Decent MCAT, Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PackOfCards

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a 3.1 cumulative undergrad GPA, 3.1 BPCM GPA
and a 3.6 cumulative graduate GPA, 3.9 BPCM GPA
I also got a 32S on the MCATS (phys: 12 verbal: 11 bio: 9)

I know my undergrad GPA is a bit low, but I was wondering are my chances decent for getting into an M.D/D.O program? I have some decent E.C's and both of my degrees are from top tier institutions (unfortunately in engineering). Any thoughts, I'm not looking to get into Harvard or anything, but I was just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not unfortunate that you have a degree in engineering. I'm also an engineer and I'd like to think that we are at least on an even standing with other majors. Some people think that engineers get a little more leeway with low gpa so that may end up helping out but i would not count on it. You definitely have a shot at some MD schools, specially your state school and some of the more lenient private schools. I don't know much about D.O. but from what I can tell you would have an excellent shot at quite a few D.O. schools.

Hey all,
I have a 3.1 cumulative undergrad GPA, 3.1 BPCM GPA
and a 3.6 cumulative graduate GPA, 3.9 BPCM GPA
I also got a 32S on the MCATS (phys: 12 verbal: 11 bio: 9)

I know my undergrad GPA is a bit low, but I was wondering are my chances decent for getting into an M.D/D.O program? I have some decent E.C's and both of my degrees are from top tier institutions (unfortunately in engineering). Any thoughts, I'm not looking to get into Harvard or anything, but I was just curious.

Haha, I definitely don't regret doing engineering, it just sort of sucks that alot of our classes are 1) ridiculously hard 2) horribly curved. What kind of engineering do you do?

Thanks for the input!

It's not unfortunate that you have a degree in engineering. I'm also an engineer and I'd like to think that we are at least on an even standing with other majors. Some people think that engineers get a little more leeway with low gpa so that may end up helping out but i would not count on it. You definitely have a shot at some MD schools, specially your state school and some of the more lenient private schools. I don't know much about D.O. but from what I can tell you would have an excellent shot at quite a few D.O. schools.

Electrical and Computer engineering. Don't sweat the classes, I think adcoms can figure out how hard and competitive some of our classes were. Good luck to you with applications.

Haha, I definitely don't regret doing engineering, it just sort of sucks that alot of our classes are 1) ridiculously hard 2) horribly curved. What kind of engineering do you do?

Thanks for the input!