

USMLEWORLD:

Then I started with the best tool in the preparation UW, I was doing 2 blocks (RANDOM, MIXED, TIMED) in the morning and not reviewing them, then I do FA, and at night I review the 2 blocks, each block take about 2-3 Hr, I was Writing the wrong answers as well as the guessed ones in a separate papers ( NOT on FA), When I reached 70% I took UWSA 1 and got 260, this gave me a great dose of confidence, then finished UW, it was 80%.

I completed first Aid for one time, then I did NBME 7 on-line and got 252 (Amazingly correlated to My Actual score, actually the same as real score) this was about 1.5 months from the test.

I did FA again and reviewed UW the false and marked ones and some of the correct, now ended up with 90%, and reviewed the study guide of DIT (filled with HY stuff) then I did NBME 11 OFF line ( I felt good with nearly 185-190 Q correct out of 200).

10 days prior to the big day:


I took my UWSA2 and got 265, ( Now I said to myself I will do it and get better than this score) Very important to keep the positive thinking, it will push you up incredibly.

I reviewed FA (forth times) and took the free 150 Q and got 94% 4 days before the test, it helped me to skip the tutorial part on the test and to see the screen of the test (100 % the same).

The 2 days before the test I didn’t study and went out walking and refreshing, went to the exam center to check the road and assess the time needed, and I was thinking that I’ve finished the work and now it’s time to harvest so I should be happy and relaxed. But I couldn’t fight the subconscious mind which prevent me from sleeping the night before the test, I woke up every hour at that night.

The Day of the Test:

I woke up at 6:30, took my breakfast and went out at 7:30, reached the center at 8.

The time in the test was good, I was left with 5-10 min after each block to review the marked Qs, only one block I couldn’t review all the marked as I had only 2 min.

I felt I did well on the test (to be honest I was thinking I will get 260+).

Assessment scores:


UW (Random, timed, mixed, unused) 80%
(second round incorrect and marked reached 90%)
NBME 7 ……..(1.5 month before) …. 252
UWSA 1 ……..(2 months before) ……260
UWSA 2 ……..(10 days before) ………265
Free 150 Q ….(4 days before) ……….94%

The real Step1 252/87 (As NBME 7)

Over all:

-keep the study fun, every thing new you know will help you in the future to help people.
-Keep the +ve thinking (this is greatly important, I can’t tell how important is this), this will help you cope with the tuff material.
-Be sure that you Can Do It, as many have did it, and many will do it.
-Do Qs as much as you can, this will make you pay attention to things you ignored.
-FA is great and try doing it 3 times at least (the more the better).
-Goljan audios are useful as I said above, he make things looks very easy and understandable.

I wish you all the best, any question is welcomed and I hope I can help.